Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 1911 VS Glock

Love Life
    I wonder what John M. Browning would create today with all the new materials available. What the man did during his time on this earth is just simply astounding.

I have them both and use them both, but they are not comparable pistols, is not fair to compare the two.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have them both and use them both, but they are not comparable pistols, is not fair to compare the two.
    I agree.

I've been a handgun shooter for about 6+ years. My first handgun was a gen 3 G17, it was my only handgun for about 3yrs, I put about 12k down the pipe that first 3yrs but I never could shoot it well, good enough for SD but not accurate in my hands. I finally came to the solution, it just doesn't fit my hands. Bought a 1911 and the glock sat for 18months, unfired. I found the solution to my accurate shooting woes on the first day. Me and the 1911 just get along better, ergonomically. I sold the glock and now own 7 1911's and one 2011.

About a year ago a buddy got a gen4 g35, I picked it up and took out a falling plate rack in short order at 15yds, apparently it was me all the time. I recently picked up a G29 for carry, accuracy seems on par with my other shooting. I still will shoot 1911's more, maybe for sake of nostalgia. I'm in the process of replacing all my non 1911 semi's with glocks. Guns are tools, like hammers, with proper training and practice anyone can use either. For carry I'll use glocks, competition/plinking/showing off the 1911 still holds a edge.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I think it is INEVITABLE to compare the two.

The thing I grouse about most in pistol design is that so often things are done for the safety of idiots (notably DA-to-SA triggers and decockers) that the handgun's originally-intended function AS A WEAPON is degraded. The 1911 had some features (grip and thumb safeties) installed for the benefit of the lowest common denominator, but it was designed before the existence of the nanny state. The Glock recognized the drawbacks of the nanny state design philosophy and started to head back toward the pure weapon - while still addressing the fact that you have to keep it simple for a lot of folks. As long as you hammer in "keep your booger hook off the bang switch", you don't need to hammer them on much else.

And I also like to point out that 100 years on, we need to be a little careful in defining a "1911" for this comparison. The trend looks promising (to me) but hopefully, we'll start to see more looser-tolerance fighting guns that don't try to be all things to all people. "Match accuracy" (that virtually no one can exploit) has become such a selling point on glossy magazine pages that the zombified masses forget what that pistol is really for.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

For me after years and years with the 1911 and playing with glocks here and there, the 1911 fits and feels better in my hand. That translates to metal on meat quicker and tighter than with a glock. I might be limited toless rounds but will be more accurate with the 9 on board. I think the biggest factor is I have small hands for a guy my size, just under 6 foot and 225. I've shot and trained with 1911s in competition classes and twice down and dirty, comfort and familiarity with a weapon platform goes a long way. I've watched hours of video of myself shooting a 1911and I see my self making hits, clearing malfunctions and switching hands when I can't consciously remember doing such. The m16/ar15/m4 isn't my favorite weapon system but I have 20 years of training on the system, I can make it run, same with the 1911.

Let's see if I run out of ammo I can use a 1911 as a small club that will do serious damage to the object I'm hitting with little to no damage to the gun.

A glock on the other hand may start to fall apart on you after a good few whacks.

So for a survivalist stand point the 1911 has got my vote.

Boolit Master
    Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like the hammer fired pistols. 1911's,sig 239 and P6, cz82 and such. I've shot other folks glocks and never warmed up to a striker type pistol. Frank

I've never had a glock, although I have held and shot them.

I do have a 1911, a Springfield Armory mid 90's model. With good hand loaded ammo the 2 of us are slowly becoming a good team.
    My last trip to the range I put 8 in the center in about a 4" group at 20 feet. That is good enough for me, as I really don't want to have to ever use it.
    But I do prefer that if I ever did choose to that I could use it effectively. It will easily throw 8 big chunks of lead downrange in under 8 seconds, and put them all in the same spot if I do my part.

It looks and feels like a weapon of war, which in my opinion it is. There is nothing cheap, plastic, or casual about it. When I pick it up I find I need to find and get a good hold on my intestinal fortitude, then get a good hold on my pistol, then let hell fly.

I really don't like pistols a lot, as I feel like they really were designed for one purpose, killing people.

If that makes me a pacifist, ok.

I think there are 3 kinds of people in the world. There are sheep, which are easily scared, but won't do much about it. There are wolves which prey on sheep, and I think enjoy it. And then there are sheepdogs. They may look like a sheep, and at times they may act like a sheep. But when the conditions are right they will defend the flock from the wolves.

So I guess I'm a sheep with a sheepdog complex.

Boolit Buddy
    I just own both
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Love Life
    I also own both (See 1911 sammich), and even though I switch between the two platforms quite a bit, I have no issues getting 1st rd hits out to 25 yds on an echo target. It's pretty easy.

Apples vs. banannas.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Dishwasher safe guns just ain't right. A 1911 feels "right" in your hand.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Of the 2 I'm going with 1911. It's like comparing a vdub bus(glock) to a space shuttle (1911).

In addition I will say glocks may or may not be the leading cause Of Liberal tears.Did ya know Gabriel Gifford has a glock? She is a strong supporter of gun rights. She keeps it in a safe like a good gun owner should.

Not a true 1911, but same darn thing pretty near far as I can tell.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-03-15-01-50-07.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	133961
    My glock is an xd.
    Last edited by freebullet; 03-15-2015 at 02:53 AM.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master
    I like the 1911 , it works best for me.IMO the 1911 does have a larger learning curve for everyday carry use over the Glock.
    I at times carry a Smith and Wesson M&P. My M&P's also have the thumb safety and very nice Apex trigger kits.The thumb safety really helps me get a good high grip from a concealed draw.
    I have no problem with Glocks other than they simply don't fit my smaller hands as well.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

1911's are beautifull weapons , glocks are square boxy and ugly , but i trust my 10 mm glock , my hands are big enough so its comfortable, both are good guns but i would rely on my glock
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Grand Master
    I own both. I shoot both--a lot. I carry both. I trust both. I enjoy both. I will buy more of both.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy

I think it's apples vs oranges, but I prefer a 1911 over a Glock. I just never acquired any feeling for a Glock, and I shoot a 1911 pretty well so why change?
    INFIDEL

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I own both. I shoot both--a lot. I carry both. I trust both. I enjoy both. I will buy more of both.
    That is pretty close to being the story of my life as well. I started shooting the 1911 in 1961 and had owned many over the years. As a result of the long years of use, the fit my hand and nervous system like a glove. They are an extension of my arm.

The Glock is a tool pure and simple, but a very good tool for the job of a combat sidearm or personal defense weapon.

I live on the border with all the hazards that go along with that. I carry a Glock 19, because I want the extra magazine capacity and like the light weight. The G19 or a G17 are near at hand 24/7 in the house.

When I go to the range or head for the brush I will have one of my 1911s in 45 ACP with me.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Love 1911s, hate Glocks, and I've tried Glocks in everything except .357 SIG, from the 26/27, 17/22/34, 20/21/30. If I had to buy a plastic pistol now it would be an HK VP9 or a Walther PPQ.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast