Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Post forum cookbook recipes here, or links to ones that have been posted before

Moderator Emeritus

From gwpercle again! Could fill a cookbook with just recipes of theirs!

Courtbouillon
    1 or 2 large Redfish (cut into serving pieces)
    1 1/2 cups Flour
    3 bunches Green Onions , chopped - tops and bottoms
    4 or 5 large Cloves Fresh Garlic , chopped
    1 cup Celery , chopped fine
    3/4 cup Fresh Parsley , chopped fine
    3 lbs. Shrimp , peeled, cleaned and deveined
    Generous Pinch Thyme
    Generous Pinch Rosemary
    2 fresh Lemons , cut in half and seeds removed
    1 - 8 oz can Tomatoes
    1 - 8 oz. can Tomato Sauce
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 stick margarine ( or butter )
    4 dozen raw oysters w/ liquid are optional - (it's still good if you don't have oysters ...that's just Lagniappe)
    2 or 3 Bay Leaves
    Chicken stock or water to thin sauce as needed .

First you make a medium dark roux ... brown the flour in oil and margarine untill it is color of an old copper penny (medium brown) . Add green onions , garlic and celery . Cook untill onions , celery and garlic are soft . Add Tomatoes and Tomatoe Sauce and reserved oyster liquid ... if not using qysters add chicken stock ... to make a thick sauce (the shrimp and fish will throw off water when added) Add lemons bay leaves and parsley and simmer on Low for 1 hour , stir often and add water to prevent sticking or getting too thick .
    While the sauce is cooking , season fish fillets , cajun spice of choice . Remove bay leaves , add thyme & Rosemary , stir well and lay fish fillets in sauce , next add shrimp and oysters to sauce , make sure liquid comes up the sides of fish fillets , to almost cover them .
    Now you can cover pot and slow simmer on top of the stove or cover and place in a preheated 350 degree oven to finish cooking ... I finish it in the oven ... 45 minutes or so and you can remove the cover and put back in oven to get some browning on the fish and evaporate any excess water in the sauce ... the shrimp and fish will "throw off" water , the sauce should be a medium thickness not watery .
    Adjust cooking times to thickness of the fish fillets .
    Serve over hot white rice .
    Gary
    My grandmother didn't have any instructions written down , My mom helped me when I transcribed it , she didn't like oysters so didn't use them . I like finishing the cooking in the oven because on the stove top the bottom of the pot wants to scorch and stick ... in the oven it doesn't do this .

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...46#post5412446

Moderator Emeritus

Another winner from gwpercle

Maque Choux

2 Tablespoons Bacon Grease (or butter)
    1 Large Onion , diced
    1 Green Bell Pepper , seeded and diced
    2 Stalks Celery , diced
    1 Clove Garlic , minced
    1 lb. fresh or frozen Sweet Yellow Corn
    1 - 14.5 oz. can Petite Diced Tomatoes
    1/2 cup Heavy Cream
    1 teaspoon Salt
    Cajun / Creole Seasoning - optional to taste

1.) Melt the bacon grease in large skillet over med. high heat . Add the Onion , Celery and Bell Pepper cook until tender - about 5 mins. , add the Garlic and cook another min. Stir often
    2.) Add the Corn , Tomatoes and Heavy Cream , stir to combine well , add Salt and reduce heat to a low simmer and cook uncovered 15 - 20 mins. , or until the corn is cooked through and most of the liquid has evaporated . Stir Often to keep bottom from sticking .
    3.) Taste and adjust Salt . Add Cajun / Creole seasoning to taste as desired .
    Allow to "rest" 5 - 10 mins. to allow the mixture to thicken before serving .

The two secrete ingredients that make this dish taste "good" ...Bacon Grease and Heavy Cream .

scroll down if needed, it is part of another thread https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...11#post5412611

Moderator Emeritus

From DougGuy

Sweet, Spicy, Tangy 30minute Marinara.

I had some fried Calamari with marinara from one of our local eateries here, and the marinara just about knocked my socks off! It was SOOOOO GOOD!! I went back and got some to go, brought it home and used it to make meatball subs, again, VERY tasty marinara.

I will admit that I have never been a big fan of marinara, and frankly most of what I have had in restaurants has been ho-hum, but not this stuff! So today I set about creating my own (never made marinara before) sauce that emulated the stuff in the restaurant. I wanted 3 main flavors in the flavor profile, I wanted tomatoey, tangy, and sweet, in just about that order. Red pepper optional but I like it with a little zing.. I made this today using 1/2 tsp red pepper, my GF said it was a tad too hot for her, but it was perfect for me. I edited the recipe to 1/4 tsp to cool it down.

Ingredients

1 28oz. can Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes
    3 cloves fresh garlic minced
    8-12 fresh basil leaves depending on size, chopped
    2 tsp dried spicy oregano
    ½ tsp thyme
    12-15 small capers
    1 ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Directions

Combine all ingredients in saucepan and simmer over low heat 30mins.

Serve over pasta, breaded cutlet for parmigiana, serve on the side for dipping sauce, broiled fish, it lends itself to anything you want a tomatoey zing to so enjoy! I know I will be making this more often, and if you want to make a larger batch, just double or triple up on the ingredients.

The Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes came from walmart, the FIRST thing you want to do, is to taste the tomatoes, if they are not sweet from the can, they aren't likely to improve or add any significant flavor in the marinara so look for a different brand.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...inute-Marinara

Moderator Emeritus

From RedlegEd

Spicy Pickled Eggs

Hi all,
    I mentioned on Boaz's Shelter in place diet post about making pickled eggs, and was asked about the recipe, so I thought I'd post it here. This is how I do it, and the recipe is easy to tweak to your own tastes and availability of items so be creative and experiment.

EQUIPMENT:
    2 qt saucepan (or larger)
    3 1-quart mason jars w/lids and rings

INGREDIENTS:

Hot pickling liquid:
    2 cups white vinegar
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    3 cups water
    1 tbsp minced garlic or 6 garlic cloves crushed
    1 tbsp sea salt or Kosher salt
    2 tbsp pickling spice (I use Kroger)
    2 tsp River Valley Hot sauce
    1 tbsp Mexene Chili powder
    1-1/2 tsp Morton Nature's Season salt
    Click image for larger version. Name: Pickled Eggs.jpg Views: 15 Size: 53.3 KB ID: 261688
    For the jars (split three ways):
    24 peeled hard boiled eggs
    3 tsp whole peppercorns
    3 tsp minced garlic (or 6 garlic cloves crushed)
    3/4 tsp crushed red pepper (or 3 packets of pizza place pepper)
    1/2 onion sliced thin (split three ways)
    3 plump green jalapeño peppers (1/4" medallions or julienne sliced)(seeded or not)
    3 plump red Fresno peppers (1/4" medallions or julienne sliced)(seeded or not)

PROCESS:
    In each thoroughly cleaned jar, arrange 8 eggs, pepper slices, peppercorns, garlic and onion.
    Mix hot pickling ingredients in sauce pan and bring to just boiling
    Stir mixture constantly and pour gently into each jar almost to the top (you can spoon the remaining chunkies into each jar)
    Place the lids on each jar and screw on ring, as the liquid cools, it should pull the lid down.
    Once the jars have cooled to room temperature, tighten ring and shake the jars to thoroughly mix the contents and put in refrigerator
    Your eggs should be ready in a week to ten days and will last quite a while in the fridge, getting better with age

NOTE: This is not the same as hot canning, so I recommend keeping these refrigerated.

Nutrition information: (best guess)
    Serving size: 1 egg
    Calories 80.0
    Total Fat 5.5 g
    Cholesterol 210.0 mg
    Sodium 700 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
    Protein 7.5 g

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...y-Pickled-Eggs

Moderator Emeritus

From DougGuy

Buttermilk Sourdough Blackberry Cobbler

Filling Ingredients:

2/3C granulated sugar
    1/3C granulated sugar
    1 tbsp cornstarch
    1C water*
    3C fresh or frozen blackberries

Filling Directions:

The night before making cobbler, sprinkle 1/3C sugar over blackberries and let sit overnight. The next day, stir 2/3C sugar and 1 tbsp cornstarch together in sauce pan,

*Pour off liquid from berries into measuring cup, add water to make one cup. Whisk water into sugar mixture and bring to boil, stir in blackberries and continue to heat to boiling.

Biscuit Ingredients:

1C all purpose flour
    1 ½ tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    4 tbsp (half stick) butter at room temperature
    1C buttermilk
    1/2C unfed sourdough starter
    1/4C granulated sugar

Biscuit Directions:

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl, cut in butter to make a coarse meal. Add ½ cup buttermilk and ½ cup unfed ripe starter. Stir until a coarse dough forms, add buttermilk as needed until dough is just loose enough to pour.

Spray No. 8 cast iron skillet with cooking spray, pour dough into skillet and spread evenly to edges. Pour berry mixture onto dough arranging berries evenly, bake in 400F oven 20 mins, remove from oven and sprinkle ¼ cup sugar evenly over mixture, return to oven and bake 10 more mins or until center reaches 200F. Remove skillet from oven and let cool 30 mins. Serve warm with your choice of toppings or ice cream.

Click image for larger version. Name: Buttermilk Sourdough Blackberry Cobbler In 120yr Old Iron Skillet.jpg Views: 4 Size: 78.7 KB ID: 304024

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...t-Iron-Skillet

Moderator Emeritus

From WRideout

Sherried Chicken Breast

This recipe is one I invented just this evening. My wife and I had already eaten before I ever thought about taking pictures. My mother-in-law, who lives with us gave it good reviews. The chicken breast should be sliced crossways, rather than sliced into strips. The chicken we had looked like turkey breast; they were huge. So I only used one sliced into three pieces; but if the chicken is regular sized, you could do all four.

Sherried Chicken Breast

4 each slices of chicken breast, ½ inch thick
    2 tbs olive oil
    2 tbs butter
    I clove garlic, pressed
    1 cup flour
    ½ tsp dried oregano
    ¼ cup diced onion
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    3 oz. cream cheese, cubed
    ¼ cup sherry

Melt oil and butter together in large skillet or pan. Mix oregano with flour and dredge chicken pieces in it. Brown chicken, onion, garlic and mushrooms in oil mixture. Turn chicken once and cover. Simmer on low for fifteen minutes. Add to pan the cream of chicken soup, cream cheese, and sherry. Stir to mix with pan juices. Cover and simmer another five minutes. Serve with pasta of choice, or mashed potatoes. Pass grated parmesan at the table, as desired. This recipe may not need any added salt, since the soup has salt already, and cooking sherry from the grocery store has salt added.

Wayne

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Chicken-Breast

Your editors note: go buy a real sherry worth drinking. Grocery store stuff is flat out nasty!

Moderator Emeritus

From 725

Hungry Man's One Pot dinner

1 1/2 # ground meat - browned and drained
    3/4 # bacon - crisped and drained
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 cans (1#15 oz) pork & beans
    1 can (1#15 oz) kidney beans - drained
    1 can lima beans - drained
    1 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 Tblsp liquid smoke (go light - too much is overpowering)
    3 Tblsp white vinegar
    1 T-sp salt
    dash of pepper
    Brown the bacon & onions together before draining
    Mix all - low heat - crock pot / dutch oven ~ 4 to 9 hours

Moderator Emeritus

From Winger Ed

Cheese cake anyone?

The other day I was watching Gutfeld on Fox and they were served cheese cake on the show.
    They ohhed and ahhed over it.... The guest said it had won several awards and blah, blah, blah.
    They described it, and what was in it..... I yelled at the TV-- "Hey, That's the recipe I use"!

Years ago, the MIL was in a assisted living place, and the parent company invited all the residents
    to submit favorite recipes for a company cook book.
    I thought- Hmmm,,,, A whole collection of Granny's favorite recipes? ---- Oh yeah,,, I'm in for that!

Here's the best recipe for cheese cake I've found, and came out of it:

12 oz. cream cheese. (I use both of the 8oz blocks in the grocery store package)
    3/4 cup sugar. (I use 1 cup to compensate for the extra cream cheese)
    3 big tbs. sour cream from a one pint container.
    2 large beaten eggs.
    2 tsp vanilla.
    Beat it till it's smooth and fluffy, adding the eggs and vanilla last.

I don't make my own graham cracker crust or have a big pie dish.
    I use 2 of the grocery store ones made by those elves that live in a tree.

Bake 20-25 minutes at 350F. It shouldn't look soft.
    Remove and let it cool for five minutes.

Mix the topping:
    The rest of the pint of sour cream
    3 heaping tbs sugar.
    1 tsp vanilla.
    Mix until smooth and pour over the cheese cake.
    Bake an additional 10 minutes.

Let cool and refrigerate overnight.

It probably has about a million calories, so you shouldn't eat anything for 2-3 days after you've had some.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...se-cake-anyone

Moderator Emeritus

Another from Winger Ed

Red Velvet waffles

I've been gathering waffle recipes lately.
    I came across one the other day that's pretty good and also combines breakfast with dessert.
    It's out one of the Doocy family cookbooks.
    Dad is a anchor on Fox, and his son is the Fox reporter that gives the White House correspondent fits in her briefings.

It calls for Red Velvet cake mix from the grocery store but should work well with others too-- except that gross carrot cake.
    Like putting coconut in cake frosting.... It's just wrong.

1 box of cake mix.
    1 cup water.
    2 eggs.
    5 Tbs. vegetable oil.

Mix and make the waffles.

Topping is like the real fancy Belgian waffles with all the yeast and the waiting for it to rise.

1 eight ounce block of cream cheese.
    6 Tbs. milk.
    1 Tsp. vanilla.
    Mix. Add 3 cups powdered sugar and mix it in. It calls for 4 cups, but that a little too much.

Cover waffle with the topping in a ring shape. Fill the center with whipped cream.
    To make it healthy and part of a well balanced diet---- put a bunch of blue berries and sliced straw berries over that.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Velvet-waffles

Boolit Grand Master

GRAPE-NUTS Banana Crunch Muffins

another "blast from the past " recipe from my Mom's recipe box ... or what to do with Grape-Nuts besides eat them with milk. This is posted in the Our Town forum but I wanted to make sure it gets in the cookbook .

Makes 12 regular sized muffins . Preheat oven to 350 F.

INGREDIENTS
    1 cup Grape-Nuts Cereal
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    2 medium ripe banana's mashed
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

DIRECTIONS
    1. Preheat oven to 350 F.

2. Mix flour , sugar , baking powder , baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl .

3. Beat the egg in a small bowl; stir in banana's , yogurt and vanilla.

4. Add to flour mixture , stirring until just moistened , batter will be lumpy - do not overmix !

5. Stir (fold) in Grape - Nuts cereal

6. Spoon batter into a 12 cup muffin pan that has been sprayed with Pam , filling each cup 2/3 full .

7.Bake in 350 oven 25 mins. or until lightly golden brown ... do not over bake !

8. Serve warm ! Note leftover miffins can be frozen , thaw out at room temperature and
    reheat until warm .

These old recipes bring back nice memories and I hope they get passed along .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

No complaints from me! Saved me some work LOL

Moderator Emeritus

From DougGuy

Excellent Zuppa Toscana White Bean Soup

I use this Alessi brand mix, and I build and add to it for this recipe as the added seasoning intensifies the flavors. So easy, and SO GOOD!

1 Alessi brand Zuppa Toscana White Bean Soup mix
    1lb Italian sausage (your choice hot, sweet, mild).
    3qts. water
    1tsp basil
    1tsp thyme
    1tsp oregano
    1tsp rosemary
    1tsp crushed red pepper
    1tbsp fennel seed
    3 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
    3 bay leaves
    1 can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    Salt & pepper to taste

In a 4qt stock pot, add water, cannellini beans, and soup mix. Bring to slow boil.

In a cast iron skillet brown sausage, mash into small pieces as it cooks, add all the seasonings and garlic, stir over medium heat until meat is browned and add to pot with beans and soup mix.

Let mixture come to a full boil and cook for 2hrs stirring often. Retrieve and discard bay leaves. Serve with buttered crusty bread.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...hite-Bean-Soup

Moderator Emeritus

From Winger ED

Crescent roll Crema Cheese Danish

I was too lazy to make real cinnamon rolls today, so I got out my cream cheese Danish recipe since it's faster.

Heat oven to 350F
    Roll one sheet of the sheet version of crescent roll dough from the grocery store out in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
    I use the glass ones.
    Bake for 5 minutes.

Melt & mix: 2 blocks of grocery store cream cheese
    1 cup plain sugar
    1 Tsp. vanilla
    Spread over the crescent roll sheet.

Put a 2nd rolled out sheet of crescent roll dough on top of that.
    Mix & spread on top of 2nd sheet:
    1/4 cup real butter
    4 tbs sugar
    1 tbs ground cinnamon

Bake 25-30 minutes.

It needs to cool before ya eat it.

If you eat the whole thing in one sitting, you might go into a sugar coma.
    So it's best to stretch it out for two servings

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Cheese-Danish

Moderator Emeritus

Another from DougGuy

Chili Relleno Casserole

buckwheatpaul posted chili relleno soup, that sounded really good, but it gave me the idea to do a casserole so here it is! I googled for the recipe, but tweaked it a bit as I went and it turned out awesome, definitely on the "hey let's make that one again!" list. Hint: The Queso Rayado cheese REALLY makes the flavors pop! It's salty and crazy delicious stuff! I got it because I didn't know if I had enough Monterrey Jack, the recipe called for 2 cups but that wasn't enough so I mixed in the Queso Rayado and to be honest, it stole the show!

Chili Relleno Casserole - Ingredients

• 6-8 large poblano peppers
    • 3 cups freshly shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    • 1 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese
    • 1/2 of a 14oz bag Queso Rayado granulated Mexican cheese
    • 5 large (or 4 jumbo) eggs
    • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
    • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    • sour cream, Queso Fresco (Mexican crumbling cheese) and fresh chopped cilantro garnish for serving.

Instructions:

• Preheat the oven's broiler and set the rack at about 6 inches from the heat source. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place peppers on the baking sheet and roast for about 10-15 minutes, using tongs to turn them occasionally, roasting until the skins are blackened and charred.

• Transfer the roasted peppers to a plastic bag for about 10 minutes, allowing them to steam as they cool. Once they are cool enough to handle, peel off the skin, cut off the stems, open them up and remove the seeds.

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 3-quart baking dish with PAM

• Lay half of the roasted chiles in the baking dish in a single layer. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of the jack cheese, half of the Queso Rayado and 1/2 cup of the cheddar on top. Repeat for the second layer.

• In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin seeds, salt, and pepper, until thoroughly combined and no lumps of flour remain. Pour mixture evenly over the cheese and chiles.

• Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes until puffed up in the center and eggs are set and golden around the edges. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy!

Link with pics to make you drool

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...68#post5568668

Moderator Emeritus

Another form DougGuy

Honey Garlic Soy Glazed Salmon

Here's another one I looked at a recipe and just winged it, truly delicious way to serve salmon.

First make the Honey Garlic Soy Glaze

Ingredients

• 1 clove garlic, minced
    • 1 TBS butter
    • 1/3 cup honey
    • 2 TBS brown sugar
    • 2 TBS soy sauce
    • Dash of ginger (to taste)
    • Dash of cayenne pepper (to taste)

Preparation

1. Saute garlic in the butter, but do not brown.

2. Add honey, brown sugar, ginger, cayenne, and soy sauce.

3. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until thick. Do not allow glaze to boil over.

I never measured any of it, grab about a tbsp of butter, chop 3-4 garlic cloves and used what looked like enough, reach my fingers into the brown sugar and scoop up a handful, LOL.. Dump about 1/2C honey in with the butter and garlic. Chop and add some fresh ginger, turn the soy bottle upside down and count to 4, same with the teriyaki bottle, and a TINY dash of dark soy sauce, shake some red pepper flakes in there, bring to a rolling boil, then turn down heat and simmer 15mins.

To make the Salmon:

Melt butter in the skillet, pour in some glaze, put the salmon on the glaze skin side down, and put more glaze on top. Spoon on glaze as necessary during cooking, and bring some glaze to the table to add to the salmon as you fork it apart. Delish!!!!!

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Glazed-Salmon

Boolit Grand Master

Home Made Fresh Peach Ice Cream
    Our favorite family recipe
    Makes one gallon

Ingredients:
    2 1/2 pounds - fresh tree ripened sweet peaches, PPC , peeled , pitted and chopped.
    1 pint - Half & Half Cream
    1/2 or 1 cup - white sugar (I like 1 cup but use 1/2 if you like less sweet ice cream)
    1 - 14 oz. can - Sweetened Condensed Milk
    1 - 12 oz. can Evaporated Milk
    1 teaspoon real vanilla extract (use the good stuff)
    2 cups - whole milk or as needed

Instructions:
    Working in batches , puree peaches with half & half and sugar in a blender or food processor .
    Mix together peach mixture , sweetened condensed milk , Evaporated milk and vanilla extract in a gallon ice cream freezer container . Pour enough whole milk into the container to reach the fill line , about 2 cups .

Put mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
    Chilling the ice cream mix (overnight) will help the ice cream freeze sooner .

The secrete is good peaches , use sweet tree ripened peaches for best results .
    If the peaches don't taste good no amount of sugar will help !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure why this book is at my hunting camp but it has been here over 50yrs.
    Ships Cook and Baker
    Otto Krey 1942

Here is Beef Stew

15-20lbs beef
    2lbs carrots
    2lbs turnips
    2lbs onions
    1lb celery
    2 lbs tomatoes
    10lbs potatoes
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cut beef into 1in cubes. Place in pot with hot water or stock, bring to boil and let simmer. Peel and cut vegetables into 1in cubes. Add carrots, turnips, tomatoes, onions and celery. Simmer till meat is tender. Season with salt and pepper. Add potatoes and boil till done. Make a flour thickening and add to stew, stirring thoroughly.

If you want it brown, saute the meat first then dredge with flour, when nice and brown add to pot and omit flour thickening
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    From BJK

Manhattan style clam chowder (w/Keto variation)

This works for folks in ketosis or not. If you're not in ketosis just use the first original recipe.

I search for recipes I can eat and make ahead. I also like recipes that have everything in one dish if possible. Today that means soup, but not just soup, chowduh (I live in Maine). But not New England chowder that is high in cow products. I wanted something with veggies. That meant Manhattan style chowder. I make the basic soup then add some sort of fish as I warm it before serving. To do that just leave out the clams.

Manhattan style clam chowder I

Ingredients

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large Spanish onion, chopped
    1 1/2 celery stalks, chopped
    7 cloves garlic, minced
    Pinch crushed red pepper
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    3 sprigs parsley
    3 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 large waxy-style potato (about 3/4 pound), diced
    5 cups clam juice (five 8-ounce bottles clam juice)
    One 28-ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes (with liquid), roughly chopped
    1-1/2 cups minced clams, drained (about four 6-1/2 ounce cans)
    1 tablespoon kosher salt or to taste
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish

Directions

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic, and crushed red pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute more. Tie the parsley sprigs, fresh thyme, and bay leaf together with a piece of kitchen twine and add to the pot with the potatoes. Pour in the clam juice and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and clams. Cover and bring to a low simmer. Season with pepper to taste. Divide among warm soup bowls and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately.

-----------------------------------------------------

OK, so I’m in ketosis and can’t eat the potato, so what did I do?

I also loathe cooked stalk celery, but cooked celeriac aka celery root, is entirely different. I love celeriac. So I omitted the celery stalks and potato and used a 4-5" diameter celeriac to take the place of both. Anyone who knows me knows that after the first time I make a recipe I make it mine. The garlic was upped and so were the herbs. The red pepper was definitely upped.

I’ve made this before with the clam broth and added a piece of fish to the bowl. That works fine. But this time I had 2 pounds of extra large shrimp with the shell on, and the shell is important for flavor. Tip: NEVER buy pre-shelled shrimp unless you want them to be flavorless.

So for this recipe today I put the 2# of frozen shrimp, again, shell on, into a saucepan and covered them with water but just covered, no excess. Brought them to a boil and simmered for just a few mnutes (3ish). Then strained the cooking liquid, aka shrimp stock, into a measuring bowl to get my 5 cups of stock. I had 6 cups so the dogs will have shrimp stock in their dishes tonight.

I didn’t saute the vegetables, everything went into the soup pot. I also use dry herbs. I always have them but don’t always have fresh. Did I mention I cook to taste? So I don’t have measured amounts but I can guess. Maybe 2 TBLs parsley, 1 tsp whole thyme, and 3 bay leaves. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup tom’ paste. Well a can is 6 ounces, and what do I do with the other 2 ounces? The entire can went in. It was brought to a boil while the shrimp cooled off in the saucepan. Once the veg’ were tender and the celeriac is the one to test, it’s done. When the shrimp are cool peel them and put them in the refrigerator.

To serve I put some shrimp in a bowl, ladle a serving over it and gently warm it in the microwave. But this time I’ll also add some mussel meat to the bowl. Delicious, keto, and a meal, including veg’ in a bowl. Cook once, and it’s easy cooking, and eat for awhile. I measured it out tonight. I get 7 servings and a serving of broth. I could have divvied up the broth into the other servings, but I didn’t. It’ll make a fine light lunch on it’s own.

There are plenty of leftovers and I’ll freeze some in individual serving containers. When I want some I’ll just pull it out, warm it and add some sort of fish or shellfish to it. A can of clams or oysters would also work.

Could you add a little green pepper? I think that would be a nice addition. I just haven’t tried it yet.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...eto-variation)
    Clam Chowder

5gal water
    1lb bacon or salt pork, diced
    1/2lb butter
    1/2 tbsp soda
    1lb onions
    1gal clams
    9lbs potatoes, diced
    1 1/4 lb evaporated milk
    1lb powdered crackers
    Seasoning to taste

Chop the clams and put into pot with water. Add strained clam juice and the soda. Put into hot frying pan the bacon or salt pork, saute to a light brown color and pour into the clam stock. Saute the onions brown, add with the potatoes to the stock. Bring to boil, then simmer until potatoes are done. Season to taste, and add the powdered crackers. Heat the milk and stir in slowly just before serving

Manhatten

Same ingredients except add 2qts peeled tomatoes.

Chop clams, put in pot with water add strained juice. Saute minced bacon until brown, drain fat add bacon to clam stock. Dice small vegetables, saute in bacon fat until browned then add to clam stock. Bring to boil, and simmer till vegetables are tender. Season to taste
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Clam Chowder

5gal water
    1lb bacon or salt pork, diced
    1/2lb butter
    1/2 tbsp soda
    1lb onions
    1gal clams
    9lbs potatoes, diced
    1 1/4 lb evaporated milk
    1lb powdered crackers
    Seasoning to taste

Chop the clams and put into pot with water. Add strained clam juice and the soda. Put into hot frying pan the bacon or salt pork, saute to a light brown color and pour into the clam stock. Saute the onions brown, add with the potatoes to the stock. Bring to boil, then simmer until potatoes are done. Season to taste, and add the powdered crackers. Heat the milk and stir in slowly just before serving

Manhatten

Same ingredients except add 2qts peeled tomatoes.

Chop clams, put in pot with water add strained juice. Saute minced bacon until brown, drain fat add bacon to clam stock. Dice small vegetables, saute in bacon fat until browned then add to clam stock. Bring to boil, and simmer till vegetables are tender. Season to taste
    Dang Jon, you feeding an army? LOL

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Another form DougGuy

Honey Garlic Soy Glazed Salmon

Here's another one I looked at a recipe and just winged it, truly delicious way to serve salmon.

First make the Honey Garlic Soy Glaze

Ingredients

• 1 clove garlic, minced
    • 1 TBS butter
    • 1/3 cup honey
    • 2 TBS brown sugar
    • 2 TBS soy sauce
    • Dash of ginger (to taste)
    • Dash of cayenne pepper (to taste)

Preparation

1. Saute garlic in the butter, but do not brown.

2. Add honey, brown sugar, ginger, cayenne, and soy sauce.

3. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until thick. Do not allow glaze to boil over.

I never measured any of it, grab about a tbsp of butter, chop 3-4 garlic cloves and used what looked like enough, reach my fingers into the brown sugar and scoop up a handful, LOL.. Dump about 1/2C honey in with the butter and garlic. Chop and add some fresh ginger, turn the soy bottle upside down and count to 4, same with the teriyaki bottle, and a TINY dash of dark soy sauce, shake some red pepper flakes in there, bring to a rolling boil, then turn down heat and simmer 15mins.

To make the Salmon:

Melt butter in the skillet, pour in some glaze, put the salmon on the glaze skin side down, and put more glaze on top. Spoon on glaze as necessary during cooking, and bring some glaze to the table to add to the salmon as you fork it apart. Delish!!!!!

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Glazed-Salmon
    Link to this in case anyone posts variations! https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...each-Ice-Cream

Wish I could get good peaches... all I can find are rock hard and have no aroma at all... garbage!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast