View Poll Results: Which caliber 1873?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • 357 Magnum

64 44.44%
  • 45 Colt

80 55.56%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which cartridge in 1873 and why?

Boolit Master

I have a Uberti '73 in .357, it's held up just fine for many years, lots of .357 rounds and lord knows how many .38's. My favorite though is a Uberti in 38-40.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    I just noticed this is an old thread. I will say that I don't think the toggle link action is up to years of .357 pressures..........
    For a few years Uberti chambered their 1873 in .44 Magnum. I had one.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I would think modern materials greatly increase the ability of the toggle action to resist wear over time. The old guns were relatively soft - we now have the benefit of improved production and testing.

Over the last few years a couple of photos of destroyed 1873's have surfaced. In each case the action survived while the barrel was blown out of the action in one case and the barrel had a hole blown in it in the other. I'll see if I can find them.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I would like to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    I would like to see them.
    I thought I had saved the photos to my computer but can't find them. I know for sure that I saw them on www.cascity.com forums. I'll see if I can find them.

35W

NRA Life Member

Found it, or at least one of the posts. Scroll down to post #25.

Smokeless in an Original 73!

35W
    Last edited by 35 Whelen; 08-05-2022 at 10:56 AM.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I had an original in 38-40 and it was sweet! Traded it for a 44-40 with a better bore and it didn't shoot any better, I was sorry I traded.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I had an original in 38-40 and it was sweet! Traded it for a 44-40 with a better bore and it didn't shoot any better, I was sorry I traded.
    Me too, only I still have it; an 1886 production (the one on top of the post)-

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Unless you are carring a hand gun in the same calibor. I would go with the 45/70. Can load it up or down for what ever you need ?? We carry a 45/70 in bear country. More rounds in gun than shotgun and more powerful >>

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I thought I had saved the photos to my computer but can't find them. I know for sure that I saw them on www.cascity.com forums. I'll see if I can find them.

35W

Oooh ok an original. Makes sense now. I thought you meant a repro.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    I am not particularly keen on either one in a 73.My choice would be a .38/40 win
    I like original chambering for that rifle,and the .38/40 is very accurate and fun to shoot..
    The .32/20,.38/40 or .44/40 and I would buy one. Otherwise no.
    Agree. If it's not in one of the calibers that the rifle was made in originally I would not have one. Personally the 38 WCF is a dream for reloading and shooting.

I can't vote in the poll because there aren't any proper 1873 Winchester cartridges listed.
    Here are my three choices:
    #1 44WCF Plenty of power, accurate to at least 200 meters, good bullet weight for medium size game and metallic silhouette targets.
    #2 38WCF Nearly as powerful , accurate out to at least 200 meters, good bullet weight for medium size game and metallic silhouette targets. A little flatter shooting than the 44WCF.
    #3 32WCF Decent bullet weight for small game/varmints, pistol caliber metallic silhouette targets and maybe home defense .

Boolit Master

Can't vote. The only caliber I would buy in the 1873 would be the .44-40 (WCF).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDMAGNUM View Post
    I can't vote in the poll because there aren't any proper 1873 Winchester cartridges listed.
    Here are my three choices:
    #1 44WCF Plenty of power, accurate to at least 200 meters, good bullet weight for medium size game and metallic silhouette targets.
    #2 38WCF Nearly as powerful , accurate out to at least 200 meters, good bullet weight for medium size game and metallic silhouette targets. A little flatter shooting than the 44WCF.
    #3 32WCF Decent bullet weight for small game/varmints, pistol caliber metallic silhouette targets and maybe home defense .
    another cant vote

1 38/40
    2 44/40
    3 32/20

others ---not interested ...I'll wait till a proper one shows up or pass (got enough stuff in my safe)

Boolit Master

The point of the thread was to choose one or the other option. Maybe give some pros and cons for one or the other.
    Seems most people here would rather be without a gun than to have one in a non WCF cartridge.

The point of the thread was to choose one or the other option. Maybe give some pros and cons for one or the other.
    Seems most people here would rather be without a gun than to have one in a non WCF cartridge.
    Yup. To at least a certain degree. The 1873 action is different than John Moses Browning designs, so I am guessing the chambers could be closer to spec. I owned an 1892 Japchester in 45 Colt and one in 357 magnum. I also owned a Rossi in 357 magnum. All three had over sized out of round chambers to allow a straight walled cartridge to enter the chamber at an angle. The 45 Colt was the worst. All three were not accurate and had blow by unless high pressure reloads were used. The Japchester 45 Colt was sent to John Taylor for gender reassignment surgery. It is now chambered in 44WCF and is accurate with light, moderate and heavy loads with smokeless and black powder. So.......basically the straight wall modern cartridges in a lever action rifle are less than attractive to me. I would rather have one less rifle than an inaccurate troublesome rifle.
    This is my experience and my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

The problem with modern 73' replicas is that the early replicas used a weak part designed for the 60' and 66'. The firing pin stop is a .58" (.058?) to .79" (.079"?) diameter pin rather than the original design firing pin extension stop plate.

I would suggest periodic inspections of this pin if that is what is in your 73'. This part is no longer manufactured and at one point conversion bolt kits were available..

Weak part #104 - https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/sh...rti+1860+Henry
    Strong part #721 - https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/sh...i+1873+Carbine

There are photos floating around the internet of original 73's with the chambers blown out, but the toggles are not affected. However, extended wear is a major culprit on many things going bad!

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I’m a big fan of all .45 cartridges in general and I have both the .45 and .357 in lever guns . With all honesty I shoot the .357 more . I shoot a lot of .38’s thru it . I believe it has much more flexibility over the .45 . Just MHO .
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    my gun safe(s) does not suffer from a lack of guns so there is no "be without a gun" issue
    I participated in the hope that if enough of us express this opinion the manufacturers might pull their heads out and again offer these firearms in the calibres for which they were designed at least in addition to the present situation of botched up oversize chambers, or in case of using blackpowder the constant case annealing it takes to get them to function satisfactorily.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast