Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #1 Buckshot Mold Feeler

#1 Buckshot Mold Feeler

For awhile now I have been playing with a design for a 9 cavity (single .300" diameter ball per cavity) buckshot mold with a sprue plate similar to the plate on an H&G mold. I have a friend of mine that owns a reputable machine shop that normally provides medical companies components manufactured on CNC machines. He has made me one prototype and it works ok but there were a few improvements that I wanted made in order to guarantee a good cast out of each pour. I have the design fine tuned and ready for the next prototype mold. Long story short, before moving forward I would like to know how many people would actually commit and prepay for a mold of this nature? I have pricing back from him and it doesn't get to an acceptable price until we make 50 molds or more, machine set up and shop rates are pretty expensive for a shop of this nature.

Here is a picture of the first prototype mold I have made. Changes to the next prototype would include sprue plate screws and guide pins and bushings from Hardline Industries (GREAT guys by the way), a 1/4" sprue plate similar to an H&G mold and mounting to Lee handles only.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150221_110645.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	131556

If this doesn't get enough interest, I may have a second option in a joint venture with Hardline Industries but the 9 cavity single ball option would be off the table using their mold blanks. I am trying to get the cost down on my design, but right now it would be about $150 before shipping for this mold. The final cost hasn't been determined just yet, but that is the ballpark.
    The only time success comes before work is in the Dictionary-Vince Lombardi

Boolit Master

You can put me down for one mould. I am willing to prepay as long as we agree on an acceptable price in advance. FB

Boolit Master
    Without details it's hard to make a decision. Your asking a premium price for an unproven mold. Most new mold builders get the unbiased observations of a longstanding board member to let fellow members know the particulars of a new design and manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Without details it's hard to make a decision. Your asking a premium price for an unproven mold. Most new mold builders get the unbiased observations of a longstanding board member to let fellow members know the particulars of a new design and manufacturer.
    I'm open to that.

Boolit Buddy

I would like to be on the list but that is a lot of money for a design that is "iffy". If it gets to that point I will put the money up but I don't know if you can get 49 others to do so. I think it will work, hopefully more will think that way too. jroc
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Keep in mind, I don't plan on selling these until I prove them out myself. My intent with this thread is to find out how many molds would actually sell before I pursue the machining of the next prototype with the shop involved. It's not cheap.

Banned

I've been watching the other thread for a while and am excited that you came along to try to develop a clip-free 9-cavity option, I'd rather spend time casting a finished product than fiddling with cutters.

However, I think I owe it to you to say that the price you're needing to ask to make this happen is about twice what I'm willing to pay, and that getting 50 people to pre-pay $150 may be unrealistic based on history here, especially for a buckshot mould. It's hard enough to get ten together for an NOE buy on a popular bullet design in a reasonable amount of time. I hope this works out for you.

Gear

Boolit Master

I'm with gearnasher. I like the idea of a mold where I don't have to use clippers. But, your price is quite steep. I will probably never be happy on a buckshot mold.

BTW, #1 buck is my favorite for buckshot inside a plastic wad cup. The best combo of pellets on target and still have decent energy.

Banned

#0 and #1 are the only buckshot sizes I use anymore. They stack great and have great terminal effect.

Boolit Master

My vote is for "0". I couldn't justify $150 for a mold though.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd like a buckshot mold, but that cost is over the horizon for me. A 3 to 5 cavity would suit me as far as production rates would go and would function with a conventional sprue plate cutter and not a clip 'em after type. Any body else notice that the economy is in the toilet? Quality is a must, cheap ($$) is good.

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate the effort in trying to put this together, Thank you.

however, there are molds out there that can be had for half the cost. But if you could come up with something in the T or F size that would throw say 15 to 20 at a time for around a hundred dollars I think you would have a big seller. As the problem with the ones out there now don't throw enough to keep the mold hot, so it takes for ever to cast a fair amount.

Boolit Master
    I really want one of these and have been following this since you first mentioned it. That said though, $150 is a bit too steep for me right now.

I would be very interested in a .311 Ball mould that's true for .32 rifles. There are no makers of a .311 gang mould with a cutter.
    Moulds .285 - .360 in 6 - 9 cavities would be good in the market also.
    The price is a bit off though. For me around $115.00 Shipped would be more realistic.

Still watching. ; )

Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    Interested, watching, willing to purchase if stuff comes together...

Boolit Man
    Interested in a #1 mold. Would have to know more about the final design and price.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to drive the price of my mold down any. What do you guys think about a group buy from Lee for an 18 cavity #1 buckshot mold? Looks like the set up fee is $175 and the blank mold cost is $53. If we had enough people interested we could keep the cost down. I am in for the first one for sure, I would have had to pay the same price as everyone else for my mold design.

Boolit Buddy

I'm interested, if we get enough people to split that setup charge around.

Boolit Buddy

I'd be interested.jroc
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Banned

.310" makes sense, it will stack slightly better and is slighty bigger. It is .5 buckshot, between #1and #0. I would prefer a six cavity with a sprue plate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast