MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: A drink with my dad tonight...

Boolit Grand Master

A drink with my dad tonight...

he would have been 82 today. I used to keep a bottle of Evan Williams and some ginger ale around in case he dropped by, he hasn't dropped by in over six years but I still keep the makings for his favorite cocktail around for days like today.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I understand!
    Jim
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    I understand!
    Jim
    So do I.

Thanks TXGunNut for making me stop for a minute and remember that sad but very happy memory.

Raise your glass high!
    Your not alone......

Well he had good taste in Bourbon!

Here's one for him! Salut

Boolit Buddy
    Good to remember your Dad. Yesterday was five years since my Dad has been gone. Sure do miss him. He would be 79 now.
    -William

"How air ye fixed fer meat, Del?" --John Johnson Crow Killer, The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson

My Feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=stonecrusher

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Well he had good taste in Bourbon!

Here's one for him! Salut

Yes, he did. He kept black label Jack Daniels around for special occasions but I honestly don't know why. We took one very old partial bottle of Black Jack along to the Pecos Wilderness where he wanted a few of his ashes scattered. My brother, sister and I finished it off for him around a campfire that night.
    Good night, my friends. I'm glad you understand.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    I understand!
    Jim
    Same here.

I keep E&J brandy on hand for a loved one who's past.
    Just a nip here and such. Great memories.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    My dad's been gone now for several years. Even in his 70's I'd call him to ask advice on something or other, usually about cast iron welding, which I still can't do successfully. He used to keep a bottle of snake repellent (peppermint schnapps) handy. Never can be too careful about those snakes! I just realized a few days ago that I'm now the elder in my family. My dad was my hero. Too soon gone and too much missed!

Made me stop and think of my dad too. He's been gone way too long now, but seems like yesterday somehow. Heres to both of them!!

Boolit Buddy
    My Dad has been gone for 2.5 years now. I understand your feelings completely. Would give anything to hear the dog barking and see his car pull in one more time.

My Pop has been gone for 19 years coming Aug 12. I know several of you have said you still miss your dad's after 6 yrs. Well, it's been almost 19 and I still miss my pop. Dad was cool. Didn't drink very much. I remember right before I entered the Marine Corps, I wanted me and him to go party before leaving. We did. like I said, Dad really didn't drink. Well I thought I was going to show him how to drink. I had a pint bottle, and the only bottle of vodka I could find for Dad was a fifth. Well, though I was going to show him how I could drink. About 3/4 way through my pint. I was throwing up, and pretty well lit. Pop drank all of his bottle, and the rest of mine, and never made a bobble. Walked as straight as Presbyterian Preacher on Sunday morning. It was funny. I thank my father for everything he taught me, and being there for me. At one particular time, he was the only person in the whole world that believed me and stood by my side during a pretty serious incident. I could have gone to jail and lost a career. No one else in the whole world believed me, not even my partner, but Dad stuck by me. Thanks Dad for that, and thanks for letting me borrow the model 29 when my python took a dive. (that's another story) It pleases me to see a lot of other people that have great memories of their dads. May we all remember, and may we be able to create memories like ours for our children.

Boolit Master
    My Dad has been gone since May of 2010. He was 79, a depression kid and very badly wounded in Korea. There couldn't possibly have been more of a man than he was.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

My dad was raised a simple country boy and kept his humility and country ways to the day he died. Funny thing was he'd let people think he was a country bumpkin even though he was a biology professor as well as a respected radiation and mercury research scientist. In his final months, though, he was compelled to show a few condescending docs he was still the smartest guy in the room even though talking was difficult for him. With one exceptionally pompous doc he didn't even try, just pretended not to notice her. My sister looked at me and thought I was about to strangle the silly twit. I almost spoke up but I guess I followed his lead and bit my tongue. She was too full of herself to bother.
    It's taken me a long time to see the humor of that moment, was pretty ticked off about it for quite some time. I suspect he saw it right off.