RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Post forum cookbook recipes here, or links to ones that have been posted before

Moderator Emeritus

Hope it isn't red pepper in your bowel... and I do NOT want to know how you plan on putting it there lol bowl...

Moderator Emeritus

Lemon or Lime extract. Zest one large lemon or two good sized limes, zest only no white. Add 1 tsp sugar and one cup good unflavored vodka in a pint glass jar. Let it set for 3 months, shaking it every 3 weeks, then strain off and use a tsp in baking for a strong flavor.
    You can make your own vanilla extract the same way, omit the sugar and pour 3 cups vodka over 12-14 vanilla beans you split lengthwise. Store for 6 months shaking it every 3 weeks. You can add more vodka after you strain the first batch or pull one bean out and add it to 3-4 cups dry sugar for vanilla sugar.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 02-26-2015 at 12:35 AM.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    Lawrys is seasoned salt.
    If you can't find Lawrys, buy a bottle of Celery salt. To the bottle full, add approximately 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, and 1 tsp paprika. It'll be pretty darn close. If you have it or can find it, smoked paprika works really well.
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Moderator Emeritus

ANy season salt would work in this, I have used Johnny's(good stuff if you can find it, better than lawry's) Tony C's for a spicier kick...

Yes any season salt will work fine. We use lawreys 90% of the time. It won't change much of the flavor in that small of an amount.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Buddy

Shrimp Gumbo

8 ounces vegetable oil
    8 ounces all-purpose flour

3 pounds raw, shell-on shrimp - medium (31-40 count)
    2 pounds raw, head-on shrimp - small (51 - 80 count) - optional, but adds a lot more shrimp flavor)

2 cups diced onion
    1 cup diced celery
    1 cup diced jalapenos, seeded & deveined
    1/4 cup minced garlic

1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomato
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoon tarragon
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    4 bay leaves

1 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices and cooked

file powder
    cooked white rice
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the vegetable oil and flour into an oven-safe glass bowl and whisk together to combine. Place on the middle shelf of the oven, uncovered, until chocolate colored - 3 to 4 hours, whisking a few times throughout the cooking process.

Peel the medium shrimp retaining the shells. Refrigerate the shrimp. Put the shells along with the whole, small shrimp in a stock pot with 3 1/2 quarts of water, set over high heat and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour or until the liquid has reduced to 3 quarts. Remove from the heat and strain the liquid into a container, discarding the solids.

Once the roux is done, place in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Whisk to combine any separated flour and oil. Add the onions, celery, jalapenos and garlic and cook, moving constantly to prevent scorching for 7 to 8 minutes or until the onions begin to turn translucent.

While the vegetables are cooking, heat the shrimp stock to a boil.

Add the tomatoes and spices. Gradually add the shrimp stock while whisking continually. Decrease the heat to low, cover and simmer for 35 minutes.

Cook the sausage slices while the gumbo simmers.

Bring gumbo to a full boil, add the shrimp and sausage and stir to combine, turn off heat and allow to sit covered for 10 minutes.

Serve over rice with file as garnish/seasoning on the rice.

Note: Roux and stock may be prepared in advance. Roux can be made in larger quantities and frozen.

Boolit Buddy

Southwestern Pasta Salad

1 pound of your favorite short cut pasta (rotini, radiatori, etc.)

5-10 jalapenos - seeded, deveined, & chopped
    1 small red onion - chopped
    5 roma tomatoes - seeded & chopped
    1 cup frozen corn
    8 oz Monterey Jack cheese - diced

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus a little extra to keep pasta from sticking after it’s drained)
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1 1/2 to 2 cups tomatillo salsa (smoked if they have it)
    Salt
    Black pepper

Bring salted water to a boil, cook pasta until al dente (a little firm)

Chop vegetables & dice cheese. Keep onion separated from other veggies.

Mix oil, vinegar, salsa, salt, and pepper.

Drain pasta and dump into bowl of ice water to stop cooking process and chill. Drain well. Add a little oil to prevent sticking.

Keep components chilled. Combine pasta, veggies, cheese, and dressing just before serving.

Boolit Buddy

Crockpot Cranberry Pork Roast

1ea 3# or so pork roast-I most often use a loin roast as a butt ends up giving up too much fat
    2 cans whole jellied cranberries--jellied sauce works just as well, we just prefer the whole berry stuff
    1ea medium onion-we like red ones
    carrots and red spuds to match the number of bodies you'll be serving-cut the spuds in half, and roughly size match the carrots to the spud halves -- 2" diameter spud halves, 2" long carrot chunks.
    ground cloves, dry mustard, garlic salt and pepper

Liberally season the roast with garlic salt and pepper, and brown well.

Pour 1 can of the cranberries over the bottom of the crockpot

Slice the onion top to bottom, ending up with 8 slivers-save 2 slivers for the top of the roast

Place 6 of the slivers into the cranberries on the bottom of the pot, creating a "bed" for the roast

Place the browned roast into the pot, on top of the bed of onions, and alternately fill in the gap around the roast with spud halves and carrot chunks

Cover the top of the roast with the remaining onion slivers

To the 2nd can of cranberry sauce, add 1/4 tsp each dry mustard and ground cloves, then pour over the top of the roast spuds and carrots.

Cook 6 to 8 hrs, on low

When roast is done, scoop it and the spuds/carrots/onions into a casserole dish and put in a warm oven, while mixing a little cornstarch or Wondra flour slurry into the liquids for a wonderful gravy.

Sourdough or sourcream drop biscuits, warm of course, go real well with this roast.

Hope you enjoy as we do!
    Last edited by rush1886; 02-22-2015 at 01:10 PM. Reason: grammar
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Moderator Emeritus

Canned Smoky Pike

SMOKY PIKE
    -Fillet Pike
    -Brine for at least an hour (4 or 5 hours OK)
    -Brine is 1/2 cup canning salt, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 gallon water
    -Rinse well after brining
    -Cold smoke (less than 160º) 20 minutes or so in heavy smoke
    -Cut into jar length strips (removing the mud vein)
    -Put the following into half pint jars, in this order:
    --Corn oil - 1 tsp
    --ground mustard powder - 1 pinch
    --ground cumin - 1 pinch
    --freshly ground Blk Pepper - 2 pinches
    --Whole Mustard Seed - 6 seeds
    --Rosemary - 4 leaves
    --Fresh Garlic - 2 cloves smashed and Sliced
    --add Fish, leave 3/4" headspace
    --add 1/2 tsp more corn oil on top
    -Put lids on and process for 100 minutes @ 11+ PSI (but less than 15 PSI)

-Note: Using a 5 quart Ice crean bucket and 1/2 gallon brine and 3 quarts fish,
    that fills the bucket. Then the 3 quarts of fish fill Twelve 1/2 pint jars,
    which is one pressure canner load.

this recipe is from a previous post, influenced by Bullshop.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?106670-Pike-fry-bake-or-pickle&p=1159482&viewfull=1#post1159482
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Wild Black razberry-Rhubarb Wine

Wild Black Rasberry Rhubarb Ale.

2.5 gallons rain water
    9 lb rhubarb cut into 1" pc
    7 lb table sugar
    2 lb brown sugar
    1/3 tsp vegemite
    6 lbs Black rasberries
    zest from two lemons
    yeast cake combined from: my Rhubarb #1 english ale WL-002, Saison WL-550, and Munton's ale(dry )

Here are the notes from a batch I did on 06-20-2009.
    I Boiled water,

added 4 lb table sugar and 2 lb brown sugar,
    boiled a little more, G=1.090 at this point
    cut heat and added rhubarb, vegemite, and Lemon zest
    temp stabilized at 170
    added enough heat to hold temp at 160 for 40 min.
    inserted sanitized wort chiller...chilled to 76 deg. OG=1.083
    threw yeast, due to previous yeast explosions, I doing a "sort of" open
    fermentation using my 6 gallon "Bret" plastic fermentor, no airlock, cover on unlatched just on loosely. Primary fermentation took about 10 days.
    On 07-02-2009 G=1.030. I strained out Rhubarb bits and old yeast. Then I started adding wild black rasberries as they ripened, about every other day, about 1 lb of berries and a cup of sugar. I couldn't easily smash the berries without the added sugar, that is why I added it, also that bumped along fermentation. After about six of these additions, totally now, I have added 7 cups of sugar and 6 lb of wild black rasberries.
    On 07-23-2009 G=1.004 Now that this has sat awhile, I strained out the seeds and such. I added two more cups of sugar to bump up the gravity. I am hoping the yeast is about pooped out. new G=1.014. I was going to add campton tablets...BUT I did test them. Both Sodium metabisulphite and the Potasium metabisulphite, campton tablets removed the color. I'm wondering if it is the combination with Rhubarb's Oxalic acid that instantly removes the red color, Like it did in the second batch of "red" rhubarb ale. It's like the Oxy-clean commercial...REALLY !
    on 08-04-2009 G=1.010 I syphoned off a quart for the JAB meeting this friday. It tases yummy. The new volume is 4.5 Gallons. Figuring a cup of sugar adds about 5 pts to the specific gravity, and gravity seems to have dropped to 1.010 the estimated alcohol content is 12.5%.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?241676-Rhubarb-wine&p=2781711&viewfull=1#post2781711
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

CHIP’S BEEF STEW

2 ½-3 Lbs. Beef (round steak), all fat removed and cut into ¾ in cubes
    2 Tbs. Flour
    1 Tbs. Paprika
    1 tsp. Chili Powder
    2 tsp. Salt
    __________________________________________________ _
    3 Tbs. Crisco
    2 Med. Onions, sliced
    1 Clove Garlic, minced

1 Can of Beef Broth
    1 28 oz. Can of Whole Tomatoes, cut into pieces
    2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
    2 Bay Leaves
    ½ tsp. Savory

1 Cup Celery, Diced (about 3 large stalks)
    2 Cups Cubed Potatoes (about 3 medium)
    2 Cups Sliced Carrots (about 3 large)
    1 16oz. Pkg. of frozen mixed veggies.

In a crock pot on high heat, combine the beef broth, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves and savory.

In a large bowl, combine flour, paprika, chili powder and 2 tsp. salt. Add beef cubes and toss to coat.

In a large Dutch oven or frying pan, brown beef in hot shortening. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Add meat mixture, and all the good stuff from the frying pan, to the crock pot. Cover and simmer 2 hours. Add celery, potatoes, carrots and mixed veggies and continue cooking for another hour, or until vegetables are done.

Moderator Emeritus

Goozbeit (Beet wine with Gooseberries) recipe

Goozbeit
    5 gallon bucket of Beets cleaned and sliced thin (like scalped potatoes)
    1lb 11oz lite DME
    7lb 14oz table sugar
    12lb Gooseberrys
    1/8 tsp vegemite
    Muntons ale yeast cake off Apple cider

covered beets in brewpot w/filtered Glencoe tap water.
    Heat up to 160 deg. and hold til cooked tender (about 40 min).
    strain out liquid and throw away Beets (you can eat them too, if you like)
    Add DME slowly, once disolved add sugar, once disolved then measure G=1.
    Heat back up to 160 deg.
    Add wort chiller, Gooseberrys, heat back to 160 deg. and hold for 20 min.
    NEW THIS YEAR, I ran the gooseberrys through a food mill, then add vegemite,
    heat back to 160 deg.
    Chill to 73 deg, strain and aerate
    Yield was 5.0 gallons, OG=1.102
    Threw yeast 3:00 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master

Surf and Surf

My wife's uncle taught me this last year and it is the best thing I've ever had after a day on the ice. Or bring a grill and do it on the ice! I use it with just about anything bigger than a panfish (northern, bass, walleye) since you need thicker pieces of fish. If you thawed the shrimp you could probably get away with panfish fillets. I prefer northern/pike over just about anything else!

~3-5 lbs of fillets
    16-24 oz of frozen shrimp in the form of your choosing (tails on/off, shelled on/off, your choice)
    1 stick of butter, cubed
    Garlic salt
    Juice of 1 lemon (fresh is best)
    Hot sauce of your choice...I prefer Frank's of Sriracha

Cut the fillets into pieces approximately 1"x2" chunks. Put the fish and frozen shrimp in a disposable foil oven roasting pan and spread the cubed butter evenly in the pan. Sprinkle half of the lemon juice on top, reserving the rest to serve with the meal. Season with garlic salt and hot sauce to your liking. The lemon and butter really help offset the spice, but you can always add more hot sauce later.

Place on a grill at 300 degrees, tossing the fish and shrimp in the butter every 5 minutes. Cook until done, approximately 15-20 minutes. Serve with reserved lemon juice and additional hot sauce for individual tastes...and an ice cold beer. We always eat it as finger food but you can get as fancy as you want.

Boolit Buddy

Can't leave Ddaniel1 Cinnamon Rolls out. Theseare good.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Cinnamon-Rolls
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Vendor Sponsor

Deer in a crock pot with gravy

I found that cooking deer in a crock pot just needs for the broth you cook it in to be pretty strong or it doesn't seem to flavor the meat that well.

I use one or two of the Lipton's Recipe Secrets dry soup mixes, can be any one of the good flavors, beefy onion, golden onion, onion mushroom, some water, a good long dash each of the "3 saints" (worcestershire, soy, teriyaki sauces) this gives it salt and body and strong flavors, a shake of some kind of steak seasoning, a squirt of Sriracha hot sauce or Tapatio, or a big spoon of that Vietnam chili garlic sauce for a little heat, and last of all, about a tablespoon or two of vinegar.

Cook the deer in this until it wants to fall apart when you try and get it out, set the deer aside and get some of the liquid in a skillet and make some gravy with the liquid and some Wonder flour or some flour/water mix. OMG! Pass the biscuits fellas, the gravy is to DIE for!
    __________________________________________________ ________________

recipe:

Deer roast from hind quarter 2-3lb trimmed of ALL fat and silver skin

2pkg Lipton Recipe Secrets
    1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1tbsp Soy sauce
    1tbsp Teriyaki sauce
    1tbsp Chili Garlic sauce
    1 or 2tbsp balsamic vinegar (Alessi brand raspberry infused balsamic vinegar works GREAT!)
    1tsp favorite steak seasoning

Mix all ingredients together in a gallon freezer bag, add 1 cup water, place deer in bag with marinade, squeeze out all the air and marinade deer in the bag in the fridge at least a few hours.

Remove deer from bag and place in crock pot. Add more water to the marinade (enough to cover the deer meat), pour over deer in crock pot cook the deer in the crock pot with the marinade until done and falling apart.

Scoop out 1-2 cups of the liquid and make gravy in a skillet, thickening with Wonder flour as necessary, serve with deer meat over potatoes, rice, or with biscuits.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

The wife made Hoosierloggers butter burgers the other night. Very good. Very juicy.

JonB, I may have to try that Goozbeit. Sounds good.
    We've been drinking Rhubagoose lately. Half rhubarb wine (tart) and half gooseberry wine (very sweet).
    I cant keep Dad out of it.

Boolit Grand Master

Mike’s Spicy Italian Fennel Venison/Pork Sausage

Yep, it’s pretty spicy!

INGREDIENTS:

8 lbs of meat, preferably pork shoulder and venison in equal parts. Goal is a 4-1 ratio of lean meat to pork fat. Bone and cut into chunks around one inch.
    3 tbs salt, some say iodine free is best
    4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    1 tsp crushed red pepper
    5 tbs minced broadleaf parsley-I used most of a small bundle with the stems removed
    8 tbs crushed fennel seeds
    1 head of garlic, 8 cloves or so
    1 cup of a good red wine-optional

PREPARATION:

Crisp fennel seeds in a 325 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Chop garlic, toasted fennel seeds and parsley in a chopper or food processor. Thoroughly blend with meat chunks in a large bowl and all other spices and wine in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.

Grind using the coarse/large plate of your food grinder. Thoroughly mix a second time and fry in butter or olive oil to verify proper seasoning.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Here's what I like to do with my sausage!
    I generally use the sausage above to add to pizza or pasta sauce but every now and then I get to make lasagna!

Mike’s Italian Sausage Hearty Tomato Lasagna

Ingredients:

2 tbs olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped fine
    6 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed
    1 lb Italian sausage-removed from casings (I like my Italian fennel recipe, of course.)
    ¼ cup heavy cream
    28 ozs canned tomato puree
    28 ozs canned diced tomatoes
    15 ozs ricotta cheese
    7 ozs grated parmesan cheese
    1/2 tbs Italian seasoning herb blend-may use fresh herbs if available
    1 tbs dried basil
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    ½ tsp table salt
    ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
    12 no-boil lasagna noodles
    16 ozs shredded mozzarella cheese, whole milk or skim

Cooking Directions

Pre-heat oven to 375

Heat oil in large deep cast-iron skillet over medium heat, add onion and garlic. Cook and stir until softened-about 2-4 minutes. Add herb blend and cook/stir an additional 2-4 minutes. Increase heat to medium high and add sausage and cook, stirring and breaking up meat with wooden spoon. Cook until pink is gone but not brown-about 5-8 minutes. Add cream and simmer, stirring occasionally until liquid evaporates-about 5-8 minutes. Transfer meat mixture to saucepan and add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer slowly until flavors are blended, at least 30 minutes. Set sauce aside.

Mix ricotta, 1 cup Parmesan, basil, egg, salt and pepper in medium bowl with fork until well blended and creamy; set aside.

Coat bottom of 9X13 baking dish with ¼ cup meat sauce. Place 3 noodles on top of sauce .Drop 3 tbs ricotta mixture down center of each noodle. Spread evenly. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup shredded mozzarella. Spoon 1 ½ cups meat sauce evenly over cheese.

Repeat layering of noodles, ricotta, mozzarella and sauce two more times. Place three remaining noodles on top of sauce, spread remaining sauce over noodles, sprinkle with remaining cup mozzarella, then with remaining ¼ cup Parmesan. Lightly spray a large sheet of foil with nonstick cooking spray and cover lasagna. Bake 30 minutes, remove foil. Return to oven and bake until sauce is bubbling and noodles are soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool about 10 minutes before serving.

Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    JonB, I may have to try that Goozbeit. Sounds good.
    We've been drinking Rhubagoose lately. Half rhubarb wine (tart) and half gooseberry wine (very sweet).
    I cant keep Dad out of it.
    If you were close by, I'd surely offer you a couple bottles...I have quite a few in the cellar, some that was made in 2006, 07, 08, 09...and I think some from 2010, that would have been the last year that I made some.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast