Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: #28 or 97 needed for Ideal tong tool

Boolit Master

#28 or 97 needed for Ideal tong tool

Gents
    I have a wtb posted for the above. Anybody got one or know where to find one?
    Thanks
    Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

MR, CMR or DA ??

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavogrande View Post
    MR, CMR or DA ??
    What he said. Or do you need the whole set?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

28 is MR, 97 may be DA, I don't know. Both #'s are listed in the MR-DA column in the Ideal Quick Reference.
    No, I don't need the whole set, I have a dedicated 32-40 combination mold, reloading tool.
    Bill
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    28 is MR, 97 may be DA, I don't know. Both #'s are listed in the MR-DA column in the Ideal Quick Reference.
    No, I don't need the whole set, I have a dedicated 32-40 combination mold, reloading tool.
    Bill
    OK, now I'm starting to understand, but I'm wondering whether you are taking advantage of the fullest potential of the tool you have. It is designed to neck size and decap in one stroke when you use the (separate) decapping spud in the die and simultaneously decap and neck size. Then you expand the case mouth a little if needed (most of these tools will do this on the outside of the built-in die) add a fresh primer and powder and seat a bullet, using the same die. The only additional sizing you should have to do is if you are full length sizing the case so it can be used in multiple chambers. For this you will need one of the push-through dies or a FL die on a full sized press. Please be sure to write if you need any further help with this, and if for whatever reason you still need a MR or CMR die, the 310 Shop will make one up for you for $25.

Regards,
    Froggie

PS FWIW, I'm pretty sure I do have an extra one of those push in sizers if you decide to go that way.

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, now that I've read the posting in S&S, your situation becomes clear! If it were me, I would treat that tool as though it were a later one and use a complete die set with it, but if you want to just neck size (to do everything else on a separate tool??) you could get by with a modern MR or CMR (to also decap) die, but it would be blued rather than nickel plated. If you want the whole process you can either go with a DA die only and use the separate decapping spud as described in my previous post, or go with the CMR and DA dies available from the 310 Shop (or perhaps one of us here if you get lucky.)

To be historically correct, you need a nickel plated #28 DA die (either single or double adjustable) and the decapping spud, parts I don't see for sale all that often. Whoever sold that tool to you without the die didn't do you any favors in that respect!

Regards and Good Luck,
    Green Frog

Boolit Master

Thanks Green Frog
    I agree about the "favor" thing. It was on the 'bay, seller seemed to be an opportunist like myself. If nothing else it's an inexpensive .32, 165 gr. single cavity mold! I think I will go for the 310 made die and manufacture a decapping plug myself. This would make a better set up for an individual rifle rather than feeding multiple chambers.