RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New squirrel rifle

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

New squirrel rifle

I just finished this, shoots pretty darned good. .36 cal., swamped barrel, plank build. I notice in the pictures, I have a bit of finish to rub out on the wire inlay yet!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010001.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	133379

Name:	P1010003.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	133380

Name:	P1010006.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	133381

Name:	P1010007.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	133382
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Absolutely beautiful!

Boolit Buddy

That's exceptionally nice! Great job! I want to build a 32 very similar to that after I finish the next two.

Boolit Bub
    Amazing

Boolit Master

Excellant craftsmanship
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Banned
    Very nice. I am debating a poor boy squirrel rifle kit build (can't hope for your level of work shown here). What does "plank build" mean?

Perm-Banned
    bet she can cut center every time. nice work, something to be proud of.

Boolit Master
    beautiful! Man that's some fine work! Wish I had that one and you had one twice that fine!

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master

If it shoots as good as it looks it will be a true treasure for generations to come.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by mj2evans View Post
    Very nice. I am debating a poor boy squirrel rifle kit build (can't hope for your level of work shown here). What does "plank build" mean?
    The stock started as a plank, rather than a kit.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Man o man you do very nice work!
    Style and craftsmanship!
    How long did it take to get this far?
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

I average around 100-110 hours on a rifle.

Or taken another way, 35 years!

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice indeed! I am not one for a lot of inlay and such on my guns (more of a plain Jane poor boy guy) but I do admire the workmanship. You have an extremely high level of skill and attention to detail. If you got it flaunt it! I don't got it. I got no rhythm either. My wife and kids got all the artistic and musical talent in my family.

Excellent work. Are you going to post a target? If it shoots as good as it looks (and I bet it does) there should be one ragged hole.

Longbow

Boolit Master

That is indeed a work of art as well as a beautiful, functional rifle. Thanks for using your gift to make such pieces for all to enjoy and a few to own.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Very nice indeed! I am not one for a lot of inlay and such on my guns (more of a plain Jane poor boy guy) but I do admire the workmanship. You have an extremely high level of skill and attention to detail. If you got it flaunt it! I don't got it. I got no rhythm either. My wife and kids got all the artistic and musical talent in my family.

Excellent work. Are you going to post a target? If it shoots as good as it looks (and I bet it does) there should be one ragged hole.

Longbow
    I have a lot of work scheduled, so no idea when I will be able to really wring out a good load. I was getting around 1.5" at 40 yards. I am pretty sure I need some larger balls, or some thicker patches. I just shot it enough to rough sight it, before finish work.

Inletting a swamped barrel. Phewph. Nice work.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Banned
    Only 110 hours from a plank???? Wow! That is just incredible.

I can fully inlet a swamped barrel by hand in around 6-7 hours. They go easy, once you know the tricks.

Boolit Master

Amazing talent and beautiful work. Thanks for showing it.

gmsharps

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I can fully inlet a swamped barrel by hand in around 6-7 hours. They go easy, once you know the tricks.
    That shows the difference between someone like who knows what they are doing, and someone like me. Ive got my hours in mine than a person could believe. Beautiful piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast