Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pulling Bullets

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    I think a lot pf folks are forgetting a key word here INERTIA puller. What ever force is driving the boolit out of the case will also drive the primer deeper into the pocket since the same force is applied to both. I think the problem started when the primer was installed and crushed as seen in the photo. This could have driven the anvil way to far forward just looking for the slightest pressure to fire off the primer. With the impact of the puller the anvil got its excuse and BANG. Do not EVER load a cartridge with a damaged primer. Just my 2 cents BWB

bullet puller

Quote Originally Posted by 4t5 View Post
    I have a RCBS collet type puller that works great on rifle rounds. I have never tried it on handgun bullets, but would assume equally good performance. Midway is a good source.

I threw out the old hammer a long time ago!
    Midway has the Hornady cam-lock collet type puller on sale

(does anybody have a hornady 6.5 mm collet to sell?

yodar

Boolit Master
    Several years ago at the big gun show in Pomona Ca. I bought a Forster collet type bullet puller for five bucks . I wondered why the man sold it to me so cheap untill I used it .What a pain. I usually marr the neck of the case. I have all the collets from 22 to 45. I have two inertia pullers and I use shell holders with it and I have no trouble pulling bullets. I rarely shoot jacketed bullets any more and I don't crimp lead ones.

Boolit Buddy
    I once got 2 squibs from a larger batch of loads that I no longer trusted (can ya blame me?) Rather than pulling them all on my lonesome, I bought a second impact puller and payed my friend in beer to empty and re-load pullers while I hammered away. He dumped the boolits and powder into a seive with appropriately sized holes, tossed the cases in a bin, and inserted a new reject in the puller. Wash rinse repeat we were through the 150 under powered 38s 10 minutes and 2 winter lagers later.

Longwood

Bullet puller fs

I am selling a RCBS on the selling forum..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_P View Post
    Gianni,

Yes, I've seen a number of threads on the subject, all of which seem to point back to the same incident (MtJerry's). If a high primer is a possible cause (and I sincerely doubt it was in this case or could be), then it's carelessness that's to blame and not the use of a shellholder. If the primer is properly seated then I see no possible way that the shellholder could set it off. The pictures provided clearly show a deep jagged indentation in the primer. I'd love to see an explanation of how the smooth surfaces of the shellholder caused that.

This is a classic example of how myths are started. "A bad thing happened to me when I was using a shellholder, therefore the shellholder caused it".
    Just ran across this thread. I realize it is quite old and the link to whatever event caused the whole "don't use a shellholder" debate is gone so I couldn't explore that.

I am assuming the picture in the quoted post is of the alleged round that went off. I'm trying to figure out how the primer could have initiated the detonation, or even been a part of it and not been ejected from the primer pocket. Supposedly the first thing that happens on primer detonation, with an uncrimped primer, is that the primer moves out of the pocket from the force of the primer flash. Also there is evidence that a primer can cause the case shoulder to set back by having enough oomph to push the case forward while the primer is stopped against the bolt face/standing breech/recoil shield, again moving the primer rearward relative to the primer pocket.

So, I want to know how that primer, that allegedly set of a round in an inertia puller, still has a sharp edged inward dent and is still in the primer pocket.

For some reason I'm seeing a big neon sign flashing "BOGUS" all over this one.

Longwood
    [QUOTE=Alan in Vermont;1743153

So, I want to know how that primer, that allegedly set of a round in an inertia puller, still has a sharp edged inward dent and is still in the primer pocket.

For some reason I'm seeing a big neon sign flashing "BOGUS" all over this one.[/QUOTE]

There has to be more to this.
    I am betting he had put something behind the cartridge.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Marc,

The collet type pullers work great with jacketed bullets. I have never tried them with cast... If you are willing to re-melt what you pull, then the pliers/wire cutters on the top of the press should be really quick.

The impact puller is about your only choice when you want to get wad cutters out

John
    if you are useing a cast bullet with a gas check how do you get the gas check out along with the bullet

Boolit Buddy

Nippers or pliers to pull bullets in a press

An appropriate size steel flat washer (or "fender washer") on the top of the press will protect the threads in the press when using pliers or nippers to pull bullets in the press, if that is a concern.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

the flat wire strippers lay flat ,bridge across the top and do not contact the threads in the press.

The best thing to use for an anvil is an ingot of lead when using an inerta puller , works like a dead blow
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Boolit Buddy
    If you are concerned about marking or damaging the top of your press when pulling bullets with a "nipper", just place a flat steel washer of the appropriate size on the top of the press.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Do these inertia pullers routinely damage the primers??? Or should they be okay?

Boolit Master

Never had a problem myself.

Boolit Mold
    sorry all but i just joined cast boolits and cant figure out how to start a thread can anyone help me

Leave the stickies and classics section for one. Its on the top of the page if you haven't figured it out yet.

Banned
    Pulling bullets is about the brass, for me. I've never had good accuracy with any load with a pulled bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammersix View Post
    Pulling bullets is about the brass, for me. I've never had good accuracy with any load with a pulled bullet.
    I could agree with that if the bullets are cast, but can't say I've ever had bad accuracy with pulled jacketed bullets.

lead is a great anvil.for inerta pullers i use a large brick size hunk of lead it is soft enough to give with the hardest blow , and it is much better and less give than a piece of wood , try it you will never go back to striking on wood again, takes about half the hits it takes to releade the boolit than wood
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Master
    My aluminum chuck in a hammer-style puller lost
    the edges that hold the case rim. Was pulling
    some 40s, crimped too tight I guess as it shaved
    those lips right off. Parts not available, maybe
    someone has a puller with cracked plastic?
    I would just buy a new one but I've been using
    wire strippers to grab the boolits, pull them with
    the Rockchucker.
    Cut a piece of conduit to fit over the ram for
    pulling short pistol rounds.

Boolit Master

Believe it or not, try a shellholder. I've used them on the RCBS and the Dillon.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast