Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Post forum cookbook recipes here, or links to ones that have been posted before

Moderator Emeritus

From gwpercle(prolific recipe poster! Thanks!)

Double Chocolate Cocoa Coke-a-Cola , Blast from the Past , Cake

This was a popular thing in the 1970's , my wife (Debbie) would make it for her "Pokeno" parties and I got to eat all the leftover cake ... still love it . The Coke gives it a unique flavor, a simple sheet cake that's easy to make ... and brings back fond memories .

Ingredients:
    1 cup regular Coke-a-Cola (not diet or sugar free or caffiene free...real Coke)
    1/2 cup cooking oil ( like Wesson Oil )
    1 stick real Butter
    3 Tbspns Hersey's Cocoa Powder
    2 Cps. Sugar
    2 cps. plain flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 eggs @ room temperature
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

Frosting Ingredients:
    1 stick butter (softened)
    2 1/2 Tbspns. cocoa powder
    6 Tbspns. cream or milk
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    3 3/4 cup confectioners sugar

Directions:
    1. In a saucepan mix coke-a-cola , oil , butter and Herseys cocoa powder and bring to a boil . In a bowl combine sugar , flour and salt.
    Pour the Cola mixture over the flour and beat well .
    2. Add eggs , buttermilk , baking soda and vanilla and beat well . Pour mixture into a greased and floured 13 X 9 baking pan . Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 mins.
    3. Frosting : In a saucepan combine butter , cocoa and milk . Heat untill the butter
    melts . Beat in the remaining vanilla and confectioners sugar untill smooth .
    4. Spread frosting on still warm cake . Let cool until frosting sets .

I didn't say this but a piece eaten while still warm ... it's pretty darn Awesome !
    Gary & Debbie

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-the-Past-Cake

Moderator Emeritus

From Jim22

Prize Winning Bread Pudding

Like bread pudding? Like flan? This recipe combines them - and yes I did win a prize with it at a dessert bake-off.

First, melt half a stick of butter in a 2" deep cake pan. Then cover the butter with brown sugar. Then cover all that with shredded bread of your choice. I like Mexican Bolillos. Then mix up two eggs and a cup and a half of milk. Add a little vanilla. Pour the egg, milk, and vanilla mixture over the bread. Mash the bread down so it all gets wet. Put the cake pan inside a larger one that has water in it. Bake at 350 deg. F for an hour. Immediately after taking it out of the oven turn it over so the caramel on the botton flows over the pudding like with flan.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Bread-Pudding

Boolit Buddy
    This took four trips visiting my grandma to figure out her fudge. She didn't have a recipe, just knew what to add...

Grandma's Fudge

Ingredients:
    • 3 cups Sugar
    • 3 heaping Tablespoons Cocoa
    • 1 Teaspoon Salt (measured in Grandma's Palm)
    • 8 Ounce can Carnation Evaporated Milk
    • (enough to make it liquid)
    • 3 Sticks butter (use one stick to butter bottom of pan well)
    • 3 Tablespoons Karo Syrup
    • 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
    • 1 pound Pecans

Need:
    • 6 Quart flat bottom pan
    • Flat ended long metal spatula (for keeping the fudge from sticking)
    • 9x13 baking pan

Prep Work:
    • Butter the bottom of a 9x13 pan (I put greased wax paper in the bottom of the pan to lift the fudge out of the pan to make cutting easier)
    • Fill sink with 3 to 4 inches of water
    • Fill bowl or shallow cup with ice water (for checking if the fudge is done)

In a large Saucepan:
    • Add dry ingredients and mix
    • Add Milk and mix (just enough milk to make the powder a liquid)
    • Add Karo Syrup
    • Add the remainder of the butter
    • On High heat: boil for a long time until it "starts looking like candy" (Grandma’s words, translation: the mixture will start to look shiny while it’s boiling)

Test the Fudge:
    • Drop a small amount of fudge into a cup of ice water

If the dropped fudge congeals (let the drop cool, then taste to check texture)
    • Set the saucepan in a cool water bath (about 3 inches in a sink)
    • Stir until the fudge starts to set up
    • Add pecans and vanilla
    • Mix well
    • Pour into buttered pan
    • Let Fudge cool then cut into squares

Moderator Emeritus

From Tripplebeards

Baked Largemouth Bass!

I have only tried baking a fish whole once. It was a white Bass and didn’t taste very good. I got brave the other day and instead of filleting one of my Bass I scaled it, cut the fins off, and froze it. Next day I thawed it out and made a bunch of cross slits on the both sides. I drenched it in virgin olive oil, sprinkled it, inside and out, with famous Dave’s rib rib, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and rosemary. I also cut up a lemon sticking slices into the chest cavity. I also took about a third of the lemon on and squeezed it on top of the fish. I baked it at 450 degrees for 25 minutes, till the internal temp on the top part of the fish was a 145 degrees. I would have to guess it was around a four and half pound fish give or take. It made a huge meal for two. The fish lasted about 5 minutes. I caught a few more today and prepped one to do the same aging for tomorrow’s lunch. Can’t wait!

Prepped for seasoning...

After it came out of the oven...

We are the cheeks and all...

(see original post for the pics that are missing!)

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...argemouth-Bass!

Moderator Emeritus

From BJK

Manhattan style clam chowder (w/Keto variation)

This works for folks in ketosis or not. If you're not in ketosis just use the first original recipe.

I search for recipes I can eat and make ahead. I also like recipes that have everything in one dish if possible. Today that means soup, but not just soup, chowduh (I live in Maine). But not New England chowder that is high in cow products. I wanted something with veggies. That meant Manhattan style chowder. I make the basic soup then add some sort of fish as I warm it before serving. To do that just leave out the clams.

Manhattan style clam chowder I

Ingredients

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large Spanish onion, chopped
    1 1/2 celery stalks, chopped
    7 cloves garlic, minced
    Pinch crushed red pepper
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    3 sprigs parsley
    3 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 large waxy-style potato (about 3/4 pound), diced
    5 cups clam juice (five 8-ounce bottles clam juice)
    One 28-ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes (with liquid), roughly chopped
    1-1/2 cups minced clams, drained (about four 6-1/2 ounce cans)
    1 tablespoon kosher salt or to taste
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish

Directions

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic, and crushed red pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute more. Tie the parsley sprigs, fresh thyme, and bay leaf together with a piece of kitchen twine and add to the pot with the potatoes. Pour in the clam juice and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and clams. Cover and bring to a low simmer. Season with pepper to taste. Divide among warm soup bowls and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately.

-----------------------------------------------------

OK, so I’m in ketosis and can’t eat the potato, so what did I do?

I also loathe cooked stalk celery, but cooked celeriac aka celery root, is entirely different. I love celeriac. So I omitted the celery stalks and potato and used a 4-5" diameter celeriac to take the place of both. Anyone who knows me knows that after the first time I make a recipe I make it mine. The garlic was upped and so were the herbs. The red pepper was definitely upped.

I’ve made this before with the clam broth and added a piece of fish to the bowl. That works fine. But this time I had 2 pounds of extra large shrimp with the shell on, and the shell is important for flavor. Tip: NEVER buy pre-shelled shrimp unless you want them to be flavorless.

So for this recipe today I put the 2# of frozen shrimp, again, shell on, into a saucepan and covered them with water but just covered, no excess. Brought them to a boil and simmered for just a few mnutes (3ish). Then strained the cooking liquid, aka shrimp stock, into a measuring bowl to get my 5 cups of stock. I had 6 cups so the dogs will have shrimp stock in their dishes tonight.

I didn’t saute the vegetables, everything went into the soup pot. I also use dry herbs. I always have them but don’t always have fresh. Did I mention I cook to taste? So I don’t have measured amounts but I can guess. Maybe 2 TBLs parsley, 1 tsp whole thyme, and 3 bay leaves. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup tom’ paste. Well a can is 6 ounces, and what do I do with the other 2 ounces? The entire can went in. It was brought to a boil while the shrimp cooled off in the saucepan. Once the veg’ were tender and the celeriac is the one to test, it’s done. When the shrimp are cool peel them and put them in the refrigerator.

To serve I put some shrimp in a bowl, ladle a serving over it and gently warm it in the microwave. But this time I’ll also add some mussel meat to the bowl. Delicious, keto, and a meal, including veg’ in a bowl. Cook once, and it’s easy cooking, and eat for awhile. I measured it out tonight. I get 7 servings and a serving of broth. I could have divvied up the broth into the other servings, but I didn’t. It’ll make a fine light lunch on it’s own.

There are plenty of leftovers and I’ll freeze some in individual serving containers. When I want some I’ll just pull it out, warm it and add some sort of fish or shellfish to it. A can of clams or oysters would also work.

Could you add a little green pepper? I think that would be a nice addition. I just haven’t tried it yet.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...eto-variation)

Moderator Emeritus

From Dale 2242

Rhubarb Pie

It is rhubarb season so here is my wifes recipe for rhubarb custard pie.
    It`s probably sweeter than most rhubarb recipes. That`s why I like it

Rhubarb Custard Pie 9in.
    3 eggs
    3tbls milk
    2 cups sugar ,1/4cup flour, 3/4 tsp nutmeg
    4 cups cut-up rhubarb plus I tbl. butter

Heat oven to 400, beat eggs slightly, add milk. Mix sugar, flour and nutmeg; stir in . mix in rhubarb. put in pan, dot with butter
    bake 50 to 60 min. , until nicely brown..

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...87-Rhubarb-Pie

ADMIN

slow cooker open faced sirloin sandwiches

ingredients
    2-3 lb beef sirloin tip roast
    ½ cup teriyaki or soy sauce
    ½ cup low-sodium beef broth
    ¼ cup vegetable oil
    2 Tbsps finely chopped onion
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 Tbsps brown sugar
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    ½ tsp hot pepper sauce
    homemade bread or store
    bought Italian loaf, sliced thick
    provolone or Monterey Jack
    cheese slices

Directions

1. Mix together teriyaki or soy sauce, beef broth, vegetable oil,
    onion, garlic, brown sugar, Worcestershire, and hot pepper
    sauce.
    2. Place roast in a large zip-top bag, pour marinade over and
    refrigerate overnight.
    3. In the morning, place roast and marinade in slow cooker.
    4. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours.
    5. Remove roast from cooker and shred; return to cooking liquids.
    6. Toast bread and place on a baking sheet; layer shredded beef
    and cheese on top of toasted bread.
    7. Broil in oven 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned.
    Note: Plan accordingly, overnight marinating needed.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Moderator Emeritus

From gwpercle

Easy as Pie : Who doesn't like Easy No-Bake Cherry Cheese Ice Box Pie

Comfort food , easy to make ... in fact it's easier to make than a fruit pie !
    One of my wife's old desserts , when the kids were little and I was bringing home a whooping $75.00 per week , she would whip one up to satisfy my sweet-tooth and it cost hardly anything to make . A Favorite cool Summer Time dessert I still crave .

No-Bake Cherry Cheese Pie

Ingredients:
    1 pkg. Cream Cheese , softened
    1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk - regular
    1/3 cup Fresh Lemon Juice ( I have a lemon tree in the back yard)
    1 teasp. Vanilla Extract ( almond extract can also be used)
    1- 9 inch prepared graham cracker crust (it doesn't taste right if it's not grahm cracker crust)
    1 can - Cherry Pie Filling , chilled

Directions:
    1.) Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy . Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until well combined . Add Lemon Juice and Vanilla and mix well .

2.) Pour mixture into pie crust . Chill 3 hours or until pie is set .

3.) Top with Cherry Pie filling before serving , garnish with toasted almonds if you like .

It's not a fancy desert , but it taste good and doesn't require baking on a hot day !
    Gary

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...se-Ice-Box-Pie

Moderator Emeritus

Moderator Emeritus

From Wayne Smith

Mexican Chorizo and figs

Yesterday LOML went to Church and I stayed home - post surgery recovery - and as she left I asked what's for dinner. "Something with Chorizo," she said, and I have no ideas". "We have plenty of figs". After watching the Service I did some research and found a couple recipes. Nothing that really fit, but I told her I would give it a try - cooking the main dish for the first time since surgery. What I came up with follows.

Three Chorizo sausages cut into 3/4 pieces (there are just the two of us)
    12 figs cut 1/2 or 1/4
    1 Shallot cut the long way
    1 clove garlic smashed
    Oil for frying the sausage
    1/2 C red wine
    1/4 C red wine vinegar
    Honey - I used two of what came off the honey stick
    1 small piece Cinnamon stick
    1 Clove ground

Heat the oil in the skillet and brown the sausage, I added the shallot and garlic after I turned them to brown the other side. Add remaining ingredients and gently simmer 30 minutes.

LOML roasted some zucchini with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on it.

LOML took one bite, looked at me and said "This one is a keeper!"

Couple of notes - this used fresh figs, the original recipe called for dry figs. If you use dried figs (at least the way I dry them) they will absorb some of the liquid as they cook. You may need to add a little liquid. This should cook down into a thick sauce over the half hour.
    The original called for sugar - I prefer honey anyway.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...orizo-and-figs

Moderator Emeritus

From Buckwheatpaul

Cowboy Cornbread Casserole (Slap Yo Momma's Good ... but dont!

I saw this recipe posted somewhere and I took it and modified it to suit us....it is good and very filling....you can substitute venison etc for the beef.....

Cowboy Cornbread Casserole

Ingredients:

• 2 packs JIFFY cornbread mix (Use ½ C. milk per mix instead of 1/3 C.)
    • 1.5 – 2 lbs. ground beef
    • 1 can Rotel
    • 1 can whole kernel (drained) or creamed corn
    • 1 can ranch style beans
    • 1 cup shredded cheese
    • 2 taco seasoning
    • 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
    • 2 tsp. cumin
    • 2 T. water

Directions:

Mix cornbread according to package, except milk, then set aside.
    Preheat oven 425°.
    Brown ground beef, drain. Add taco seasoning, undrained can Rotel, undrained ranch style beans and drained corn. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir into cornbread mix. Mix in shredded cheese. Stir completely and pour into a greased 9x13 Casserole dish.
    Bake approximately 25 - 30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
    Can top it with more cheese, sour cream, salsa or whatever your heart desires.

Note: If you want to put cheese on prior to baking cover pan with aluminum to keep from burning….otherwise add the cheese 5 – 6 minutes prior to end of cooking time.

You can top with cheese, sour cream, jalapenos.....your imagination is the only limit!

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Good-but-dont!

Remember, I add the link because the discussion often adds to a recipe making it better!

Moderator Emeritus

From BJK

Oatmeal pancakes

On another forum hot oatmeal was being discussed and I remembered this recipe that I got from an Oster blender manual.

Oatmeal Pancakes

For a different pancake. This makes a thicker pancake. Absolutely delicious, fast, and easy!

1 ½ cups flaked or quick cooking oatmeal made into oat flour
    (Quaker Oats “Old Fashioned” type is one )
    OR 125 grams of any type oats
    (I haven’t tried groats into flour yet, but that would be 3/4 cup of groats)

3/4 cup milk or slightly more evaporated milk
    1 egg
    2 TBL oil
    2TBL brown sugar or succanat
    1 TBL baking Powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    Oat flour

Make oat flour by putting into the blender and “grinding” until it’s flour. Remove from the blender and put ingredients into the blender in the order listed below the asterisks. Cover and “blend” until smooth. Allow to stand 5 minutes before using. Cook on griddle. Serve hot with butter and syrup. I like the real deal maple syrup. Never tried any other on them, but Sorghum might work. Honey drizzled on might also work.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...tmeal-pancakes

Moderator Emeritus

From Tazman1602

Venison egg rolls

This is an old recipe gotten from Fred Trosts Michigan Outdoors. Just don’t get drunk like I did in 1982 and think twice the peanut butter is better. Enjoy! They really are good!

RECIPE:

Venison Eggrolls
    1 lb ground venison burger
    1 lb jimmy dean hot sausage
    1 chopped onion
    1 small cabbage shredded
    Lawyers seasoning salt. (Lawrys seasoned salt)
    Pepper
    Garlic powder
    Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons of peanut butter
    2 pkg of egg roll wrappers
    1 egg

Mix venison and sausage together until well blended. In large pan sauté onions until soft and beginning, add venison mix brown and chop until crumbly. Season venison to taste with Lawrys, pepper, garlic powder. Drain if needed. Steam the shredded cabbage until tender crisp. In a lg bowl put 2 teaspoon of peanut butter. Dump the warm venison mixture on top of peanut butter and add the hot shredded cabbage. Mix well add Worcestershire sauce and mix well. Taste mixture and add more seasoning if needed.
    Put 2 tablespoons of mixture into egg rolls and seal the edges with egg. Deep fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.

Hint: don’t use a lot of egg to seal egg rolls. They will become soft and tear.

