Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deal on a blackhawk.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I want the gun, but deciding how I will pay for it in the end.
    Good price for a convertable. I'd love to get it. I say buy it and worry about it later unless they will do a lay away for you.

Do the same thing I did when I bought my first and only S&W Model 17. Picked it up in one hand and pulled out the plastic with the other.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Doug, I have a few of the Vaqueros, and only one of them is a convertible 45. But, even if I had the one you seek, I'd not sell. I hate a thing called "seller remorse." I buy & don't sell any Ruger I like or want. That's why I have so many,,,,,!

Now, back to the OP. You will find yourself truly enjoying that new Blackhawk!

Boolit Master
    Going to say that a black hawk will take quite a bit more pressure than the ACP is rated for, so ruger only 45 acp loads. But weak link tends to be the case. 45 super is same dimensions, heavier brass. That a viable option in the ruger?

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Going to say that a black hawk will take quite a bit more pressure than the ACP is rated for, so ruger only 45 acp loads. But weak link tends to be the case. 45 super is same dimensions, heavier brass. That a viable option in the ruger?
    Several people have had that idea, some even had their ACP cylinder reamed to 45 Win Mag. Bad idea as some of those failed (thin cylinder walls if you've ever looked).... whether using energetic handloads or factory is unknown to me though.

Boolit Master
    No I wouldn't go to the effort of reaming to a longer chambering. Doing some reading the 45 super is right about the same pressures as the ruger only 45 colt loads. I have a rifle if I want some really nasty 45 colt loads, I chuck 300gr spitzers out of that. But sure seems medium 45 super loads would work in the blackhawk without any problems.

But I was reading that theres some confusion on the newer flat top models vs the older blackhawks, some said it was a lighter weaker gun where others said it wasn't.

Vendor Sponsor

The newer flattops are smaller in frame and cylinder. They are only rated for .45 ACP +P pressure of 23,000psi, where the older blackhawks and original Vaqueros are safe to 30,000psi.

The way to tell them apart, regardless of what someone TELLS you, if it has a TWO DIGIT prefix in the serial number, it is a large framed gun and is safe with Ruger Only loads, safe with pressures of 30,000psi. If it has a THREE DIGIT prefix in the serial number, it is a medium framed gun and is NOT SAFE with Ruger Only loads meant for the large framed guns. Three digit prefix guns are only safe to 23,000psi.

NONE of the Ruger single actions are safe with Win Mag pressures. That's 45,000psi, almost the same as .454 Casull.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    A cheap 1911 mag makes a nice flat, handy speed loader for the ACP's..
    Yes..

Boolit Master
    So pretty much Ruger changed the gun, so really isnt much better than the pile of other SAA clones out there? Guns that are often cheaper. Same gun store had a new in the box clone for $100 less.

Big part of why I would even buy a blackhawk was those pages in the reloading manual marked 'ruger only'.

Boolit Master
    the Blackhawk you are talking about is the strong one. I have read through posts of b.s. I was even getting confused. buy the gun and use the gun for what it was made for. the hot ruger loads were first used in the old model blackhawks.

but then I always say if you want a magnum buy a magnum.

Boolit Master
    I have seen plenty of conflicting information in different places, so I sent an email off to Ruger for their answer. Seems like it would be a really boneheaded move to make a slight cosmetic change that nobody cares about and take away one of the draws of the pistol in the process.

Not about buying a magnum, just getting the most out of what I have. I would like the option of running some hotter stuff in it. Like I said Im gonna be restricted to not much better than factory ammo, I would have bought a cheaper gun.

Just because it has a 45 ACP cylinder with it now, doesn't mean that it was shipped with it. Check to see if the last three digits of the gun's serial number are engraved in the cylinder face. I've come across many mismatched pseudo convertibles at gun shows, especially in the 357/9mm configuration. Check the fit of the 45 ACP cylinder before plunking down your cash. It's odd that the cylinder would look unused, unless of course it was paired with the gun much later.

Boolit Master
    Tackleberry, please re-read what DougGuy wrote. The 2 digit prefix Vaqueros are on the normal Blackhawk frame. The 3 digit prefix Vaqueros are on a smaller frame.

Boolit Master
    Its not a vaquero, but flat top black hawk. Stopped in today to put some money down on it, before I found something else to spend it on. It has a 2 digit prefix #. No idea on the cyl, it doesnt look like it was fired very much w the 45 colt cyl at all, ACP cyl still had the plastic thing on the back of it from the factory, no line on the cyl, no hint it had been used. If its not matched to gun Ill cross that bridge when I get to it.

Wouldn't be the first barely used gun I have bought from the same place. Bought a glock 31 not long ago, somebody had spent money on an aftermarket guide rod, then barely if at all fired it. Got a G23 there, took it apart, not a hint of carbon anywhere, dried up factory grease on the recoil spring, so may have never been fired either. Bought a Rossi single shot, one barrel was still in the plastic, owner said they guy traded stuff all the time, hardly ever used it, just wanted something new all the time.

Still trying to understand why Ruger would go and change something they have had so much success with for so long. Once they made that medium frame change, it really doesnt stand out from the rest of the SA guns out there anymore. And it probably doesnt help they didnt tell anybody, someone could go buy a new one and load it to 'ruger only' specs and have problems. Had to be a bean counter thing, a couple bucks could be shaved off each unit.

Moderator Emeritus

The smaller frame was in response to demand from customers. The Vaquero was heavier than the SAA Colt, and customers wanted something the same size and weight. The same is true with the Blackhawks. Some people complain about the weight of the Blackhawks ( I don't), so some are made on the medium frame. I have two of the .44 Special Blackhawks built on the medium frame, with the XR-3 grip frame. There is a difference. I also have about a dozen or so large frame Blackhawks in different calibers.

You buy what you want, and everyone doesn't want the same thing. That's why I drive an F-350 instead of a Prius.............

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Oh they are not light guns, if I wanted lighter I would look for that. I buy blackhawks for their strength, something that only comes with the extra weight. They going to have 2 lines then, regular ones and lighter ones? I dont know that much about blackhawks, bought my first one last year, a 357, those are heavy. I noticed the difference just picking up the 45, less metal.

I see some changing the grip section, guess the newer ones are a little smaller than older ones. A bit to small for the caliber, I have no idea what fits and what doesnt. I bought some of the hogue grips, but a bit to big.

Boolit Grand Master

Tackleberry41;
    The Ruger .45 Colt/.45 ACP Flattop Convertible is a WONDERFUL single action handgun. If you will send me a Private Message with your email address I will forward to you a fine article by Brian Pearce on your new revolver. It gives the whole story, lots of tested loading data and you'll find that while your revolver won't handle "Ruger Only" loads it will handle loads considerably heavier than Single Action Army clones and last through several life times.

My .45 Colt is the SS Bisley Convertible built on the large frame and while it will handle heavier loads than yours, yours will feel much better in the hand. The Flattop was not yet available when I got mine or I would have probably opted for it. I DO have a pair of .44 Special Flattops and can tell you from first hand experience, that I prefer the handling qualities of the flattop over the old, large frame, Black Hawk.

FWIW
    Dale53

Vendor Sponsor

Flattop with a two digit prefix? Would lead me to believe this is an old model gun. Not sure Ruger even made OMFT in .45 caliber.

Pics when you get it for sure Tackleberry, but look on the back of the cylinder. If the boss the ratchet star is machined into is round, it is NOT one of the NMFT guns on the medium frame. If it is scalloped between the teeth, it is NOT one of the OMFT guns, but a NMFT on the medium frame.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one and both cylinders needed to be opened up. Once this was done the gun is accurate with both cylinders. A target level load in 45ACP with a 200 grain SWC is the most accurate load in mine.

Thanks
    Mike

Boolit Master
    I will say I am a bit confused as to what is what. Like I said dont know a whole lot about the blackhawks. When I say 'flat top' the top of its flat, from the rear sight to the front of the receiver. The new new version has a dip in the top of the frame, this would be the new medium frame version? Thats what my 357 is the newer style.

One I bought is flat top whole length, with 2 digit serial prefix.

Boolit Grand Master

My experience agrees with 45 2.1 on the .45 ACP cylinder. Despite (or perhaps because of??)
    the long throat, mine is noticeably more accurate than the .45 Colt cylinder.

Mine came way undersized, shot OK with jacketed but tended to throw a couple of fliers out
    of a 5 shot group every time with boolits. Throats on .45 Colt were .450 and .45 ACP cyl
    were .449. I opened both to .452 with a reamer and polished to .453 and they shoot
    better now.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.