RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Packaging Secrets of Success

The zip lock baggies needed an outer wrapper. The free tyvek envelopes from post office work well, or even double bagged in the grocery bags used as padding. Something that prevents a crushed box from leaking the contents. I also can't help but notice the absence of fiber tape along the corners and edges. Not wrapped in clear plastic box tape either. My guess is any two of these three would have prevented the situation.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Mold
    I shipped some third member corvette rearends. I wrapped it in a trash bag then sat it in the heavy guage cardboard box i built. Setting it on a bed of used Styrofoam from the same place I found the card board. I sprayed cracks and gaps then add more pieces of Styrofoam them more cracks and gaps it makes a bonded cacoon surrounding the 85 lbs of third member. Works really well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Here's a couple of pictures of what not to do:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	As Delivered.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	218303

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	What's Inside.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	218302

Box far too big for contents, "stuffing" was 2 to 4 air-pillows which didn't survive long, and the box wasn't taped all around, leaving gaps at the ends under the flaps (why there's only one bullet loose in the box though the plastic bag was open at the end?). Haven't weighed to see if somehow I lucked out and got all the bullets.
    Last edited by Ed in North Texas; 04-13-2018 at 07:53 PM.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

For the past several years when I ship something I pack it tightly with wood pellets that I use for heating my home and tape the outside liberally. So far no complaints.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Master
    First think I do when packing a rifle is take the bolt out. Bubble wrap the heck out of the gun. Then add bubble wrap or heavy cardboard wround the butt and muzzle.Then take the bolt and double up the wrap and tape it to the already bubble wrapped rifle.So it won't go anywhere. My packages looks like a mummy was wrapped inside. Then all seams in the box containg both rifle and bolt are usually wrapped three times. To date all rifles shipped I have had no complaints about busted boxes. Frank

Boolit Bub
    If stuff wont fit into a SFRB, before going to MFRB, look into a "Regional Rate Box A". It's pretty roomy and isn't that much more than the the cost of a SFRB. I had 5 boxes of bullets to send that would not fit in a SFRB, but would the A box. Postage from NY to Tenn came to $9 and change.
    Last edited by gwozdz; 11-21-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Boolit Buddy

If I use evil plastic peanuts as "dunnage" to protect not-too-heavy item(s) shipped in a carton, I double-bag the peanuts in plastic shopping bags sealed liberally with 2" packing tape. It keeps them where they should be, keeps them from contaminating the item(s), and makes unpacking for the recipient much easier and far more tidy.

If the item(s) is heavy, I'll use the expanding foam in a bag technique mentioned previously. I'll also tape the box in all three axes - on the seams, across the seams, and around the unseamed side. In rainy weather or winter I'll tape the entire carton, if not most of it for improved water resistance and physical strength.

As others have mentioned, the key to successful shipping is effective immobilization of the contents by whatever means necessary.

Noah

The free padded flat rate envelopes are same price as SFRB but can hold at least twice the brass. You may find one or two at local post office if you ask at the counter but not generally stocked. Can order them in quantity from the USPS online site. They are free.

I keep brass in plastic sandwich or freezer bags. Those go into the tyvek envelopes available for free at post office. The tyvek package goes into the padded FR envelope. I know I have shipped pretty large quantity of 30-06 brass in them and have received several hundred revolver or over 100 of 303 British rounds in the padded envelopes. Well over what would go in SFRB for same shipping cost. Including to Alaska or Hawaii.

I do add some fiber tape folded over the edge seams of the padded envelope for added strength.

Plastic bag and Tyvek prevent brass mouth from pushing through and poking holes in padded bag. Also make brass act like a single object so padded bag doesn't flop and have opportunity to fold and split. No problems so far. Same idea as most of the boxing approaches. Keep it from moving, avoid sharp edges that can bust through, secure seams.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

As far as I'm concerned presses are about the worst thing to ship. Awkward, heavy, lots of edges and angles to poke through box or seams. I think I would be inclined to try the bag of spray foam to nest it in.

Or scales because they are despite being sturdy somewhat delicate instruments.

Boolit Bub
    If shipping something heavy and pointy like a reloading press, I always wrap it tight in cardboard and tape it tight. This creates a smooth layer. Then use more cardboard sheets to keep the smoothed press from slamming around in the outer shipping box.
    I've been shipping many flat rate boxes with 30-45lb of various bullets for reloading. I tape each box shut and use saran wrap to wrap each box to protect from water and to keep them from spilling if the box breaks. Then saran wrap stacks of two or three boxes to stack in the package. I usually add layers of cardboard or flooring scraps to reinforce the bottom and walls. Lots of tape around the outside of the box in case it turns into a bag somewhere along the ride.
    Don't forget about the USPS "Shoe Box" (approx 15x8x8) ship by weight. Great for scopes, brass, anything that won't fit in the SFRB or padded envelope. I use pirate ship for best pricing anywhere.

Boolit Master

Just my .02 worth.......
    I got this tip from the window attendant at my local post office.
    I had 2 small flat rate boxes to ship to the same location; cost (then) $8.70 each; he laid the two boxes side by side and taped them together securely.
    Then he slid the two boxes into a flat rate 12x14 (I think) Tyvek flat rate envelope; cost $6.45 (then).

NOW, here's my complaint. I shipped a (ammo) properly marked package to a good friend who lives about 100 miles away via UPS. Sounds simple, right?
    UPS subcontracts to the US Postal Service to deliver their packages; while it appeared to be lost in transit somewhere, it finally arrived at its destination 2 months later.

Just food for thought,

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

12. 04-13-2022, 11:32 AM

Boolit Mold
    Not too long ago, I shipped a large flat rate box full of pure lead bricks from the east coast to Alaska. The box weighted about 60 pounds.. and as stated in the original post, you have to pack it so it DOES NOT MOVE within the box, and I used an entire roll of fiberglass reinforced tape to make sure it would hold together no matter what angle it hit the floor on.. It arrived safely and the buyer was impressed with the packaging.. However what I saved on shipping using a flat rate box, I think I spent on the firberglass reinforced tape.... that stuff ain't cheap!

Boolit Master

The best deal I have found on fiberglass reinforced tape is a 6 roll package from Amazon. Still not cheap but better than one roll at a time from the office supply.

Anyone considering selling and shipping anything, should think about the effect on their reputation if the package arrives damaged due to poor packing. A little extra cost is a good investment.
    Last edited by alamogunr; 02-28-2023 at 11:24 AM.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Years ago I shipped a partially diamantled shotshell press through UPS in a tomato box, about the strongest readily available box you can find. This was before UPS stores so I took it to a small UPS terminal in a nearby town. The individual pieces were well padded and all was packed tight. I had already taped it well but the counter man added about 100% to my tape job! It arrived in good condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12