RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Wadcutter for 45 Colt

Boolit Buddy

Wadcutter for 45 Colt

Rimrock makes a 225 GR. DEWC that it calls “ANTI-PERSONNEL". Does anyone here shoot that bullet or one similar to it? Would like starter load data. I have on hand Unique, Red Dot, Titegroup, Universal, Power Pistol, W231, Universal, 700X, and probably a few others. The revolver I will use is a Freedom Arms M97.

Boolit Master
    A lot will depend on to what length you seat this bullet. If you seat it like any other projectile, to an overall length of ~1.58", I'd be tempted to follow data for any other 225 gr. projectile.
    If, on the other hand, you seat these projectiles so that they are flush with the case mouth, like .38 Spl. 148 gr. wadcutters, you'll have occupied a lot of case capacity, and loads for regular-length .45 Colt may give you higher pressures than you like. Your FA-97 will handle them, but your accuracy may suffer.
    For regular length .45 Colt, use data for any 225 gr. projectile. Remember to start 10% under, because the projectiles are not the same. For bullets seated flush with the case mouth, I'D be inclined to reduce your starting load by another 10%, just to be on the safe(r) side. This ALSO may be where your best accuracy will be found.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Kosh.

Boolit Master
    Anytime, friend.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Matt's has a few 45 wadcutters.

https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...lsr1mgv8bi00m3

I have used the 165 gr WC in my S&W 25 for bullseye competition. 3.2 Red Dot or 3.5 WST gave excellent accuracy. ~625 fps.

I liked that bullet so much that I had a mold made up to cast my own. Matt's makes high quality bullets and will size them to your specs, but since he is a boutique dealer, his prices are kinda high.

Boolit Buddy

Wadcutter for 45 Colt

Yep, I have used Matts bullets myself, but never tried that bullet. Thanks for the data, OldSalt.
    Last edited by tejano; 10-28-2022 at 11:49 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tejano View Post
    Rimrock makes a 225 GR. DEWC that it calls “ANTI-PERSONNEL". Does anyone here shoot that bullet or one similar to it? Would like starter load data. I have on hand Unique, Red Dot, Titegroup, Universal, Power Pistol, W231, Universal, 700X, and probably a few others. The revolver I will use is a Freedom Arms M97.
    I have used HP38 behind a 230 grain WC, using 6.4 grains in a .45 Colt Vacquero revolver with good results. Mild recoil and more than acceptable accuracy. I have heard that W231 and HP are the same powder -- note operative word here is "heard" -- and if I were you I'd research this and if you are confident the two powders are in fact the same -- perhaps give it a try? I'm not at all familiar with specs of your FA M97 -- regardless, as a revolver, I'd drop the load I use by maybe 20% and work up a load, starting there. As long as bullet exits barrel, imho no worries in a revolver. You then may safely work your way up, if needed, to achieve the load performance you desire. (A good chronograph surely comes in more than "handy"!)
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Geo! I have a little HP38 left as well.

Boolit Buddy
    It is well established that HP-38 and W231 are the same powder, but just as with switching from one lot to another, you should approach max loads with caution. Data is completely interchangeable.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Use start data for 225-230 gr in 45 ACP for flush seated or nose out in 45 Colts cases the case volume will be very close to the same .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    For regular length .45 Colt, use data for any 225 gr. projectile.
    Not exactly accurate information. *IF* the boolits are seated where the base of the boolit is the same place in the case when comparing load data, then yes because the weight is the same, and case volume under the boolit is the same. THIS is what you want to check most importantly when using load data for a different boolit even though it is the same weight.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 10-30-2022 at 05:06 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    I noted that manual “start data” was recommended. I would have done that anyway so I believe I received good suggestions. Thanks again.

Boolit Master

Bear Creek has a number of wadcutter and hollow-base bullets in .45 caliber. The only one I have shot is the 185gr SWC-HB, which comes at .452", and shoots well for me at 50 feet and 25 yards, even in a S&W 25-2 with .455" throats.
    https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/bulletselection

Boolit Grand Master
    I have used the old 454-309, a 235 grain over 8.0 grains UNIQUE, but it was no real barn burner in the accuracy department in limited testing.

In fairness, my Ruger Vaquero was pretty mediocre with everything I tried. It probably needed some throat work, but back then I was unaware that such a thing was possible, so I sold that gun and haven't gone after another 45 Colt since.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.