Moderator Emeritus

From gwpercle

Easy Taco Soup ( Too easy to taste so good)

What to do with leftover chicken or turkey . We had a lot of dark meat turkey left over from Thanksgiving and Christmas in the freezer . I made stock with the bones and all was in the freezer . I was looking for something other than turkey gumbo last Sunday night and thought about the Taco Soup my mom used to make .
    It was so easy to make and so good tasting I had to post it .
    This makes enough to feed at least 6 hungry people and it sticks to your ribs .

Ingredients
    1 - 2 Tablespoons butter
    1 small - medium onion chopped
    2 - 4 cloves fresh garlic
    4 cups stock - chicken or turkey - (homemade or out the box is fine)
    2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning (1 ounce McCormick Original Taco seasoning pkg.)
    1 - 15 ounce can Whole Kernel Corn
    1 - 15 ounce can Black Beans - rinse and drain if you like
    1 - 15 ounce can Chili Beans (red beans)
    1 - 7 ounce can medium fire roasted Green Chiles diced (you can use hot)
    1 - 15 ounce can Petite Diced Tomatoes
    1 - 10 ounce can mild Rotel Tomatoes w/Green Chilies (you can use hot)
    2 - cups diced cooked turkey or chicken meat ( you can add more if you like)
    Toppings :
    Tortilla Chips
    Sour Cream
    Grated Cheddar Cheese

Instructions:
    In a large dutch oven soften the chopped onion in the butter ( 5 mins.) , add chopped garlic and cook 1 min.
    add the stock and all the ingredients listed except the cooked chicken/turkey and toppings and simmer on medium for about 45 mins . Add cooked turkey or chicken and simmer another 30 mins . Add more stock ( or water) if necessary .
    Turn off fire and let rest 15 mins.
    To Serve : place a few tortilla chips in the bottom of a bowl , fill bowl with hot soup and cover top with grated cheese and large dollop of sour cream ...eat along with more chips on the side .
    Opening the cans is the hardest part , a great tasting easy fixing recipe .
    Stores well in refrigerator and freezes well .
    Tonight we are having the leftover soup we didn't eat Sunday or Monday night... it taste better the next day . The secrete is good flavorful stock ... if you must use water , season it with chicken and onion base , the kind in the jar .
    This tastes a lot better than I expected it to ... a lot easier than making a pot of Gumbo !

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...taste-so-good)

Moderator Emeritus

From DougGuy, go to the link for the pics, he had a bunch!

Ham And Potatoes Au Gratin

I made this dish tonight, then re-wrote the recipe to be exactly how I made it. Turned out VERY good! Cheesy, buttery, YUM!!

Ham And Potatoes Au Gratin

Ingredients:

• 4 cups Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced
    • 1 1/2 cup diced cooked ham
    • 1 cup diced sweet onion
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 4 tablespoons Wonder flour
    • 1 1/2 cups milk
    • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    • 3/4 teaspoon Tony Cachere’s Creole Seasoning
    • dash white pepper
    • Sprinkle smoked paprika

Cheese Mixture:

Melt butter in skillet, stir in flour to make light roux, gradually add milk stirring constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles, stir in mustard, add cheese, Tony’s, and white pepper, stir until cheese melts.

Directions:

Slice potatoes and parboil until almost tender. Saute ham and onion. Assemble potatoes, ham, and onion in a greased 8” x 11” baking dish, pour cheese mixture over potatoes and mix together, sprinkle paprika for color, bake at 350F until potatoes are tender and top is browned and bubbly, about 40mins.

Click image for larger version. Name: Ham And Potatoes Au Gratin 1-15-2022.jpg Views: 5 Size: 80.3 KB ID: 294640

A note about the cheese, use some extra sharp cheddar, I found a block of Cabot Classic Vermont Cheddar in Wegman's, I haven't seen this Cabot cheese in any other stores and never used it before, but holy moley this stuff is DA BOMB!! Excellent cheddar, I think it brings out the best in this dish. I have had cheesy potato dishes before that didn't quite meet expectations, but this Classic Vermont cheddar is well worth hunting down!

Click image for larger version. Name: Cabot Classic Vermont Cheddar.jpg Views: 9 Size: 47.1 KB ID: 294641

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...toes-Au-Gratin

Moderator Emeritus

From buckwheatpaul

Cream of Jalapeno Soup

Cream of Jalapeno Soup
    (Pinterest)

Ran across this a while ago and have modified to fit us. Not hot if you take the veins and seeds out.....

Ingredients: (Makes 4 servings)
    • 1 large handful Cilantro, fresh
    • 8 Jalapenos, large – seeded and de-veined(Cut tops off; slit lengthwise; de-vein with spoon)
    • 1 Yellow onion, medium
    • 2 15 ounce cans Chicken stock
    • 4 tbsp All-purpose flour
    • 1 tsp Black pepper, fresh cracked
    • 1 tsp Sea salt
    • 1 tsp garlic powder
    • 2 tbsp Olive oil
    • 6 tbsp Butter, divided (4,2)
    • 1 cup Heavy cream
    • 2 cup Monterey jack or mild cheddar cheese

Directions:

1. Heat the oil and two tablespoon of butter in a stock pot and sauté the onion until softened, but not browned, about 5 minutes.
    2. Put the onions, seeded and de-veined jalapenos, cilantro, salt, pepper, and one can of chicken stock into a high-speed blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
    3. Melt the last 4 tablespoons of butter in the pot and add the flour to make paste, or roux. Stir for a minute, but do not brown. Slowly add the rest of the stock and the cream, stirring or whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth and thick.
    4. Add the pureed pepper mixture to the pot, and stir to combine. Bring up to a boil, then turn down the heat and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
    5. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese. Taste to adjust the seasonings.
    6. Serve immediately in small bowls topped with fresh cilantro and cracked black pepper.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Jalapeno-Soup

Moderator Emeritus

From BJK

Homemade mayonnaise

Why make your own? I make it to control what I consume, I know what's in mine when I make it myself. I don't want to eat soybean oil as all highly refined oils are high in Omega 6 fatty acids (they're inflammatory).

The problems with homemade mayo? Normally it ages too fast and needs to be used up within a week. The following recipe has a tweak that keeps it good for at least a month.

The original recipe is here, and also my changes because I can't not change a recipe. Frankly I couldn't pour off enough yogurt whey to get the required amount. Recipe with my notes follows.

Homemade Mayonnaise that Lasts Longer

A standard mayonnaise recipe with 1 tablespoon of whey added--instead of a week in the refrigerator, your homemade mayonnaise will keep for a month.

Ingredients
    1 egg + 1 egg yolk (room temperature)
    2 teaspoons apple cider or white vinegar
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon whey (drained from plain yogurt) (I just use plain yogurt with no draining. Could lemon yogurt be used? Might be worth a try but it will probably be sweetened.)
    Pinch of sea salt
    1 cup avocado oil (instead, any combination of the following [pick 2]: 50/50 coconut oil or MCT oil or buttery EVOO [pecan oil might be good])
    Dash of cayenne (red pepper)

Instructions
    Combine first five ingredients in a food processor bowl, a blender, or a medium mixing bowl. Blend well. (I use an immersion blender and a beaker.)
    Drip or barely trickle 1 cup of avocado oil into egg mixture with machine on or while you whisk vigorously by hand.
    Add a dash of cayenne.
    Pour finished mayonnaise into a glass jar and cover. Allow to sit on the kitchen cabinet at room temperature for 8 hours, then refrigerate.

Notes
    This mayonnaise will stay fresh for about a month when refrigerated and it’s delicious.

One of the reasons I like to make my own mayonnaise is so I can use one of my favorite foods, avocado oil. You can substitute vegetable oil or grapeseed oil. I don't personally care for olive oil in my mayonnaise. Namely, because the flavor is too strong. (Wrong olive oil then. Use a lesser grade, not EVOO, or use an olive oil from ripe olives. I use California brand “blended” olive oil from a bunch of different countries and 50% MCT oil and the mayo is delicious. I have used high grade EVOO in the past, and yes it does impart a distinctive flavor. Try different oils and see if any give a unique taste that you like!)

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...40#post5381940

Moderator Emeritus

Jut a reminder, I add the links so you can go to the original thread. Comments often have suggestion to try that may fit your tastes better than the original recipe!

Moderator Emeritus

Another from BJK

Chinese braised eggplant and pork

I'm always on the lookout for dishes I can eat while in ketosis. This required very little tweaking to make it right for me. It's delicious! Sorry about the word usage but I didn't write it. I tried to help where I could. I also made my version with some spicy heat to it. I will definitely make this again, but next time I'll skin the eggplant. Recipe follows.

Braised Eggplant

I like the oil stewed eggplant in the restaurant, but it is too oily to cook the eggplant like that! So making braised eggplants at home is also very good!

The picture recipe shows the use of a Wok. But a frying pan nwould work better on a western style range top.

Ingredients
    500g eggplant (18 ounces) Chinese is best, but purple globe can be used, if using PG skin it
    2 green peppers, slivered
    1# pork, slivered (beef or chicken would also work) (increase to 2# for an entree)
    2 tablespoons oil
    1 tablespoon Garlic sauce (what is this? I just used more garlic)
    2g salt (½ tsp) (not required, skip salting the eggplant esp’ if on a low sodium diet)
    3 cloves garlic ( 1 tsp+ gran garlic)
    2 tablespoons Soy sauce (I used dark and that was plenty of sodium)
    1 tablespoon+ Cooking wine (dry sherry?)
    1 tablespoon Sugar (erythritol for keto)
    1 TBL chicken base or low sodium chicken base (Herbox no sodium, if on a low sodium diet)
    1/4 cup water

(what follows are my additions)
    1 tsp toasted sesame oil
    2 TBL Harrissa (or Sambal)
    1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (not needed if using Sambal but I liked the slight heat)
    Chopped chives or green onion

How to make it (Braised Eggplant)

1. Prepare the ingredients, the eggplant I bought is tender (young).

2. Cut the eggplant into the shape you like, slivers, chunks, wedges, (skip what follows. soak it in light salt water for a few minutes, and then put it in a basket to dry the water!) When the eggplant is soaked in light salt water, we slice the green peppers, sliver the meat, and garlic and ginger! Use a spoonful of light soy sauce, a spoonful of dark soy sauce, a spoonful of sugar, appropriate amount of salt, and a few dried red peppers to make a bowl of soup! (Also chicken base, water, sherry)

3. Pour a little oil in the pot (pan), start to fry the shredded pork with ginger and garlic, and stir out all the fat (?)

4. When the meat is almost fried, pour in the eggplant, and stir-fry until the eggplant becomes soft

5. When the eggplant becomes soft, add the green peppers and stir-fry for a few more times until (then) the prepared “soup” (the liquid ingredients) is poured into the pot.

6. Pour the broth and stir-fry for a few times, then squeeze in an appropriate amount of garlic paste, fry, then pour half a bowl of water (a very small bowl) from the side of the pot (to allow the eggplant to braise), put the lid on, and simmer for four or five minutes! (Simmer til tender)

7. When the soup (liquid in pot) is almost dry, add chicken essence or monosodium glutamate, sprinkle with chives, and serve!

Tips:
    The heat must be mastered, I have been switching between medium fire and high fire!

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...plant-and-pork

Moderator Emeritus

From jonp

Homemade Ketchup

Tried a couple of variations on this recipe and have just a couple of suggestions. Use distilled white vinegar not cider vinegar unless you like very tangy ketchup. Tastes ok but if all you have is cider then for the first batch I'd reduce the amount in half. Maple syrup works great but other sweeteners do the job and shift the flavor a little. I tried Raw Sugar, Molasses, Agave Syrup and Maple Syrup. All gave a different taste but all were fine for me. Salt is salt unless you need kosher or flavored Himalayan salt but the tomato paste will drown out any variation on salt. I used Jane's Crazy Salt, but I got this from an organic foods sight so you do you. Water, unless you have chlorinated city water I wouldn't worry about it, We have a well. Garlic, I dosed it strongly as I like garlic. I did not find it necessary to cook it more than several minutes for desired thickness.

6oz Tomato Paste
    1/2 C distilled white vinegar
    1/4 C maple syrup
    1/4 C filtered water
    1 tsp sea salt
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/8 tsp garlic powder

Combine all ingredients over over medium heat and whisk until smooth.

Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently scraping the sides

Simmer until desired thickness

Remove from heat and cool

Transfer to jar or glass bowl, cover tightly and refrigerate. Should last a month or so in the fridge. If you want to preserve this for long term storage use the hot water bath method and boil 15-20 min.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...memade-Ketchup

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast