Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 12 bore Maxie-ball

Boolit Buddy

12 bore Maxie-ball

I got my mold back from the moldmaker, it is my blocks with him cutting the cavity. I can't wait to shoot it. I comes in at 860 Grains in WW+2% Tin. It is .950" long, and has a .375" Metplat. It should expand in the as cast alloy, or 30-1. I look like the standard commercial Maxi-ball, just scaled up, and the nose is a hair shorter.

It should put a real hurting on any game you hit with it. I have not shot any yet. I think it can be pushed to 1300FPS with the right powder, but more than likely 1200FPS. I think it might be an interesting Bear protection load, because the increased mass should encourage it to penetrate deepy. It is about twice the weight if the commercial pure lead loadings.

I will keep you posted, as I get around to shooting it.
    Greg S

Boolit Grand Master
    Oy, vey......at 1200 FPS, recoil impulse on one end wouldn't differ greatly from the other end. Can you say, "Turkey Load Recoil"?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    "Kills on one end, wounds on the other"

Boolit Master

Question

Greg;
    You have more of something than I do, just not sure what!

Super Moderator

.............We need pictures man, pictures! Also, I would like to let you know how much I am enjoying the fact that it will be YOU and not me shoosting off sufficient lead to make 2 car batteries.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Moderator Emeritus

Sheesh!!! And here I was thinking I was a bit of a masochist for wanting a "Big .50" rebarrel on my #3 Ruger!!! I am humbled sir! Humbled and amazed!

Boolit Buddy
    I still have not figured how to post pictures yet. If somebody has the time, I can send them a slug to take a picture with. I am not good with photography.

It will certainly recoil, but I doubt it will be as bad as my 615Grain hollow base load at 1555Fps. It kills on both ends. I believe this load will be more of a strong shove, depending on which powder I use. The Ballistic coefficient should be far better than a regular slug, given it's increased length.

I am hoping to get it to expand to a 1" or 1.125" mushroom in as cast WW or 30-1. That should stomp just about anything on the American continent. The 12 bore/12 gauge is currently underated, because of the soft Foster slugs.
    The potential for much more performance is there. I have worked on it for several years, and Burnt alot of powder. I only get 8-11 slugs per # of alloy, depending on which mold I use.

Greg S

Boolit Buddy
    According to my calculations, recoil will be 51Ft/LBs in a 7.5# gun. In an 8.5# gun, it will be 45FT/LBS. My 770 grain slug by comparision recoils @ 58 FT/LBS in a 7.5# gun. Accoding to The Thornily Stopping power index the loads are all over 350. The index recommends any figure over 250 for Elehpants, Rhinos, etc. Greg