Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light 30-30 cast loads

Light 30-30 cast loads

Im looking for a light cast 30-30 load for 100 or less yard plinking and maybe some jack rabbit hunting. I dont cast my own bullets yet so i will need a bullet that is already manufactured by some company. Im using this in a marlin 336 with ballard rifling. I dont know if the heavier 170 grain bullets would be ok or go with something lighter. Would i need to expand the case mouth to except the larger .310 bullet? Im also stuck on shat powder to use. I dont know if i need a magnum pistol powder or a rifle powder. If possible a rifle powder would be better because it is easiest for me to get. Do i need hard cast or standard? Im also looking for a lower velocity round so gas checks are not an issue. Lastly, how do i create a load that will not lead up the barrel? Anyone help is appreciated im not really sure where to start on this one i mostly work with jacketed bullets. Thanks guys!

Boolit Master

Mile and miles have been written here on this very subject. My current favorite fun plinking gong clanging load is a 165 grain boolit over 10-12 unquie.

Boolit Master

I use a 115 grain 311008 over 8-10 grains Unique in my M94 Buffalo Bill. Practically zero recoil and a great rabbit load out to 75 yards...

http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/30-Ca...FMJ-500-Ct.htm
    my cheap plinker load for the 30-30 before casting was the 110gr 30 carbine bullet pushed by IMR3031. cheap and low recoil

http://lucky13bullets.com/index.php?...roducts_id=156
    I was told about these to day they could do it too

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    The OP states he doesn't cast so needs to buy commercial cast Well we all know most of us that use traditional cast boolits in light loads like them fat and soft! Something unknown to commercial suppliers! Maybe Mauser48 needs a starter kit of some "fat" light load 30-30 boolits? Don't you think?
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    The OP states he doesn't cast so needs to buy commercial cast Well we all know most of us that use traditional cast boolits in light loads like them fat and soft! Something unknown to commercial suppliers! Maybe Mauser48 needs a starter kit of some "fat" light load 30-30 boolits? Don't you think?
    Yes sir, I concur.

Mauser48, pm me your mailing address and I will pour 100 Lee 309-113 for you and lube them with 45-45-10 Alox to try. My favorite powder for plinking in 30-30 is Trail Boss.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    several years ago I spent many entertaing hours reading about exactly what you seek, plug "Light 30-30" into the search box and pull up a comfortable chair and cold , or warm, beverage.
    As stated above you want to look at the cowboy bullets ,not "hard" and plainbase is fine. I like 6 gr reddot with the 130 or 140 gr bullets. Shot gobs of them with 8 gr of Unique and 9 or 10 of Herco. You do not want magnum pistol powder except 2400 or 4227, and they really don't do anything the Reddot, bullseye and unique wont do with a PB cast boolit. trailboss ,tightgroup,titewad ,promo,,, really any of the 12ga shotgun powders can be worked up if need be. Great thing about the 30WCF, very easy to feed
    above is what has worked for me, but there may be even better choices.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Bump. Is 700x a possible powder? I already buy that for 12 gauge.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    While I haven't used that I have seen it mentioned here.
    go to the upper right search box on this forum "Google Custom search" Type in "light 30-30 loads with 700x"
    For instance it will bring up this
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...can-it-be-done
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

If you don't cast :
    A google search for 30/32 cal pistol boolits, or 32/20 boolits will help. But not as much as the good members here. Lots of good people here.

Boolit Grand Master

Hang around here much and pretty soon you'll be asking about moulds and furnaces. Then sizers and lubes. Go ahead and pick up a hot plate if you run across one on sale.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the .309" Magnus 115 LRN over 6.0 grains of Trail Boss (1100 fps) I coat the bullets in liquid alox to ​eliminate leading. If you don't have Trail Boss, Unique or Red Dot would be my choice.

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    Definately! - See this post:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...52#post3018352

Both Hunter and Meister offer a 165 grain flatpoint boolit for the 30/30. You can specify a diameter, too, within reason. They shoot well for me in my Marlin with 6.5 Red Dot and a puff of Dacron. I would imagine about the same load of 700x would be workable. The Red Dot load gives about 1150 fps, more or less, and they are great fun to shoot.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Check this out
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Led me to try 6 gr ramshot competition with a 150 rnfp lee, nice small load

Boolit Master

I'm partial to 10.7 gr Unique under the 135 gr. Lfp Missouri cast

I would humbly suggest my favorite plinking load.
    00 buckshot sized to .311". When it goes through the Lee push through sizer, it becomes oblong. Coat with Lee alox.
    6 grains of unique, seat the buckshot boolit to the point where the smooth side is just in the neck, leaving the top radius proud of the neck.
    Shoot and enjoy.
    The Lee sizer will cost a whopping 20$, with the alox. Since the OP is already reloading, he has the press for the sizer. Buckshot can be bought from our friends at hornady.

Moderator Emeritus

More info?

Quote Originally Posted by Pb2au View Post
    I would humbly suggest my favorite plinking load.
    00 buckshot sized to .311". When it goes through the Lee push through sizer, it becomes oblong. Coat with Lee alox.
    6 grains of unique, seat the buckshot boolit to the point where the smooth side is just in the neck, leaving the top radius proud of the neck.
    Shoot and enjoy.
    The Lee sizer will cost a whopping 20$, with the alox. Since the OP is already reloading, he has the press for the sizer. Buckshot can be bought from our friends at hornady.
    I am very intrigues vis this method! Might you be able to post a photo of a loaded round? Sadly (for me) I don't have a Lee push through sizer -- might you also provide the actual i.d. on this, so I may order the correct die from Titan, Midway, or ???)?
    Thanks much and BEST!
    george

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast