Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Think YOU Can Shoot A Long Ways? 10 Longest Sniper Shots In History

Vendor Sponsor

Think YOU Can Shoot A Long Ways? 10 Longest Sniper Shots In History

http://controversialtimes.com/milita...ts-in-history/

Ever since the advent of firearms on the battlefield, the marksman has been a critical centerpiece to warfare.
    Of course, as rifles, optics and ammunition become more technologically advanced that has increased the distance at which modern snipers can engage the enemy. Ballistic computers and realtime weather tools have further increased the sniper’s ability.

Here are the 10 longest, confirmed shots in military history, starting with #10.

10. Steve Reichert, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, United States Marine Corps (US)
    Distance: 1,765 yd
    Date: April 2004
    Firearm: Barrett M82A3
    Ammunition: Raufoss NM140 MP (.50 Cal) rounds
    Conflict: Iraq War- Latifiya

9. Corporal Christopher Reynolds, 3 Scots – The Black Watch (UK)
    Distance: 2,026 yd
    Date: August 2009
    Firearm: Accuracy International L115A3
    Ammunition: .338 Lapua Magnum LockBase B408 bullets
    Conflict: War in Afghanistan

8. Chief Petty Officer Chris Kyle, US Navy SEAL – Team 3, Charlie (US)
    Distance: 2,100 yd
    Date: August 2008
    Firearm: McMillan Tac-338
    Ammunition: .338 Lapua Magnum
    Conflict: Iraq War – Sadr City

7. Nicholas Ranstad, United States Army 1-91 Cav/173d ABCT (US)
    Distance: 2,288 yd
    Date: January 2008
    Firearm: Barrett M82A1
    Ammunition: .50 BMG

6. Unnamed South African Special Forces sniper, South African Special Forces Brigade (SA)
    Distance: 2,324 yd
    Date: August 2013
    Firearm: Denel NTW-14.5
    Ammunition: 14.5x114mm
    Conflict: United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo

5. Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock, 1st Marine Division, United States Marine Corps (US)
    Distance: 2,500 yd
    Date: February 1967
    Firearm: M2 Browning machine gun
    Ammunition: .50 BMG
    Conflict: Vietnam War

4. Sgt. Bryan Kremer, 2nd Ranger Battalion (US)
    Distance: 2,515 yd
    Date: March 2004
    Firearm: Barrett M82A1
    Ammunition: Raufoss NM140 MP (.50 Cal)
    Conflict: Iraq War

3. Master Corporal Arron Perry, 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (CA)
    Distance: 2,526 yd
    Date: March 2002
    Firearm: McMillan Tac-50
    Ammunition: Hornady A-MAX .50 (.50 BMG)

2. Corporal Rob Furlong, 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (CA)
    Distance: 2,657 yd
    Date: March 2002
    Firearm: McMillan Tac-50
    Ammunition: Hornady A-MAX .50 (.50 BMG)

1. Corporal of Horse (CoH) Craig Harrison, Household Cavalry (UK)
    Distance: 2,707 yd
    Date: November 2009
    Firearm: Accuracy International L115A3
    Ammunition: .338 Lapua Magnum LockBase B408 bullets

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the list.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Three cheers for Brandon Bryant.

Its amazing seeing that some snipers in wwii made kills at 1200 yards with 2.5x scopes.

Look closely at the dates and equipment used in that list. One of those stands out in particular. 1967? A Browning M2?

Carlos Hathcock. THAT is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Expanman View Post
    Look closely at the dates and equipment used in that list. One of those stands out in particular. 1967? A Browning M2?

Better yet with an older Unetrl 10x.

Boolit Master
    I would like to see what someone like Carlos Hathcock, Simo Hayha, or Vasily Zaytsev could have accomplished with the equipment available today - GPS, laser rangefinders, a pocket computer or smart phone, and a rifle/optic/ammo system of the quality that are available today. Those three men are arguably the best, or certainly among the very best, snipers that ever lived.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I would like to see what someone like Carlos Hathcock, Simo Hayha, or Vasily Zaytsev could have accomplished with the equipment available today - GPS, laser rangefinders, a pocket computer or smart phone, and a rifle/optic/ammo system of the quality that are available today. Those three men are arguably the best, or certainly among the very best, snipers that ever lived.
    No disrespect meant to the snipers of today, for they are FAR better at what they do than I will ever be, but I submit that the snipers of today are standing on the shoulders of giants, and therefore, there IS no arguement.

Boolit Master
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

Banned

That's incredible alright.

Boolit Master
    DougGuy,

Thanks for the post. You forgot to include a Knowledgeable Spotter!!! Luck and All the Planets being in Alignment sure helped, but we needed a Spotter!. As an old sniper, I watched a History Channel Program on Snipers and LONG HITS. Thankfully, they credited the Spotters because darn FEW were EVER "One Shot-One Kill." In fact that Canadian soldier fired 3 or 5 shots BEFORE he hit that target.

As a sniper who "Did the Do", let me say the Wind, Light, Mirage and target movement made it difficult to "Smoke" them at long range. Yes, we shot many times to take them down. At the LONGEST Ranges, did you ever hear a sniper say it WAS, "One-Shot, One KILL." In the real world, we shot often and appreciated a hit. Our SPOTTERS deserve a lot more RESPECT than they are getting. Been there, done that.

Adam

I'd vote for this guy - " The incredible shot taken by Billy Dixon during the battle at Adobe Walls in the Texas panhandle in June 1874 is one that many consider to be the greatest ever made. Using a Sharps “Big 50” .50 caliber buffalo rifle, Dixon took careful aim, fired, and struck a hostile Indian sitting on horseback at an estimated distance of 1,538 yards — 9/10ths of a mile away!"
    Or http://www.longrangebpcr.com/TCFacts.htm. Not to diss any of our top shots in any way.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

how much would suck to be Aaron Perry? Look at #3 and #2. You go back to the base "hey, I got a confirmed kill today at 2526 yards!"

"Oh yeah? Well I got a confirmed kill today at 2657 yards. beat that!"

--------------------

I'm just kidding of course. They would have been bragging in meters.

Boolit Master

No doubt it was not a typical issue gun. Likely a cherry picked barrel, a trigger job, and used it like a single shot.

In 1967? I have no personal knowledge, but I suspect it was more like "Carlos! You have to take this guy out! Closest we can get you is 3,000 yds. What do you need? And the man looks at the gun on the back of the jeep.

My understanding is that at the time, snipers and their 'handlers' had to make do with whatever they could get their hands on. Cherry picking? Hmmmm. . . .

Now, if someone has inside knowledge, please speak up. Carlos himself likely spoke of the shot, and I have not heard of the tale.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 03-21-2015 at 11:30 PM.

I can't even imagine the hassles of scoping an M2, let alone using it for precision shooting.

Boolit Master

I know modern snipers have many advantages over those of the past and maybe I'm easily impressed but a kill at 1.538 miles (2707 yds) is incredible any way you cut it!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

According to Wikipedia, the weapon (Browning M2) was used by Carlos on more than 1 occasion. What is not mentioned is if it was the EXACT same weapon or not.

Anyway you care to look at it, it's just incredible.

As is his entire military career, if anyone cares to look into it.

A giant at 5' 10".

Boolit Master
    Those "Mile Long+/- Shots" were LUCK! If NOT, then why were they NOT done EVERYDAY? Like a Hole-In-One on the golf course from 275 yards, LUCK and MULTIPLE Shots were part of the HIT Equation! If anyone disagrees, I suggest you try it. In most cases MULTIPLE Shots were fired due to SPOTTER Corrections given to the shooter. ANY Long Range shooter understands, light, wind, mirage and personal breathing and heartbeat.

Adam

Boolit Buddy
    Luck is not real just like pixie dust no one said it can be done everyday I highly disagree with you no I can't go try it I am not good enough and neither are you

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast