Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Volunteer for sale

Boolit Buddy
    I remember when people called me crazy when i bought a new old stock Birmingham PH Volunteer for $500 back in '97. I bought my PH Whitworth used in '89 for $350 from a pawn shop when I was in college.

Sure wish you could do that now!

I see it went for a bit over $1200, somebody sure wanted it bad. Glad I didn't try! Guess I'll have to keep an eye out, I'll find one some day!

-Nobade

Holy thread revival! Looking back now, only 6 years later, that $1200 rifle would have been a real deal. Oh well, still don't have one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Holy thread revival! Looking back now, only 6 years later, that $1200 rifle would have been a real deal. Oh well, still don't have one yet.
    Just last month there was one on GunBroker in fine shape. It went for just under $1,200.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Just last month there was one on GunBroker in fine shape. It went for just under $1,200.00.
    If it was the one I'm thinking of, the seller was a bit less than honest. He advertised it as a Parker Hale, but wouldn't answer my question of if it had British proof marks. Then after a few exchanges he finally admitted it said made in Italy on the trigger guard. I figure if I'm going to get one I at least want a real one.

Did he advertise it as used for a magazine article? I think it may have been a Pedersoli. Real P-H's come up for sale on the N-SSA forum and Lodgewood from time to time, but they go fast.

Mine is a 3 digit Serial No and has square form "Rigby" rifling. It is an original P-H and came with a factory bullet mould and sizer serial numbered to the rifle. AS others have said, a very accurate rifle.

After S/N 650 PH changed to rounded Metford rifling and stopped supplying the mould.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post

Mine is a 3 digit Serial No and has square form "Rigby" rifling. It is an original P-H and came with a factory bullet mould and sizer serial numbered to the rifle. AS others have said, a very accurate rifle.

After S/N 650 PH changed to rounded Metford rifling and stopped supplying the mould.
    That's the one! Right there. You do have quite the nice gun collection.

Boolit Master
    I may have to visit the Baltimore, Md. gun show next March to see if one of those would follow me home. A local Dr. had a reproduction and I wish I had talked with him about it to see how well it shot. I'm just a little afraid that with that stock design it might be a cheek buster on me. My Snider with what appears to be the same stock design isn't much fun to shoot.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    I really enjoy shooting my two band PH Volunteer, English made, with Henry rifling. The rifle was purchased from Armslist, of all places, for about $400 seven years ago.
    I glass bedded the barrel, added a Pedersoli mid range vernier rear sight and a Lyman 20MJT globe front sight. It's very accurate with the Lyman 451114, and the slightly heavier 457112, the Whitworth bullet, both sized to .451", in pure lead. I use Goex Olde Enysford 1-1/2 Fg under a milk carton wad.
    Here's a 100 yard group from last fall-- 2 sighters and 8 other shots, disregard the 12 oclock in the 1 ring, that's a keyholed pritchett from a different rm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	451 Vol 10-2-20.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	288694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PH 451 Vol.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	288843
    Last edited by fgd135; 09-17-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    You all make me sick!

with envy....

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12