Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory Range Officer 9 mm

Boolit Master

Springfield Armory Range Officer 9 mm

I am thinking about purchasing one of these pistols to use for informal bullseye practice (25 & 50 yard) to improve my skills with a pistol. I intend to use bullets that I cast exclusively and am looking for lots of inexpensive but accurate practice ammo. Further, I expect to load, say, 105 to 125 grain bullets at 700 to 850 fps mv. If necessary, I will change/lighten the recoil spring. Your thoughts and comments are welcome. Should I consider any other modifications to the pistol: throat, crown, trigger, etc? I do not want to add $1,000 or more of bells & whistles. In fact, I'd rather spend my money on powder and primers. Please feel free to offer your comments on anything regarding the gun, ammo, handloading the 9 mm, etc.

Thanks and regards,

Tony

Boolit Buddy

I've always thought the 1911 would make a great 9mm lead launcher.
    Easy on lead and powder supply, and that 1 in 16 twist would be better than the usual 1 in 10.
    GrabAGun has a good price on them right now. Good luck!

Boolit Master

Never had a 9mm range officer, but I have 2 of them .45cal and a Springfield .45 Loaded. All 3 will shoot as well if not better than I'm able, 1 RO has a Clark .460 Rowland conversion in it & if I'm having a decent day it'll keep 7 inside a tennis ball sized circle @ 100. I'd expect your 9mm RO will shoot quite well, perhaps even better than you can hold it. Best of luck with it!
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master
    Ia.redneck,

Thanks for the heads-up on GrabAGun. For this pistol, $700 is the best price I've yet seen.

RoyEllis,

Thanks for your input. Even though I've been shooting for more than 55 years and handloading for about 50 years I'm still a novice with a hand gun. I now have the time to put in some serious practice.

Best regards,

Tony

Vendor Sponsor

You won't really know if it needs throated until you get it in hand and look in the bore. If it's typical as most ROs go, throat and crown would definitely be a noticeable improvement in both feeding and "plunking" your loads, and also an improvement in group size.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Thanks DougGuy. TJ

I have a RO in 9mm. Mine is a fine pistol, I bought it new when they first came out, probably have 2k rounds through it now.
    I shoot the NOE 135g rnfp, and a Mihec 9mm bullet, forget which one right now. Both sized to .358", no issues with feeding or chambering. I lube with BAC, no leading.
    Really a fun pistol to shoot, it's accurate and reliable, no recoil, and a nice lead saving over a .45.
    I have only replaced the trigger with a short one, (small hands), and a few other external mods. No barrel mods.
    Go for it, good luck!

Boolit Master
    Thanks wrench,

It sounds as though you are using your RO 9 mm much like I intend to use mine; low cost, low recoil practice.

Regards,

Tony

Boolit Master

A buddy of mine, also a member on this forum, was having issues with his 9mm semi auto. He tried many different loads and noticed a real improvement when he sized his boolits to .357. And he hit paydirt when he tried to size them at .358. And he gets his best accuracy with a 130 grain boolit....
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

tony
    I'm replying since you mentioned bullseye shooting although in an informal sense. I am a bullseye shooter for the past 35 or 40 years. First off, your choice of a Springfield Range officer is an excellent choice. When I ask my bullseye gunsmiths which pistol they prefer to accurize, they mention the Springfield offerings as a first choice. The Range Officer is generally accurate enough right out of the box to accommodate a beginning bullseye shooter for awhile and is a worthy candidate for a full accuracy job if the need arises.

Your choice of 9mm would certainly not be one of my choices. I would go with the .45acp. As I am sure you are aware, bullseye consists of an aggregate of 3 guns: .22 rimfire, centerfire (.32 cal or larger), and .45. Most all of the bullseye shooters use their .45's for the centerfire portion as well. We use the .45 for centerfire for a couple reasons. In order to get a 9mm to shoot well, it needs to be shot fairly hot so there is not a big difference in recoil and secondly, you've got to shoot the .45 sooner or later and using in two of the aggregates will allow you to progress with the .45 faster.

Probably not the info you are seeking so take it for what its worth,
    Phil

Boolit Master
    lbaize3, 22cf45:

Thanks for your comments/response. When I said informal bullseye I was referring to paper targets at 25 and 50 yards. While I have shot some registered events/formal disciplines in the past I do not desire to do so going forward. I may use IBS 200 or 300 yard targets in lieu of NRA bullseye targets. I hope to get to the point where I can consistently shoot 1-1/2 to 2" groups at 25 yards and twice that at 50. I intend to use a 2 hand grip. My shooting will overwhelmingly be on my personal range. I want a pistol that I can use for lots of accurate but inexpensive practice. I fully intend to also acquire a couple of .45's. I'd like a 4" pistol for carry and I also find myself attracted to a long slide .45.

Any response that adds to my knowledge is a positive thing as are comments that cause me to pause and think things over.

Best regards,

Tony

Tony
    If you achieve the results in group size you mention, we will be referring to you as high master I liked long slides also back in the day, but have to shoot dots now if I want to see the sights. A dot added to a long slide gets pretty heavy with one hand.
    Phil
    Distinguished Pistol
    Distinguished Revolver
    Presidents 100
    Elihu Root Gold Medal

Boolit Master
    Phil,

I stated a goal... I did not say I would get there. If I get there at all it will be with both hands and that will not qualify me for the High Master appelation. At one time I had a goal of winning either the IBS or NBRSA Nationals. My 100 yard aggs in LV and HV (low .2's) were almost good enough. My 200 yard aggs were, well, not good enough. Bench rest matches are, more often than not, won at 200.

I'm in my mid 60's and can still see the irons so I'll use them as long as I can before moving to a dot. I have a notion that with the right ammo I could use a long slide on deer and hogs.

Best regards,

Tony

Boolit Buddy
    I'd get the 45 if bullseye is your game. The 9mm needs to be pushed pretty hard to do well at 50. You have to shoot a 45 anyway. If one thing needs to be changed...it's the trigger.

tony
    The groups shot in benchrest amaze me. One of my bullseye shooting buddies was a benchrest shooter for quite a few years. Talking with him about all the little things needed to shoot those little bug hole groups is very interesting. The equipment needed to be competitive is nothing I'm familiar with.
    Phil

Boolit Buddy
    Phil Hemphill?

Boolit Master
    There seems to be a growing consensus around the .45 ACP. TJ

Boolit Master
    apen,

Would you have the trigger tuned or have it changed?

Thanks,

Tony

Boolit Buddy
    I would get a trigger job by a smith accustomed to tuning BE guns.
    You have a good starter platform. Stock guns don't come with triggers useful for learning how to shoot at 50 yards.
    Last edited by apen; 03-26-2015 at 11:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Phil,

It's been a while since I've played the BR game. My guess is that a competitive rifle and scope would today cost between $4k and $5k. Double that for a LV (10.5# weight limit) gun AND a HV (13.5# weight limit) gun. One could use the LV gun for both events but would be at a disadvantage. The 13.5# gun IS easier to shoot well. Add another couple thousand dollars for dies, arbor press, neck turning equipment and assorted doodads, components and barrels. Yes...barrels. The most competitive shooters believe a good barrel has a competitive life of 600 to 900 rounds.

My guess is that around 400 shooters compete at the Super Shoot and half of them have competitive equipment. Perhaps 20 or so of the competitors are capable of winning the event. It gets down to who can handle the conditions (wind/mirage). Half of the folks competing have rifles that will shoot in the .0's and .1's if no wind were present.

Have fun,

Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast