RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Think YOU Can Shoot A Long Ways? 10 Longest Sniper Shots In History

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Jonas302,

Since you admit you never fired LONG RANGE, I understand your comment. LOL. I did long range and know the problems of long range hits, that are beyond your understanding. I ask you one question: When did any of those LONG RANGERS do it TWICE?? Answer: Because the terrain and situation always change. Are you Military or former Military?

Are you merely a computer keyboard critic? I "Know how good you are" when it comes to long range? Keep typing, since it is easier than HITTING at Long Range! Be well.

Adam
    Well, that was kind of condescending. No matter how good you think you are, there's always someone who's better.
    Last edited by texaswoodworker; 03-25-2015 at 06:11 AM.

I myself don't have the opportunity to shoot at very long ranges but I was in the mountains of NC once on a groundhog hunt and watched a fellow shoot at a groundhog at 1750 yards. I left after his second shot as we went looking for closer targets because I didn't have the stuff to go that distance ( Was shooting a .223 Rem. 700). His second shot missed the groundhog a mere 3 inches. A man would have been no problem. He was shooting a .416 Rigby necked down to .30 cal. I was impressed and happy that I killed a few that day at 300 yards. Having seen that lets me know I don't want to stand out in the open very long and still. Practice and the right equipment will get you there. I often wonder if he ever got that varmint. He did say he had made kills at 1500 yards.... For the military snipers... yep, they are all good and knowing that a human is on the receiving end makes it even a more difficult shot....
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ixFAia0j2E Any of you guys interested in some long range competition come on down to Rayners Range and bring your rifles or pistol. http://www.raynersrange.com/results/results.html It's a lot of fun.

PS March 27-28-29 Spring Sniper Challenge http://www.raynersrange.com/schedule/schedule2015.html

Boolit Buddy
    This is an awesome post. I've never shot at further than 100 yards lol

Hornady makes bullets for all sizes of varmints!

Boolit Grand Master

God bless them all! Regret I never met Gunny Hathcock!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Got-R-Did View Post
    Luck my butt. That's just good old fashion skill!

That shot by Hathcock was documented in a book called Marine Sniper by Charles Henderson. Henderson interviewed Hathcock over a period of time to get the stories mentioned in the book. That super long range shot with the Browning machine gun was described in detail. My memory is not sure about the details so I will not specify anything.
    I no longer have the book but it is readily available online and is a good read.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Got-R-Did View Post
    wow!!! thats real good. i wish i could shoot that good!

A few years ago I was at a 1000yd range shooting beer cans off the top of the target post pretty consistently. Then I woke up and realized I was dreaming.

These shooters are incredible. I never had the physical capability to shoot like that even when I was young.

Boolit Grand Master

No doubt about it those are incredible shots by very skilled marksman but there is still an element of luck with each one of them. Luck verses skill is very subjective. For me skill is demonstrated by a high percentage of repeatability. Luck comes into play once the skills of the marksman, ammunition and rifle are exceeded. The more skilled you are the luckier you tend too be but once the skills of the marksman, ammunition and rifle are exceeded luck and skill go hand in hand.

Boolit Buddy
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ng-range-45-70

Here is a Sharps shooting paper patched bullets driven by black powder and barrel ladder sights at 1585 yards. This ain't luck.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    No doubt about it those are incredible shots by very skilled marksman but there is still an element of luck with each one of them. Luck verses skill is very subjective. For me skill is demonstrated by a high percentage of repeatability. Luck comes into play once the skills of the marksman, ammunition and rifle are exceeded. The more skilled you are the luckier you tend too be but once the skills of the marksman, ammunition and rifle are exceeded luck and skill go hand in hand.
    No Offence M-T, I don't believe in luck. I put my trust into my rifle and load. And I would be willing to bet looking at all of those spots on that Buffalo using a black powder load at that range they shot it, those three guys also put their trust in their rifle also!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    luck does not exist. skill does. i, like keith andersen, trust my rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Difference of opinion. I see both skill and luck happening to make these shots. Watch the video and tell me there isn't some luck in this. Laying the rounds out in the sun to get more velocity isn't exactly scientific. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j309N-USAkY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Harrison_(sniper)

In November 2009, Harrison consecutively struck two Taliban machine gunners south of Musa Qala in Helmand Province in Afghanistan at a range of 2,475 m (2,707 yd) using a L115A3 Long Range Rifle.[6][7][8][9][10] In a BBC interview, Harrison reported it took about nine shots for him and his spotter to initially range the target successfully. Then, he reported, his first shot "on target" was a killing shot followed consecutively by a kill shot on a second machine gunner then a third which disabled the machine gun.[11]
    In the reports, Harrison mentions the environmental conditions were perfect for long range shooting: no wind, mild weather and clear visibility.[11

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Furlong

A group of three Al-Qaeda fighters were moving into a mountainside position when Furlong took aim with his Long Range Sniper Weapon (LRSW), a .50-caliber McMillan Brothers Tac-50 rifle, loaded with Hornady A-MAX 750 gr very-low-drag bullets. He began firing at a fighter carrying an RPK machine gun. Furlong's first shot missed and his second shot hit the knapsack on the target's back. The third struck the target's torso, killing him. The distance was measured as 2,430 m (2,657 yd). With a muzzle speed of 823 m/s (2,700 ft/s), each shot reached the target almost four seconds after Furlong fired

Carlos Hathcock --- I never met Carlos II but I had a couple of drinks with Carlos III at Camp Perry in the mid 90's. Very nice guy. The post below has a good understanding the "luck" involved. I don't remember if it was in the book or an interview but Carlos stated the scoped M2 was not overly accurate but it did allow for some very long shots

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/809...e_.html&page=2

In the scenarios where he used the M2, he was essentially in a support fire role and not a classic "one shot one kill" sniper mission.

He had an entire can of linked ammo to fire if he needed to. His record distance shot occured while a marine sweep was being conducted in the jungle, his M2 was placed on a hill top to fire into an opening/rice padi to put down suppressive fire in the event any NVA/VC were to try to escape the sweep. He tried turning the dude around and the guy failed to take a clue, also was lucky that the enemy soldier was running through the area where Hathcock had zero'd his M2 for. At such long range probability and statistics prevent you from having the kind of accuracy to count on a hit and it turns into a random chance lottery with fair probability of getting all dicked up. Skill and experience of the shooter definitely count for something but they would be the first to attribute the shot to being in part luck at such extreme range, biggest thing helping the shot was probably Hathcock's experience telling him the most appropriate area to zero the scope for with the highest probability of somebody popping out(just like good hunters will do for predicting where game will pop out of the bush).

Most milspec 50BMG will fall subsonic at the 1800-2000 yard mark, this is going to cause problems with accuracy as the rounds fall subsonic and come through the sound barrier.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-26-2015 at 11:29 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast