Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A rare species you've caught?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I lost about a 10# sea bass once .
    We saw belly flash and gauged it to need the net then zzzziiiiipp pop . 30-40 ft of slack line laying on the ocean . Turns out many years later I learned on Shark Week we were fishing right in the prime Baja winter range of the great whites .
    Last edited by Harter66; 09-12-2017 at 07:54 PM.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I caught a Nautalus once .
    It may have been the trip above .
    That sea bass it was in must have been in agony . I don't think we ever got it to go back through the jaw .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I know this is a old post ,But this past Friday the 9/8/17 I was out fishing with a friend on the Mississippi River and I end up got a Lake Sturgeon It was about from nose to tip of tail 30" .I had let it go.What a heck of fight it gave.Found out is is endangered .Nice fish.if my friend come up with the photo of it on CD like he said I will post the photo.
    Here is the photo of the fish.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9817a.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	205291
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    My 8 year old son caught this fish this year during the summer. I have heard of them, but never caught one in all the years I have been fishing, a Shorthead Redhorse. I weighed it and it was 2 lbs. The flavor of the meat was pretty good, like a sucker fish which this apparently is in the family, it was very bony, but no harder to really filet than a pike.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Buddy
    I once caught a 2-1/4 pound small mouth bass out of the Lamoine River in Western Illinois. That is a HUGE small mouth for that area.

Boolit Bub
    One time, a long time ago Believe it or not, I caught a ..... a Keeper!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    I caught a decent woman who doesn't lie to me.

An exceedingly rare species unheard of nowadays.
    You are truly a lucky man. Savior her... She is a rarity... Very few of the species around...

Boolit Master

Here in the freshwater canals I have caught two piranha on separate occasions and locations. They were not eaten or returned to the water. Buzzards gotta" eat too.

Its a long list.

Red Horse Suckers, Buffalo, freshwater drum, Eelpout, dogfish (like an eelpout only with scales) Goldeyes are common in the Red River of the north, and fun to catch. Bony and soft, but they make great catfish cut bait. Snapping turtle, Lamprey (was attached to the side of a Red Horse)

Buffalo Clams, they are big, 5-7 inches long, inside of the shell is purple.

Dad brought home a golden trout he caught while smelting up on Lake Superior's north shore. It was tasty.

Always wanted to catch and release a big sturgeon but it has not happened yet.

What appeared to be a yellow perch/walleye hybrid, had the color of a yellow perch but the white spot on the tail of a walleye, and was significantly larger than any other perch I have ever caught. I'd say about 2 and a half pounds, again good eating.

More Northern Pike, bluegills, large mouth bass than you can shake a stick at.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve done some ocean sailing and often trolled a line behind. Caught some great fish, but often got something so big, that it just took all the line and I couldn’t stop it with the size tackle I had.

Once I caught a fish over four feet long, but it was as skinny as a snake. It had all the regular fins and a long mouth full of big sharp teeth. I threw it back and looked in some books, but could never find out what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post

Once I caught a fish over four feet long, but it was as skinny as a snake. It had all the regular fins and a long mouth full of big sharp teeth. I threw it back and looked in some books, but could never find out what it was.
    Sounds like it might have been a needlefish. Ive eaten a few of them and theyre actually pretty good.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by skrapyard628 View Post
    Sounds like it might have been a needlefish. Ive eaten a few of them and theyre actually pretty good.
    You could be right. Later I found a book (no internet backed then) and it looked like a needle nosed gar. I wasn’t going to take a chance eating it, without knowing what it was. Normally, we caught dolphin fish, mackerel and tuna. They were sure good.

Boolit Bub
    Rare to me ?..... A Keeper. HA!

In 1973 I was going to forestry school at CSU and we had to take a summer camp west of Ft. Collins that summer. It was up near the Comanche Peaks wilderness area.

Five of us were fishing all we could between classes. We usually spent most Saturdays and Sundays fishing the streams and lakes around the area. We usually took a frying pan and got butter from the mess hall so we could have a shore lunch. We were fishing a small creek near Mummy Pass and had been catching these small trout 6 to 8 inches long and decided to keep some for lunch and as they were different then the rainbows and brooks we usually caught. We also decided to take a few back to camp to show the fisheries professor. We probably ate 15 or so.

Upon showing them to the prof he went nuts, started asking where they were caught, how many had we caught and all kinds of stuff. Then he told us to leave the stream alone and to not eat any more because they were Colorado Greenback trout and thought to be an extinct species. They kept it hush hush for a number of years and then announced the prof had found a stream about 50 miles from where we first found them as the source. We never got credit for finding them. But they were tasty when fried crispy in butter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123