Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Lubricator/Sizer

Star Lubricator/Sizer

I have been in the archives reading about the Star sizer, very interesting read, got a few questions I did not see addressed, but first I gotta puff up a little bit, I was given a star lube/sizer today by a gun shop that has had it on the shelf for years, it was a return from a disgruntled user, basically its brand new, but does show some signs of a frustrated user, such as plier marks on some of the hex surfaces, a hammer blow or two where the die was removed, but its all in all in pretty good shape.

Questions:
    are the dies and top punches available?
    I dont think the giver was aware of the value of his gift, I looked on E-Bay and they bring a pretty good price, I would feel better about the deal if I paid something for it, what would be a fair price?

Rick

Boolit Master

They are worthless, send it to me and I will dispose of it for you( right next to my other Stars!) You can buy everything for it from Magma Engineering. Good Deal!

Boolit Master
    Yes, free is a heckuva deal, it don't get much better! New item price is in the $250 range now, and used ones can fetch 75% + of new item price. As Springfield stated, all dies, punches, parts, and accessories are available from Magma. Enjoy your new toy!
    lathesmith

hivoltfl,

Another option is to box it up, I'll pay for the shipping and handling and even give ya' $50.00 for it.

You've seen the 'frustration' it can create for a user. Why go thru the pain and agony? I need one for spare parts just to keep mine running anyway...help a brother shooter out?

*Grin*

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Ok fellas, I like some frustration from time to time, I will keep it for awhile,

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hivoltfl View Post
    . . . I dont think the giver was aware of the value of his gift, I looked on E-Bay and they bring a pretty good price, I would feel better about the deal if I paid something for it, what would be a fair price? Rick
    I wouldn't want to insult the gun shop owner's generosity by offering to pay for the gift. Why not just buy all of your shooting supplies from the gentleman until you feel the gift has been repaid?

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, what a score that is.

All and any parts including dies can be had from Magma. For anyone not familiar with magma here is their web link. Right nice folks to do business with too. You don't need "top punches" with the Star, you need flat punches, one for each caliber, size nose first with the flat punch against the flat bullet base.

Magma Engineering, PO Box 161 · Queen Creek AZ 85242-0161

Rick
    Last edited by cbrick; 03-04-2008 at 03:49 PM.
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I just got my Star sizer in yesterday. Got a stick of Lar's red in there heating up right now. I'm going to deflower it before class.

Pretty easy setup, we'll see about operation. Seems like a winner. I ran a few already lubed boolits through the sizer last night. Sucker is way quicker than my LAM2.

I agree with Marshall. Accept that you got it for free and you owe some business at that shop in return.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Grand Master

hivoltfl,

Got to thinking about your original post and it occured to me there is something that you really need to order from Magma. Directly related to the original owners frustration since it sounds like he attempted to pound a die out of the machine.

Order the die removal tool. Simply screw #1 into where the punch goes, slip #2 from the bottom through the die and screw into #1 and raise the handle, dies out.

Rick
    Last edited by cbrick; 03-05-2008 at 02:25 PM.
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    . . . Order the die removal tool. Simply screw #1 into where the puch goes, slip #2 from the bottom through the die and screw into #1 and raise the handle, dies out. Rick
    At least check out the price at Magma Engineering. The bidders on eBay pay way overprice for this item. Don't know why they do this, bidding frenzy?

Those instructions are a lot clearer than Magma's. I just took #2 with the big part on the die bottom and hit it with a rubber mallet. Die comes out.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Those instructions are a lot clearer than Magma's. I just took #2 with the big part on the die bottom and hit it with a rubber mallet. Die comes out.
    I don't think I'd want to do that to my dies. Knock a bur on the bottom edge of the die and you'll see it on every single bullet you push through it from then on.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Just use a piece of wood dowell rod to knock out the die, first back out the set screw that locks the die in place use a hair dryer to warm the lube around the die and a couple of taps and it is out. There was a really nice star with a Magma heater attached on ebay that went for $421 plus shipping not bad when you consider that a new magma star + heater will run you $350 + shipping. Another used star went for $255 + shipping, ebay go figure?

Boolit Master

I've wondered about ebay prices, too. It may be that some offshore buyers find it easier to deal with individual sellers than OEM outfits, some of whom will not ship out of the US. Don't know it that's true, but it seems to fit the facts.

Mark

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    . . . some of whom will not ship out of the US. . . Mark
    It's true. Have been around eBay long enough to see some sellers post that they do not ship outside of the CONUS. Other shippers may but some don't.

I don't understand it, but reloading stuff is getting stupid money on ebay - many times, it's way over retail.

I just sold a Lee 452 6-cav on ebay for $55+ship (without handles). I am not complaining. I used the money to buy a cherry H/G WC mold
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46) - James Madison

Heard on the street about our current POTUS: he is inebriated by the eloquence of his own verbosity...

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    I don't think I'd want to do that to my dies. Knock a bur on the bottom edge of the die and you'll see it on every single bullet you push through it from then on.

Rick
    Good point. I'll get a wooden dowel.

Live generously.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the die removal tips! What a pain. I'm new at this Star, and these ideas beat the hell out of the instructions.

I went back to the dealer today and offered to pay him something, he refused and said he was aware of e-bay and pricing of used stuff, he refused money and gave me two MEC shotshell reloaders, a Versa Mec and a 650 both need parts but thats OK. BTW this guy gets all my business when he has what I need.

Rick

Boolit Master

I believe I'd go back tomorrow and offer to marry his daughter.

Mark