View Poll Results: Which Gun? Lead only. <100yd Brush gun

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the Marlin 336 30-30

188 79.66%
  • Trade for Rossi M92 357mag

48 20.34%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 357 Rossi or 30-30 Marlin brush gun?

357 Rossi or 30-30 Marlin brush gun?

So I'm having a bit of a dilemma for a brush gun, lead only. Now, I have the 308 is for longer ranges, but for under 100 yards having another 30 caliber, but weaker, feels like a bit of redundancy.

For shorter ranges I think I'd prefer a larger bore lead-only gun. I have the 30-30 Marlin I use as lead only but I noticed this last hunting season I barely used it because it just didn't make much sense to me to limit myself to a weaker 30 caliber when I could grab a longer distance gun in same diameter 'just in case'. If I go with a larger bore it feels like if I'm limiting myself in range, it's ok because I have a hammer behind me. A Rossi M92 357 is available at a friend's gunshop and I'm seriously contemplating trading.

I have all the 30-30 reloading equipment and brass as well as 357. It's a hard choice. Should I keep the Marlin 336 or trade for the M92? I thought about other calibers, but I don't have the reloading equipment and brass for others yet.

Banned

I have the Rossi 92 .357 with 16" barrel and love it. I like the .30-30 for cast bullets as the neck is so long. For what you describe, and the lack of interest in the .30-30, get the Rossi and enjoy, as it is perfect for what you describe. Mine seems to like bullets around 160 grains +/-

That's kind of what I'm thinking jmort. "If I'm not even using it should I keep it?" Even though I have 200+ brass for it boolits, etce. I appreciate your feedback. There is another option ..... a Henry .45-70 or M92 44 mag but again, I don't have brass, casting molds, or dies so it's a bit of investment. I didn't think to add it to the above poll because it's a long shot.
    Last edited by davidheart; 03-05-2015 at 02:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    So... I mean, realistically - a 160 357 mag vs a 160 30-30.... Are you really giving up anything? You can easily run cast up to 180 grains in the 30-30.... There's about a million bullet designs out there for the 30-30 - including some really nasty flat bullets like the 311440 "Hammer 'o Thor"

But - if the 357 mag really makes you happier - then just go for it.... it's going to do just fine...

Thanks

Boolit Buddy

A 357 mag is ALMOST as good as a 30-30

The Rossi Lever action is a pretty darn nice gun. So is the Marlin (if its an older one). Tough choice. I would probably go with the 357 Rossi.

Boolit Buddy

I have both. My choice is the Marlin without a doubt. I also load 170 gr 30/30 bullets down to 30/30 velocity in my .308. You might consider doing that.

Boolit Master
    The Rossi is smaller, lighter, and has a shorter lever stroke. It's also less powerful than the 30-30. What is most important to you?

Banned

You can get some serious power out of .357 in a rifle

Boolit Man
    In the quest to find an affordable 357 lever gun led me to a Rossi R92 , i bought one new 2 years ago. now im far from a perfectionist, but for a $500 gun I wasn't impressed at all with the overall fit and finish, such as butt plate to stock, rough metal edges especially the loading gate area, even the brass bead on the top post of the sight is off center and you can see the top edge of the square post sticking past the right edge of the bead, internal parts are pretty rough as well. it does shoot good, is a versatile caliber, pairs up with my revolvers, and most importantly to me, it handles in ways that only a Winchester can.

Honestly there isn't really anything available cheaper in pistol calibers other than the R92's. Which for the money, is a sad thought, to say the least.

One thing I have noticed regarding the 30-30s is the fact that within the past 10 years, at least in my local market, the prices of older used m94s and marlins have nearly doubled. And while the quality of todays production guns continues to decline, your marlin if older, should continue to hold its value. So id hang on to it. (of course the thought of selling any gun ive ever bought is like heresy, lol )

good luck in whatever you choose to do, stay safe and good shootin............Denny

Quote Originally Posted by Denny303 View Post
    .....One thing I have noticed regarding the 30-30s is the fact that within the past 10 years, at least in my local market, the prices of older used m94s and marlins have nearly doubled. And while the quality of todays production guns continues to decline, your marlin if older, should continue to hold its value. So id hang on to it.........
    I appreciate your thoughts. My Marlin is a Remlin and has bluing issues.

Boolit Buddy
    It's a brush gun, so I would go with same foot pounds but more bullet diameter - AKA 357. Load your 357 158s with Lil Gun for 1800 fps + at the starting load. If you take it up to max you can get 2000 fps+, and if you go to Buffalo Bore levels you can get almost 2200 fps with 158s.

You will have a much larger meplat with the 357 and can run hard cast. You need to fiddle around with soft alloys and expansion in the thutty thutty. By 200 yards though, the 30-30 is holding more velocity and energy because it is more aerodynamic.

Banned

^ What he said except I would use 2400

Boolit Master

Love my Rossi m92 it's a fun gun to shoot. Not one for letting go of guns. I just add on.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Perma-Banned

I would choose the Rossi...I have the Marlins also, but I prefer the Rossi's...just a slicker working little gun, to me.

Boolit Man
    If you buy the 357 then you have to get a single action revolver . It never ends.

How much have you really looked at the rifle in your friends gun shop? If you've just eye-balled it from across the counter, then its time to put hands on it, work the action, etc. Bring a small flashlight with you so you can see the inards easier. Remember, sometimes the grass is greener on the other side of the fence but sometimes its just the lighting or the fact that the septic tank is right underneath.

Boolit Master

If the Rossi's sights are OK for you, go for the Rossi. the .357 is also easier to reload.

If you need glass, the marlin is really your only choice.

Get both, get back to us in a couple of years and tell us which one is best.

Marlin votes are WAY up!

I could just go crazy and get a 45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    I really can't see why a classic "woods" caliber like the 30-30 needs to be passed over for cast bullet use. It's probably at least as suited for cast bullets at full power levels as the 357, has more power potential, increases its lead in power as the bullet goes dowrange, especially with LE ammo if you want to "cheat" and compare its potential with jacketed bullets.

Its long neck enables fairly heavy for caliber bullets that rival that heaviest the .357 carbine can put out. With lightweight cast bullets it can be loaded more cheaply than the .357 can....use a few grains of Bullseye and 32 Smith and Wesson Long pistol bullets that are readily available in several mould designs. Less lead than the .357 uses if desired. No more powder, either.

The throttle of the .30-30 can be adjusted from "meat saving" to "plenty adequate" with cast bullets.

If you want something "big bore" a pistol cartridge with its small case capacity doesn't seem to be it.

If you want a 45-70, I could see that far more than swapping a .357 carbine for a .30-30 carbine. That seems backward to me.

If you want different than a .308, a 45-70 is unquestionably it, getting its energies and effectiveness from big bullets. It's certainly nothing like .357 bullets that average out to be no heavier than .30-30 bullets and go slower.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast