ADvertise hereRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading UKInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 1970 USD (33%)
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Post forum cookbook recipes here, or links to ones that have been posted before

Moderator Emeritus

From gwpercle(prolific recipe poster! Thanks!)

Double Chocolate Cocoa Coke-a-Cola , Blast from the Past , Cake

This was a popular thing in the 1970's , my wife (Debbie) would make it for her "Pokeno" parties and I got to eat all the leftover cake ... still love it . The Coke gives it a unique flavor, a simple sheet cake that's easy to make ... and brings back fond memories .

Ingredients:
    1 cup regular Coke-a-Cola (not diet or sugar free or caffiene free...real Coke)
    1/2 cup cooking oil ( like Wesson Oil )
    1 stick real Butter
    3 Tbspns Hersey's Cocoa Powder
    2 Cps. Sugar
    2 cps. plain flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 eggs @ room temperature
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

Frosting Ingredients:
    1 stick butter (softened)
    2 1/2 Tbspns. cocoa powder
    6 Tbspns. cream or milk
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    3 3/4 cup confectioners sugar

Directions:
    1. In a saucepan mix coke-a-cola , oil , butter and Herseys cocoa powder and bring to a boil . In a bowl combine sugar , flour and salt.
    Pour the Cola mixture over the flour and beat well .
    2. Add eggs , buttermilk , baking soda and vanilla and beat well . Pour mixture into a greased and floured 13 X 9 baking pan . Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 mins.
    3. Frosting : In a saucepan combine butter , cocoa and milk . Heat untill the butter
    melts . Beat in the remaining vanilla and confectioners sugar untill smooth .
    4. Spread frosting on still warm cake . Let cool until frosting sets .

I didn't say this but a piece eaten while still warm ... it's pretty darn Awesome !
    Gary & Debbie

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-the-Past-Cake

Moderator Emeritus

From Jim22

Prize Winning Bread Pudding

Like bread pudding? Like flan? This recipe combines them - and yes I did win a prize with it at a dessert bake-off.

First, melt half a stick of butter in a 2" deep cake pan. Then cover the butter with brown sugar. Then cover all that with shredded bread of your choice. I like Mexican Bolillos. Then mix up two eggs and a cup and a half of milk. Add a little vanilla. Pour the egg, milk, and vanilla mixture over the bread. Mash the bread down so it all gets wet. Put the cake pan inside a larger one that has water in it. Bake at 350 deg. F for an hour. Immediately after taking it out of the oven turn it over so the caramel on the botton flows over the pudding like with flan.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Bread-Pudding

Boolit Buddy
    This took four trips visiting my grandma to figure out her fudge. She didn't have a recipe, just knew what to add...

Grandma's Fudge

Ingredients:
    • 3 cups Sugar
    • 3 heaping Tablespoons Cocoa
    • 1 Teaspoon Salt (measured in Grandma's Palm)
    • 8 Ounce can Carnation Evaporated Milk
    • (enough to make it liquid)
    • 3 Sticks butter (use one stick to butter bottom of pan well)
    • 3 Tablespoons Karo Syrup
    • 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
    • 1 pound Pecans

Need:
    • 6 Quart flat bottom pan
    • Flat ended long metal spatula (for keeping the fudge from sticking)
    • 9x13 baking pan

Prep Work:
    • Butter the bottom of a 9x13 pan (I put greased wax paper in the bottom of the pan to lift the fudge out of the pan to make cutting easier)
    • Fill sink with 3 to 4 inches of water
    • Fill bowl or shallow cup with ice water (for checking if the fudge is done)

In a large Saucepan:
    • Add dry ingredients and mix
    • Add Milk and mix (just enough milk to make the powder a liquid)
    • Add Karo Syrup
    • Add the remainder of the butter
    • On High heat: boil for a long time until it "starts looking like candy" (Grandma’s words, translation: the mixture will start to look shiny while it’s boiling)

Test the Fudge:
    • Drop a small amount of fudge into a cup of ice water

If the dropped fudge congeals (let the drop cool, then taste to check texture)
    • Set the saucepan in a cool water bath (about 3 inches in a sink)
    • Stir until the fudge starts to set up
    • Add pecans and vanilla
    • Mix well
    • Pour into buttered pan
    • Let Fudge cool then cut into squares

Moderator Emeritus

From Tripplebeards

Baked Largemouth Bass!

I have only tried baking a fish whole once. It was a white Bass and didn’t taste very good. I got brave the other day and instead of filleting one of my Bass I scaled it, cut the fins off, and froze it. Next day I thawed it out and made a bunch of cross slits on the both sides. I drenched it in virgin olive oil, sprinkled it, inside and out, with famous Dave’s rib rib, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and rosemary. I also cut up a lemon sticking slices into the chest cavity. I also took about a third of the lemon on and squeezed it on top of the fish. I baked it at 450 degrees for 25 minutes, till the internal temp on the top part of the fish was a 145 degrees. I would have to guess it was around a four and half pound fish give or take. It made a huge meal for two. The fish lasted about 5 minutes. I caught a few more today and prepped one to do the same aging for tomorrow’s lunch. Can’t wait!

Prepped for seasoning...

After it came out of the oven...

We are the cheeks and all...

(see original post for the pics that are missing!)

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...argemouth-Bass!

Moderator Emeritus

From BJK

Manhattan style clam chowder (w/Keto variation)

This works for folks in ketosis or not. If you're not in ketosis just use the first original recipe.

I search for recipes I can eat and make ahead. I also like recipes that have everything in one dish if possible. Today that means soup, but not just soup, chowduh (I live in Maine). But not New England chowder that is high in cow products. I wanted something with veggies. That meant Manhattan style chowder. I make the basic soup then add some sort of fish as I warm it before serving. To do that just leave out the clams.

Manhattan style clam chowder I

Ingredients

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large Spanish onion, chopped
    1 1/2 celery stalks, chopped
    7 cloves garlic, minced
    Pinch crushed red pepper
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    3 sprigs parsley
    3 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 large waxy-style potato (about 3/4 pound), diced
    5 cups clam juice (five 8-ounce bottles clam juice)
    One 28-ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes (with liquid), roughly chopped
    1-1/2 cups minced clams, drained (about four 6-1/2 ounce cans)
    1 tablespoon kosher salt or to taste
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish

Directions

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic, and crushed red pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute more. Tie the parsley sprigs, fresh thyme, and bay leaf together with a piece of kitchen twine and add to the pot with the potatoes. Pour in the clam juice and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and clams. Cover and bring to a low simmer. Season with pepper to taste. Divide among warm soup bowls and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately.

-----------------------------------------------------

OK, so I’m in ketosis and can’t eat the potato, so what did I do?

I also loathe cooked stalk celery, but cooked celeriac aka celery root, is entirely different. I love celeriac. So I omitted the celery stalks and potato and used a 4-5" diameter celeriac to take the place of both. Anyone who knows me knows that after the first time I make a recipe I make it mine. The garlic was upped and so were the herbs. The red pepper was definitely upped.

I’ve made this before with the clam broth and added a piece of fish to the bowl. That works fine. But this time I had 2 pounds of extra large shrimp with the shell on, and the shell is important for flavor. Tip: NEVER buy pre-shelled shrimp unless you want them to be flavorless.

So for this recipe today I put the 2# of frozen shrimp, again, shell on, into a saucepan and covered them with water but just covered, no excess. Brought them to a boil and simmered for just a few mnutes (3ish). Then strained the cooking liquid, aka shrimp stock, into a measuring bowl to get my 5 cups of stock. I had 6 cups so the dogs will have shrimp stock in their dishes tonight.

I didn’t saute the vegetables, everything went into the soup pot. I also use dry herbs. I always have them but don’t always have fresh. Did I mention I cook to taste? So I don’t have measured amounts but I can guess. Maybe 2 TBLs parsley, 1 tsp whole thyme, and 3 bay leaves. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup tom’ paste. Well a can is 6 ounces, and what do I do with the other 2 ounces? The entire can went in. It was brought to a boil while the shrimp cooled off in the saucepan. Once the veg’ were tender and the celeriac is the one to test, it’s done. When the shrimp are cool peel them and put them in the refrigerator.

To serve I put some shrimp in a bowl, ladle a serving over it and gently warm it in the microwave. But this time I’ll also add some mussel meat to the bowl. Delicious, keto, and a meal, including veg’ in a bowl. Cook once, and it’s easy cooking, and eat for awhile. I measured it out tonight. I get 7 servings and a serving of broth. I could have divvied up the broth into the other servings, but I didn’t. It’ll make a fine light lunch on it’s own.

There are plenty of leftovers and I’ll freeze some in individual serving containers. When I want some I’ll just pull it out, warm it and add some sort of fish or shellfish to it. A can of clams or oysters would also work.

Could you add a little green pepper? I think that would be a nice addition. I just haven’t tried it yet.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...eto-variation)

Moderator Emeritus

From Dale 2242

Rhubarb Pie

It is rhubarb season so here is my wifes recipe for rhubarb custard pie.
    It`s probably sweeter than most rhubarb recipes. That`s why I like it

Rhubarb Custard Pie 9in.
    3 eggs
    3tbls milk
    2 cups sugar ,1/4cup flour, 3/4 tsp nutmeg
    4 cups cut-up rhubarb plus I tbl. butter

Heat oven to 400, beat eggs slightly, add milk. Mix sugar, flour and nutmeg; stir in . mix in rhubarb. put in pan, dot with butter
    bake 50 to 60 min. , until nicely brown..

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...87-Rhubarb-Pie

Vendor Sponsor

slow cooker open faced sirloin sandwiches

ingredients
    2-3 lb beef sirloin tip roast
    cup teriyaki or soy sauce
    cup low-sodium beef broth
    cup vegetable oil
    2 Tbsps finely chopped onion
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 Tbsps brown sugar
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    tsp hot pepper sauce
    homemade bread or store
    bought Italian loaf, sliced thick
    provolone or Monterey Jack
    cheese slices

Directions

1. Mix together teriyaki or soy sauce, beef broth, vegetable oil,
    onion, garlic, brown sugar, Worcestershire, and hot pepper
    sauce.
    2. Place roast in a large zip-top bag, pour marinade over and
    refrigerate overnight.
    3. In the morning, place roast and marinade in slow cooker.
    4. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours.
    5. Remove roast from cooker and shred; return to cooking liquids.
    6. Toast bread and place on a baking sheet; layer shredded beef
    and cheese on top of toasted bread.
    7. Broil in oven 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned.
    Note: Plan accordingly, overnight marinating needed.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Moderator Emeritus

From gwpercle

Easy as Pie : Who doesn't like Easy No-Bake Cherry Cheese Ice Box Pie

Comfort food , easy to make ... in fact it's easier to make than a fruit pie !
    One of my wife's old desserts , when the kids were little and I was bringing home a whooping $75.00 per week , she would whip one up to satisfy my sweet-tooth and it cost hardly anything to make . A Favorite cool Summer Time dessert I still crave .

No-Bake Cherry Cheese Pie

Ingredients:
    1 pkg. Cream Cheese , softened
    1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk - regular
    1/3 cup Fresh Lemon Juice ( I have a lemon tree in the back yard)
    1 teasp. Vanilla Extract ( almond extract can also be used)
    1- 9 inch prepared graham cracker crust (it doesn't taste right if it's not grahm cracker crust)
    1 can - Cherry Pie Filling , chilled

Directions:
    1.) Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy . Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until well combined . Add Lemon Juice and Vanilla and mix well .

2.) Pour mixture into pie crust . Chill 3 hours or until pie is set .

3.) Top with Cherry Pie filling before serving , garnish with toasted almonds if you like .

It's not a fancy desert , but it taste good and doesn't require baking on a hot day !
    Gary

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...se-Ice-Box-Pie

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345