RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Salt/Sugar cured, hickory smoked deer!

Boolit Master

Salt/Sugar cured, hickory smoked deer!

Hey fellers, my first post in the recipe/cookin section! I am a avid hunter, along with my wife, we usually take 3-5 deer per year, process them ourselves, grind, can, freeze and so on We grow a huge summer garden and this year winter garden, along with chickens and other livestock, being self sustaining is our hobby. In 2013 I experimented with salt curing a deer loin and chunk of deer ham, worked great! Here in KY, late ML season, I connected on a big ole doe, dressed out#130, huge! I carefully trimmed out all the good cuts, an salt cured with a quick cure, in 2 weeks, yep I said 2 weeks. I then rubbed down with dark brown sugar and black pepper, smoked for 2 hours with hickory chips, man did it turn out swell. Has a light smoky taste, about half as salty as country ham, but taste's just like it. Here is how to do it.

1. Take any major deer part, ham for instance, and bone off the meat, separating each muscle in each quarter and the loins. I then cut them in manageable size chunks, and place them in a large, heavy duty gallon freezer bag, leaving enough room to zip close easily.
    2. Weigh your bag. If it weighs #4, put in a heaping tablespoonful of Morton tender quick curing salt, per pound, #4 pounds, 4 heaping tablespoonful's. Zip up and place in your fridge. Every 24 hours, pick up the bag, flip it over, place back into the fridge. Do this for 14 days. After the 2 day, a brine will have formed in the bag, and speeds up the curing process.
    3. On day 15, remove from bag and rinse, it is ready to slice and freeze at this point, you have what some folks call buckboard bacon. I rub down with a heavy coat of dark brown sugar, black pepper and smoke for 2 hours, remove, let rest then slice/ freeze. You have a lightly sweet, salty, smoky lean meat that is good on buiscuits, in greens, or just by itself with eggs for breakfast. This works for pork too, did a huge shoulder this year as well.
    4. When I cook, I cover in water, bring to a slow bubble, put a lid on for about20 minutes, should be rehydrated and tender, still like country ham. I drain off 90% of any water left, then, sprinkle a little brown sugar on, let caramelize for a few minutes, then serve on
    biscuit's.
    If someone will send me a phone# or email, and help me post pics, can send 3 or 4! Just thought I would share!

Boolit Master

I would post pics for you in a heart beat... I love venison!

Vendor Sponsor

This sounds quite interesting, would love to try it! Yes pics!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Mattw, pm me a email or phone#, pics await

Boolit Master

I have cured hog meat that way so why not venison or other meat.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Moderator Emeritus

deer pastrami is good stuff

Boolit Buddy
    I did a whole deer loin when I did a side of bacon the other week. Similar to your process and copied from a youtube vid from Tim Farmer:

1/4 c kosher salt
    1/4 c dk brown sugar
    1/4 PURE maple syrup

Cover meat with rub and sealed in a bag. Flip every 24 hrs for 7 days. Day 8 - rinse, pat dry and let dry over night.

Cold smoked for 4 hrs over maple, then baked in oven at 190 degrees until internal was 145. Sliced thin, it didn't even make it to the roll before disappearing.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    deer pastrami is good stuff
    Tease! Have you posted that somewhere? Sounds good.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus

No I haven't posted and it and have no pics. Haven't made it for awhile.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Tease! Have you posted that somewhere? Sounds good.
    Check out <cowgirlscountrylife.com>. It's an excellent blog/website. Scroll all the way towards the bottom of the page, on the right hand side, you'll see the recipe for venison pastrami. I've used it many times and it is fantastic.
    Maybe Mary can check it out and see if it is similar to her own.
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, rush1886.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I'm defiantly going to try this. Dads been after me for a couple years to figure this out.

We smoked one of our goats last fall after marinating it for 24 hours. It came out very good. I suppose deer would be the same.

Moderator Emeritus

I start with your basic corned beef cure and added extra black pepper. Let it cure for a week then cold smoked it for awhile then raised the temp to bring it to 145 internal so it was cooked through.

Boolit Master

I've made deer pastrami before, and it was excellent. I'll have to remember this thread next year. I wouldn't try it with a loin because I like to fry the loins, but a hindquarter would work.

Boolit Master

Smile Guys, this looks seriously good! Pic posted for koger!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG950248.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	132372

Now that would be good eatin'

Boolit Master

One more!

Name:	IMG_0247.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	132373

Moderator Emeritus

Where is the rye bread and sauerkraut and thousand island dressing? Oh yeah and some melted swiss cheese...

Boolit Buddy

and the dill pickles, and the ice cold porter!
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Boolit Master

Looks like I have some curing to try on my next fall hunting ventures, We all love cured pork so the deer will be on the next list.

Boolit Buddy

Venison ham is excellent. Here is a pic of the results of deer season 2 years ago. Hams, Venison logs and snack stix's before they were cut into 5" pieces and packaged. I cure the hams for 21 days then rub a couple of them with a mix of pure maple syrup and and a canadian steak seasoning. These come out like a pastrami. I rub a couple with just maple syrup, these come out more like ham. I smoke them off and on for a couple days of cold smoke then smoke cook them to internal temp of 155 degrees. In fact Easter Sunday I didn't take pics but had a ham from this past seasons deer.

Name:	20131224_083457.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	136630
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,