MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Power Pistol loads for .357 mag

Boolit Buddy

Power Pistol loads for .357 mag

I need some advice, please. I just scored 3lbs of Alliant Power Pistol. I've never used this powder but in these times of scarcity I was glad to get it. I was hoping to load up some .357mag with 158gn LSWC in my Dillon 550. I hear tell it's an excellent powder for .357mag and .38Sp +P but my reloading manuals don't show loads for CBs over 125gn. Poking around the net, it seems that people use about 8gns of PP for a boolit of this type.

I'm not comfortable trusting random posts at unfamiliar sites but I have a lot of confidence in the members here. So if you could advise me...

1. A good starting load.
    2. A typical working load.
    3. Can I use Small Pistol primers?
    4. Any other issues with this powder that I should know about?

Thank you for your help.
    ..still remember that no man loses any other life than this which he now lives, nor lives any other than this which he now loses. / Marcus Aurelius.

Reloading 357mag, 38Sp, 9mm, 380acp

Boolit Master

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I like to 'blast' my GP100 so I load 8.0 grains of PowerPistol with a 158gr bullet. For my Ruger LCR, I drop down to 7.0 grains ( .38 +P is a max of 6.0 grains ). I use nothing but small pistol primers, have never used magnum primers. "Any other issues with this powder that I should know about ?" Yep, its really hard to find, its fantastic in 9mm and its my favorite powder for .500 magnum ( 24.0 grains with a 350 grain bullet ). Powder, when fired, has a loud report and blows a great flame out of the muzzle

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...spx?powderid=8
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Beard & Bonz. From what you've said it looks like I should stay between 6 - 8gns with a 158gn LSWC.

Interestingly Alliant does give a .38Sp load of 5.4gns of PP for 158gn LSWC. I think I'll stick with a faster powder for plain .38Sp but I might do some +P with PP

Thinking I'll crank out 6gn - 8gn loads in half grain steps, 10 of each and clock them.
    ..still remember that no man loses any other life than this which he now lives, nor lives any other than this which he now loses. / Marcus Aurelius.

Reloading 357mag, 38Sp, 9mm, 380acp

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Sounds like a plan. I always "work up" to a load, don't fully trust manuals or even QuickLoad...

Lee manual states that you can go up to a max of 8.5 grains with a 158 grain XTP (JHP) which I have done. I normally crank out .357 rounds on my progressive press and monitor the charge to make sure that it doesn't fall below 8.0 grains, a little buffer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	357 158gr LSWC PowerPistol.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	130269
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master
    3.5-4 gr PP in my 9mm,356 -124 gr /6gr in my 40,.401-175gr swc and 8gr with the same bullet in my hunting load in my 10mm (all glocks) . I do like Power pistol !