Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: What size gas check for 32-20

Boolit Buddy

Question What size gas check for 32-20

Ok guys need some thoughts on this.
    I was all set to go get some gas checks for the 32-20, then the thought hit me what size?? .30 cal is too small and .32 cal is too large.... Here I am looking at a .313 bullet and have no idea, .308 checks or .323 checks......
    Yep, real confused, think I will just go melt some more lead for right now.

Greg
    NRA Life Member
    "Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin, 1776
    Vis Sis Mis!

Boolit Master
    Standerd 30 cal is what I use.
    BIC/BS

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Yep, .30 cal. works good on .303 British with .314" boolits, so should be perfect on your .313" CBs.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Buddy

Talking

Thanks guys,

That is what I will try then, wish me luck.

Greg
    NRA Life Member
    "Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin, 1776
    Vis Sis Mis!

Boolit Master

The .30 GCs will work fine. They'll bump up and seal once that pressure hits the base./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master
    This might be an appropriate time to bring up something I saw in "The Fouling Shot" this month (#177). On Page 177-11, correspondent Jay C. Dye of Estacia, OR writes about "A Gas Check Expander", basically a flared punch used to re-contour the open end of the GC to accomodate shanks on castings that are a little too fat for the ideal "snap-on" relationship.

I mention this because the 30 caliber boolits have provided the greatest need for just such a tool in my experience. My #311291 and #311316 both have shanks that are just a taste too big, and without flaring the check, the things will seat by gouging up shank metal--and will reliably throw fliers when fired.

Mr. Dye uses a drill press with his punch, and a plastic coffee can lid to cushion the checks. For 30 caliber checks, I've used an old steel Lee Loader case flaring punch from a 38 Special set. It takes a pretty light tap or two from a small plastic mallet to do the flaring--I use a piece of scrap 2" x 4" as a "cushion". One of my 25 caliber molds--#257420--does the same thing, and a light tap with a .323" RCBS neck expander spud sets the right flare on those critters.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    I use a tapered punch made from a 5/16" bolt for flaring .30 cal. checks. For .35 cal a punch made by driving a .22 Hornet case into any 7 mm cartridge case, mouth to mouth, works fine. The Hornet rim is exactly oversize .35 cal. When flaring gaschecks, annealing makes it easier. Why doesn't Hornady anneal GC at the factory? If a shank is the right size, no harm is done, and if the shank is over or undersize, annealing fixes it.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Grand Master
    Another mfg. step--annealing--would just spike the prices some more. Add to that--casting of boolits isn't a growth industry, and I don't see Hornady going out of their way to do much more for the microscopic portion of their customer base that uses gas checks.

In other words--I think we are on our own. Like so much in this hobby field, we wind up finishing the work the manufacturers start pretty well--but can't quite complete correctly.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.