MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Today at the pawn shop

Sorry, no sympathy, she must be ugly or she'd be loaded.
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Boolit Master

A wall between the head and heart is not an easy thing to build. I know more than I'd like about enabling and I'm neither naive nor stupid. And the wall, once built, is even harder to tear down.
    This old guy - a vet and retired LEO - is prolly no pushover. James put it in Kingdom terms that's so at odds with the world: "Judgement is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgement."

Sorry, don't mean to sound preachy, this just strikes a familiar cord with me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by scarry scarney View Post
    That is a sad story. BTW, what does it say about my little town. We still have a few payphones....
    Uhhh .... That you have really poor cell phone reception?

"He is an enabler, she is a bum"
    +1

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    "He is an enabler, she is a bum"
    +1
    People like her give trailer trash a bad name...

Quote Originally Posted by waynem34 View Post
    Man I wonder how much of a cell phone bill she racked up? She needs to get a job or a rich boy friend.
    I think the odds of her finding a rich boy friend are infinitesimal to absolute zero. Rich boys are too busy looking for a rich girlfriend who will sign a pre-nup. Sounds like a job, if she happens to have any skills, would be in her best interests.

Boolit Grand Master

Grandpa is retired highway patrol so it's safe to assume he has a decent pension. Grandpa is so broke that he has to hock his Colt to pay something as frivolous as her cell phone bill. Kinda makes ya wonder where Grandpa's money goes. Possibly to her and her drug habit. Maybe huh? Most of the people I've known that are that much of a parasite also just happened to be druggies.

I hope Grandpa gets his Colt back and then finds the courage to point her at the door and put a boot in her hieny.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

At 77 she is taking advantage of him. He may not be of a very sound mind anymore.
    Florida has a law to apply against people like this.

Cant remember what what it is called but my mom was going to use it against another dirt bag relative who is ripping of moms ain't that raised her. My brother said if he ever sees this Botch he will punch her right in the choppers. I said I would post bail.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    No way, I'd have give her a roll of quarters.
    Oh I would. Not the way you're talking about, but a roll of quarters can be a powerful teaching aid at times. LOL!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

A cell phone is NOT a necessity therefore I would not pay the bill. A food or electric bill might be another matter............

Actually I would have asked her for the phone...put it on the ground.... and used the pistol to put a bullet through it..... problem solved..............

Boolit Grand Master

I feel sorry for the old guy too! We probably will never know the whole story. I'm thankful everyday that my two Sons turned out well.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    He is an enabler, she is a bum. It is what it is and the one is no better than the other.
    BINGO!

I don't feel sorry for him, in the least. He had the option of telling her NO.

Boolit Master
    Bad for him, good for you
    Never would have happened at my home, I would have told her to get a job, live within her means and to suck eggs!
    Lab
    Life is so much better with dogs!

At that age the old guy could have physical or mental limitations that cause him to be trapped depending on a leech for daily support in some manner. The dependapotomus granddaughter could be blackmailing him, threatening to withdraw support or have him declared incompetent if he stops ponying up cash. It could be a lot of things. It could be nothing more than it appears. I would hesitate to rush to judgement and assume him to be an enabler based on a single encounter, even though it really could be as simple as that.

The granddaughter, on the other hand... That situation sounds to me like it's much more clear cut.

Boolit Master

It is upsetting to for me to read or see older folks being taken advantage of.
    jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Hopefully the parents are smarter then grandpa or the gene pool could really be muddy.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like the same situation that my neighbor dealt with. After his wife passed, his daughters and grandkids starting using him for money. In 6 months he had given them over $13,000 and a like new PT cruiser. Then they started to lay the groundwork for claiming that he was starting to not be able to take care of himself, while he was keeping up with a 1/3 - 1/2 acre garden that he planted FOR THEIR USE OF PRODUCE without any help from them.

Last we talked about it, he was having his PoA changed in his will to a close friend of the family and has cut off all donations.

Boolit Grand Master

Another missed opportunity for tough love. Many folks of my generation are horrible with money, I know a woman who could retire soon if it weren't for a pesky student loan, among other things. For the record, I moved out on my own soon after my 18th birthday and supported myself in a manner I deserved ever since, even put myself thru all the college I could stand. I can't imagine depending on someone else for something like a cell phone bill. I'd discontinue service before asking for help with that bill. I guess the little (probably not so little) tramp has a similar aversion to honest work and responsible spending.
    Sad, very sad. Hope the old guy gets his Colt out of pawn and this leech out of his life.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus

We grew up working hard and saving, at 16 I had $10k set aside from helping mom and dad remodel houses and sell them. I invested it with them to buy a big house they wanted to restore and put on the market and tripled my investment in a year. But my little brother was the always broke one, always borrowing money from mom and dad... I borrowed form them once to finance a car until the house we were building sold. Sold the house I paid them back with an extra $1k interest that they tried to turn down because the truck I bought was to help with working on the house. Last I heard my little brother still owes mom $20k or so that he will never pay back.

He also has an alcohol problem, mean drunk, I pity his wife and kids. Mom should have cut him off long ago and now that dad has died and mom gave my oldest sister power of attorney he is getting no cash from her. I know when mom dies he will try to get more than the rest of us and will tie it up in court even though the will clearly states 5 way split no arguing. If you want some personal items that is fine, any major household items get sold and split like appliances. We put our foot down early to cut him off to protect mom as she gets older.

My daughter was leeching off me for a while. "I need help with my cell phone bill, my gas bill has to be paid or they will turn off my gas, I pawned some things and if I don't get them out today I will lose them."
    I got tired of it and said "No more", and stuck to it. Somehow she seems to be getting along without my money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast