RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $40 Budget Reloading Bench

Boolit Bub

$40 Budget Reloading Bench

So, I finally committed to buyin' my reloading equipment and have a couple hundred bucks of equipment shipping to me. YAY! That being said I didn't want to spend too much on my bench, as I plan on getting out of an apartment, and into my first house house soon. So I built my bench to be cheap, strong, and to not take up too much space in my current place. I borrowed a couple of my dad's tools (I don't do much wood work if you couldn't tell by the crude bench) and come to find out, only 2 of his clamps open wide enough to take a 2x4 and 2 layers of 3/4" MDF. Probably should have checked that first. Oh well, I'll live with the slight gap between the MDF panels. (I only screwed down the bottom MDF panel, the top panel is secured with a liberal amount of liquid nails which is why it's covered with buckets of wheel weights right now)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150307_013517.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	133075

The bench is 18" deep, 48" wide, by 29.5" tall. The bottom shelf was made tall enough to fit my feet under, but still low enough I could store a 5 gallon bucket of wheelweights. And actually the bottom shelf was not in my original plans, but I had enough scrap wood to almost make a complete shelf. (it was just gonna be horizontal bars to keep the legs from flexing)

My Lee Challenger kit should be here in a few days, and I was wonderin' if anyone had any tips on layout and setup. For mounting the press itself, it seems like lag bolts through the front holes and machine bolts and oversized washers in the rear would be my best option. I'm right handed so I figure put the press on the right, but beyond that I'm at a loss for what setup/layout would work well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like a decent bench to me. Use it a while then you can fix anything you don't like about it when you build the next one. I am guessing by the height that you are planning to sit while loading?

Adding weight to the bottom shelf will help in stabilizing the bench while using it. There are few things more annoying than having to hang onto the bench to keep it from moving while operating a press.

Robert

Boolit Master

Looks like it will do the job. You will need places to put stuff. Get a sheet of peg board and put part of it on each side of your bench and the rest on the wall behind your bench.

gmsharps

Boolit Buddy
    I have my presses and lube sizers mounted on a piece of plate iron and use c-clamps to fasten them to the bench. Easy to switch tools and still have room on the bench.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    One thing you want to think about when placing your press is to leave enough room on both sides of the press for containers of brass, bullets and cartridges as well as assorted tools, etc. A good light of some kind as well. Perhaps one that attaches to the press like those Inline Fabrications sells.

Oh, and a sheet of hardboard, holes drilled and screwed down over that mdf to prevent fluid spillage and swelling. Seal the mdf with some marine poly varnish or similar to keep water out. If you've made the depth of the bench the right size, you can take it right through the doors when you move.

You did a good job on the bench, looks good.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Looks good, your going to want to continue and brace the two ends like you did the back!

If it can rack it will!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys for the suggestions, I would have never thought to add pegboard to the sides, but that seems like a brilliant idea. And yes, I planned on sitting while reloading, and truth betold, I've got an old rolling computer chair I was gonna use. So, in order to leave room on both sides of the press, would mountin' the outer edge of the press 10" from the side of the bench be enough? I was thinkin' of mountin' the powder drop to the right of the press, but t'wards the back of the bench. I'm not sure what kinda storage I'll need, but I'm sure I'll figure that out fast. I picked up 2 24-drawer nut and bolt organizers on clearance that I'm going to use, but other than that I've got some small boxes and bins, I can use 'til I find what feels right.

@seagiant, I don't quite follow what you mean by bracing the sides like I have the back. Are you talking about the frame of the bench, or the clamps on the benchtop?

Boolit Master

That bench will handle anything you do on it. If you have that kind of construction for you new home, it will be indestructible!!
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Back when I was using a single stage press a lot I batch loaded, clean brass then size and deprime, expand and prime then powder charge using a loading block, this will allow you to eyeball all your charged case's to be sure you have equal amounts of powder in each case, then seat and crimp if needed pending caliber.

So on your bench I'd set the press a touch off center, to the right, and make a small removable mount for your powder measure, this will give you room to powder charge and inspect plus space to fiddle with other items as needed.

I to would add a brace from the top of the back leg to the bottom of the front leg on each side.

I've found weight helps keep the bench in place but heavy use can cause the top to "flex" or rock when using the press.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1309.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	133134

Your bench looks like it will do a great job I love having these bins next to my press I use them for everything they stack too I have another rail on the wall with all my dies sets in bins it really helped unclutter from all the random containers Menards puts them out free after rebate quite often if you have one nearby

Boolit Grand Master

I used brass inserts (1/2"x3/8") - a half inch hole in the bottom, a 3/8" hole through the top, screw in the insert, and screw down the bolt with your press in place. A long thin drill will provide location, down through the top. Use this as your center for the 1/2" hole and for the 3/8" hole. Lowes carries the brass threaded inserts. This makes it easier to take things off the bench and replace them (moving). They make them in smaller sizes that I use for powder measures. You will need room for lube when you resize - plan for that.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    So, on sealing the top, I was gonna go with a oil-based acrylic enamel, probably black or dark slate grey. Should I do gloss or matte?

Boolit Man
    Go white. It will really help with cleaning up that powder you dribbled or locating that spring that sprung.
    Semi gloss? As bright as possible without reflected light shining in your eyes.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlamont2020 View Post
    So, on sealing the top, I was gonna go with a oil-based acrylic enamel, probably black or dark slate grey. Should I do gloss or matte?
    Before I sealed it, I would put down a sheet of hard board (inexpensive and replaceable) so that as time goes on, you can refresh the top of your bench if needed. Then use a paint or other type of sealer like marine varnish that will resist water and chemicals.

Nothing wrong with that bench as a starting point, looks good. It will let you find out what works, what doesn't work and what will work with a bit of tweaking. I'd mount the press a bit off-centre, as this will give you a bit more room on one side to "do" things.

I mounted my presses to 6-7" x 1/2" thick square steel plates. I have two mounting holes drilled in the back half of the plate and drilled two holes through the bench to line up with them. The underside of my bench is 4" angle iron, so I tapped 3/8" holes in it and I only have to screw two bolts through the plate to hold the press to the bench. My press DOES NOT move!!!

I also use a height-adjustable computer chair (makes loading so much more civilized ).

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    As you face the bench,you have braced the back (rear) with a solid board.

Now do the same on the left and right (sides) THEN it will be solid!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

I went the B&D bench route. Added a 3/4" plywood too from the scrap bin at Lowe's. Also a scrap 2x6 runs along the back wall for a secure mount.
    Added an above shelf last year.
    Hope to get a house before next year!
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by catskinner View Post
    I have my presses and lube sizers mounted on a piece of plate iron and use c-clamps to fasten them to the bench. Easy to switch tools and still have room on the bench.
    Me too. Been doing it that way since I started reloading.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    Me too. Been doing it that way since I started reloading.
    Hi,
    Hopefully you guys can upgrade to something like Jlamont built soon!

It does make for a better overall experience! Like other things in life,dosn't have to be big,just solid!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast