Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: swaging 40 s&w cases?

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Hmmm... I wonder what cases would work in a .45-70 or .357...
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Man
    30 carbine would work in 357 but you would have to cut them off. 357 sig would work in 44mag,with no need to roll the top in. the only thing i notice with brass jackets,is a gold colored bore
    joejr

Boolit Master
    Try some bullet lube in the groove., or maybe alox them all over.

A good pointer die wouldn't be hard to make. Take a piece of all thread center drill into it. That would give a point and taper, depending on how hard you shove it in.

Use a round end mill to cut the hole on the other end of this "die" and you'd have two shapes real easy. See how slick things come along once you present the idea??

Somewhere on one of the long threads of Thors, I posted the whole list of case dia's. About ten of them. Too many to go back to measure them all again. am not sure where I put that list in one of the books, or notebooks.
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Could the 40 S&W be swaged to produce a 45 acp jacket or is that to much to stretch the brass? I thought is might be a good way to get rid of all the mistakes that I pick up at the range.

Regards,
    Everett

Boolit Buddy
    What do you think about just shooting them empty as a plinker. Maybe put a couple gr of quick (Bullseye or Unique) powder below????
    Last edited by Hackleback; 03-12-2008 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling

In Remembrance

I think it would be easier to swage the 45 case down to 452 than to bump up a 40 case .020.
    Chuck a Lee case trimmer cutter in a drill press and clamp the lock stud in a vice to trim the case shorter, or insert a wooden dowell and use a tubing cutter. Just thinking. DALE

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackleback View Post
    What do you think about just shooting them empty as a plinker. Maybe put a couple gr of quick (Bullseye or Unique) powder below????
    Actually, this can work out surprisingly well. Years ago, it used to be fairly popular to shoot bullet jackets (no lead) the same way. (Closed end forward was most popular.) Makes for good shooting, not only indoors, but for small game and garden pests too, with very low sectional density and short danger zones. Great way to put jackets that don't come up to your swaging standards to good use.

Molly
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hackleback View Post
    LOL I shoot 40 S&W cases that have been loaded to many times or are starting to split ( I load in lot's )

I push them thru a .430 dia Lee sizer die after spraying on some case sizing lube
    To make sure they are round

I load them base up as a lite weight hollow base wad cutter
    I ever so gently crimp them in the extractor grove

I load 3 gr of Bulleye for about 800 FPS , maybe faster as I have never checked them

Almost no recoil and accurate enough at 50'
    But at 50 yds they have lost it almost all their velosity and don't group worth a hoot ( 2-3' patterens )

Oh BTW they shoot about 1' low at 50' out of my Redhawlk when sighted in for 250 gr target loads , so I put a aiming dot above my target

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    Dale:
    I cut a 4" pc of 3/4" sq tube, drilled a hole and tack welded a stud in place.
    Makes a fine handle for trimming cases with the pin/cutter chucked in the drill press.
    Was free, just used a piece from the scrap box. Ten minute job. I've written Lee
    about offering a handle similar. Not gonna do it John wrote back. Oh well, lost sales
    for Lee don't bother me any.
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12