Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know what this is?

bhn22
    It's gold and white.

Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    It's gold and white.
    We have a winner.

Banned

Not an Aermotor part, I've seen the insides of just about everything they ever made and that's not even close. There are other windmill companies of course, but how many windmills are in SD?

Gear

Boolit Master

Used to be lots for water. Now they have lots of those eye sore white bird choppers.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Quote Originally Posted by backhoe View Post
    That looks like the feed pawl from an old hand cranked drill press.Looks like the one on mine any way.
    The part on the left is defiantly a feed pawl of some type. It could be from a drill press or some other machine (power hack saws, shapers, rifling machines and others had feed pawls). The other part might be associated or from something else entirely. It could be part of the operating lever system to engage and disengage the feed pawl.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by atom73 View Post
    It looks to me like its a gear drive from an old pump but I'm not sure. Not looking for guesses, I can do that, looking for an answer from someone who KNOWS...
    Attachment 132586
    It looks like parts off of an old water well pump.

If the left piece is turned horizontal, it would be in the correct orientation. As the cog goes around; the U shaped part swivels on the bolt and it lifts and lowers the pump rod several inches.

Could be part of a windmill or it could have been electrically driven. The part on the right could be part of the top of the pump rod and top valve.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Flux capacitor?
    That's It!!!

Boolit Master

Or it could be part of a knotter from a baler or a binder. Those parts look very familiar.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Mold
    That is the pushrod cam assembly for an old hit and miss type gas engine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ratty5001 View Post
    That is the pushrod cam assembly for an old hit and miss type gas engine.
    Is that your final answer?
    You may well be right
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Mold
    Yes, I have a few old gas engines I've restored and belong to the local club. Couldn't tell you exactly which model it came off. It's another fun and rewarding hobby.

Boolit Master
    That's getting closer I think. The part on the left looks like a rocker arm assembly from an old single popper engine. The shaft on right could be most anything- may or may not be related.

Boolit Buddy
    The hit and miss engine makes the most sense based on the parts. There are millions of old windmills out here but none of these parts look like windmill parts. If it IS of a hit and miss what is the gear for then? I am not totally familiar with their design.

Ain't none of them thar in Idaho. Least I ain't never seen one. (LOL) GP

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by atom73 View Post
    The hit and miss engine makes the most sense based on the parts. There are millions of old windmills out here but none of these parts look like windmill parts. If it IS of a hit and miss what is the gear for then? I am not totally familiar with their design.
    Agreed, I've never seen anything like that on a standard windmill.

As others have posted, your best bet would be to go to an antique farm equipment and engine show. I'm sure one of those guys would know exactly what it is and maybe the brand or even the model it came off of.

The gear would be on a fixed spindle and engaged to another gear on the shaft (possibly a gear on the main shaft holding the large flywheel(s). As the engine turned, that gear would turn. That circular gear motion would then be converted to the pull/push motion of the connector rod (comparable to a push rod in a modern engine). As the connector rod went in and out, the rocker would go up and down, in turn closing and opening the external stem of the combustion chamber valve. These parts were external to the main engine housing on most of those old poppers- and there were many varieties and sizes of those engines.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 03-03-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Boolit Master

It's part of the starter off Scottie's Warp Drive.

Boolit Master

It's the seed drop drive off a John Deer Mod. 490 corn planter, 2 row.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 472x1B/A View Post
    It's the seed drop drive off a John Deer Mod. 490 corn planter, 2 row.
    Yes, very good possibility also. But wow, it's been at least 50 years since I had to keep any of those machines running . When I first looked at the photos, that thought also entered. There may have been even more varieties of design of seed drills/planters than old hit-r-miss single cylinder engines.

One way to possibly differentiate between a piece of farm machinery and an engine part would be fit, quality and tolerances. The engine parts were generally a little tighter and of better quality. The farm machinery parts would tend to be of lesser quality and give the impression of being a little loosy-goosy.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 03-03-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You all miss the obvious answer.

Rusty!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    I see that sort of stuff all the time. It is laying on the ground here and there. Knowing it brings so much intrigue I am glad I leave it there for others to see.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast