Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Think YOU Can Shoot A Long Ways? 10 Longest Sniper Shots In History

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Here's another point to ponder. But a 50 cal that will deliver a 100 yd ragged hole of 1" is only good for 11" at 2000 yd , spin drift ,windage etc has been well covered.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Here's another point to ponder. But a 50 cal that will deliver a 100 yd ragged hole of 1" is only good for 11" at 2000 yd , spin drift ,windage etc has been well covered.
    I'd sure take that at 2k - anytime.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I am not following the math on this one. Groups are measured center to center not to the outside of the group so it would be 20" at 2,000 yds.

The reality is that groups tend to open up as the distance increases due to bullet imbalance and most importantly velocity variations. At 100 yard a 50 FPS variation will not affect the group however at 2,000 yards it give you 60” additional in drop.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-18-2015 at 09:31 PM.

Understood. As a point of reference it is unlikely that 1st off a rifle would maintain a 1/4 MOA and just because a spotter and shooter do all off the hard numbers doesn't mean that the unreasolvable won't still cause a miss . 11 to 20 inches is pretty much nothing when you're calculated hold over is near 300 ft and windage is over 60ft . I would venture that few us have the whatever to make those shots over and over.

I would bet Billy Dixon missed by 4-8 ft . Why shoot an brave when the Chief is right there ?

I don't have the skill refinement to make the shots needed for long range shooting even if I had a 1 hole rifle unless it was 3 point sledded rail gun then maybe. Certainly not after a 5 mile ruck and laying in the muck for 2 days.

I used to strive for the 5 touching now I see that it isn't necessary for my level or lack of skill.

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    I doubt that Billy Dixon missed by 4-8 feet. My money says that he shot the particular Indian he shot simply because that Indian presented a better sight picture for the iron sights used on the 1874 Sharps.

Ok over my head I'll go now.....

Boolit Grand Master

Depending on which version of the Billy Dixon shot you want to believe it varies from one shot at a specific Indian that was slapping his butt to hitting one on the third shot when shooting at a group of Indians.

All accounts do agree the shot was made with a borrowed rifle.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-19-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456