Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Language in Posts

Boolit Master

Language in Posts

Anyone else notice that some members with low post counts are getting pretty free with the language in their posts?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    I wouldn't blame it all the the members with low post count....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonas302 View Post
    Didn't mean to imply it was exclusively low post count, but every one I've seen was.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

bhn22
    Check out some of the avatars

Boolit Master

If you can't say it with plain letters then you can't say it with splats!

**** = splats!

Boolit Bub
    There are many like myself who have been avid readers but do not feel competent enough to add much to the conversation. I have always taken care to express myself in proper English. There has always been an ample enough inventory of words to express my thoughts.
    I was taught to be careful what you say or write as you never know who may hear or read it. You always learn more with your mouth shut and your ears open.
    Then again, I am also fluent in the hillbilly slang that I learned from my Father and Grandfather. Not sure what I just wrote.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, Sometimes I just sits

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Any post or avatars anyone finds that are offensive or avoid the word filters REPORT them to staff we can not find them all. There are post that are edited daily for this reason and points or infractions issued.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

We all come from different worlds here, with various values and perspectives and accompanying levels of comfort with crudeness and profanity. Some value a level of propriety whereas others prefer to let it all hang out.

There are plenty of other sites that cater to the lowest common denominator, and the language shows. Perhaps some of the newbies are just used the that culture. I actually appreciate that this site sets a higher standard. I hear plenty of coarse language at work so it doesn't much offend me, but i certainly like that this is a place where my young kids can look over my shoulder while I'm online without getting too much of the wrong kind of education.

I really don't understand why some people get so indignant when a little social propriety is suggested. They can be as crude as they like elsewhere; why not be just a little respectful here?

On Heaven's Range

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fatelk has expressed MY position, as well as his own.

There is simply no need for crudity on this site.

On occasion, I have reported threads or posts which I thought were going astray, and I'll continue to do that WHEN WARRANTED.

It takes some "doing" to generate my reporting of a thread, as I'm not an angel or Pollyanna by any conceivable measure.

All this Board requires is a simple concept: keep it clean, and all will be well.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

I don't believe in censorship and being ex-Navy, I'm not particularly offended by actual words, it's the *way* you say the words that can make them offensive (if you try hard enough).

I remember a tag line someone once had on USENET that I though was funny...

"Profanity is the last refuge of the inarticulate ( Removed by staff...)

I self-censored for those of you who have girly-man ears.

EDITED: OK, apparently, I didn't self-censor enough for some of those girly-man ears out there. It kind of loses the ironic humor when you remove those last two words though.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 03-08-2015 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Thats Not allowed here /language

Boolit Master
    As a military retiree, I don't personally have a problem with offensive language but it is disrespectful and immature. I try to avoid it in public.
    Most of Castboolits is visible to the public. If we don't want to be seen as a bunch of knuckle draggers we should try to keep it clean.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by jonas302 View Post
    I now look to see "Join" dates before I welcome aboard folks with low post counts.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Anyone else notice that some members with low post counts are getting pretty free with the language in their posts?
    I haven't seen anything as of yet, but that's where our great staff of Mods come into play.
    Drop one a line and they'll grab the proverbial broom.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Moderator Emeritus

I don't tolerate cursing at home and I consider this as a home away from home. Mods got it right!

Boolit Grand Master

This isn't anyone's home. It is a private forum and the owner sets the rules. Language doesn't offend me. Having to tiptoe around censorship does bother me. We all know what a little kid means when he says "shoot". Cursing is a crutch for a lot of people. A lot of people around here, where I live not the forum, use a certain f word in place of "um".

If you don't find the language acceptable report it to a moderator.

Love Life
    I wish I had a recording of a safety brief given by my old Company GySgt. Some here would die of shock.

Boolit Grand Master

I have to go along with Bruce B, on this one.!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I don't believe in censorship and being ex-Navy, I'm not particularly offended by actual words, it's the *way* you say the words that can make them offensive (if you try hard enough).

I remember a tag line someone once had on USENET that I though was funny...

"Profanity is the last refuge of the inarticulate (removed by staff...)

Being from NY and time in the air force, people get points if they teach me a new cuss word.

That said, I do like the family friendly nature of this forum and knowing I CAN point an eight year old here to learn about casting, etc. and not worry what they might read.
    Last edited by joesig; 03-08-2015 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Embarrassing grammatical error.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post

"Profanity is the last refuge of the inarticulate

Well, actually, disguised profanity is a violation of TOS TOO,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joesig View Post
    That said, I do like the family friendly nature of this forum and knowing I CAN point an eight year old hear to learn about casting, etc. and not worry what they might read.
    I think that was the OPs point. You COULD point an eight year old to CB but some of the members might answer his questions in an unacceptable manner. All you see is a user name, a join date and a post count. I've seen people spout off with something like, "no, ya stupid [ jackwad, ] it don't work that way," with no idea who is on the other end of the thread.
    It embarrasses all of us, whether we know it or not.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.