Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Patching 291's almost.

Boolit Master
    Today's little trick. When rolling a patched boolit. For this fellow its hard to see & keep that patches leading edge from wondering. So's to get that perfect looking 2-roll wrap. I simply stack my sheets of patching paper evenly on a flat surface then take a indelible pen and stripe or paint one side of my patching paper {the side soon to be the leading edge of my patch.} Doing so. Its so much easier to roll and follow a little straight (color) line. Especially for me as I roll my boolits on a piece of 1/4" (white) plastic cutting board. When the board and patch paper are near identical in color this technique of coloring the very edge of my paper before hand sure helps during a patches wrapping.
    Last edited by OverMax; 04-13-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    Got some good news today. A tracking number received for my WC-860 order. _ "Its in the mail fellers." _I'm so anxious!! just want'a get out and shoot some of that 50 cal pulled stuff.

Boolit Master
    Received my WC-860 powder today. Recently visited CastPics for a recipe and the powder itself came with limited instructions including a reduction % for its use when compared to H-870 loadings. 311041 .302 bullets are patched and waiting to be seated. If only the wind would cease. Just a matter of weather cooperating now.

Boolit Master
    There are just so many facets to P/P. Caliber to be P/P. As some calibers are suitable and others are so to speak debatable. The right paper to use. The diameter of the boolit. The boolits BHN hardness. Full case powder charge or not. Wet or dry wrapped. Tail or folded. In the barrel measurements. Duplex'ing charge or not. I wonder if those fellers back in the mid 1800s thought about all this stuff when P/P'ing their Sharps & Remington #1s? _I have well over 200.00 ($) stuck into this P/P monkey business and yet after all this time. I'm >still looking for that most accurate charging. This part of reloading. (p/p ing) No doubt is indeed the epitome of the word >addicting. Enough of my moaning. Time to go patch a few 041s on the kitchen table.

Yep, that's the whole deal with this smokeless patching - isolating all the variables. And there are a lot of them. You eventually learn which ones are vital, and which ones are minor. You will find that a certain formula will work for nearly everything, with modifications for individual cartridges and rifles themselves. After 6 years of doing this, I am still learning how to make it really work. The bit of one day it's a laser beam and the next day with the same load I can't hit the berm twice in a row always has me curious - why does it do that? But it's simply the variables - I don't always have a hand on the ones that matter!

As for the guys with their Sharps rifles - those chambers were designed specifically for paper patching, and if they followed the factory's advice the guns shot very well. It was very simple then, and is still now if you are using black powder in a gun designed for patched bullets. These smokeless chambers are all different, and we're dealing with designs that are really not made to do this. So we go through all sort of motions to make it work, given the handicap of the chamber designs we're dealing with as well as the much higher pressures and rotational speeds that come with small bores and modern cartridges. The fact that it works at all makes it all that much more interesting. Keep at it, it is a terribly addictive thing since it is so hard to achieve really good results repeatedly.

-Nobade

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm so glad to read that I had thought that it was just me that would have catastrophic group failure for no particular reason and the rifle that shoots everything but won't sling a patch for nothing.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Found another way to hold patches in place once dried. And one that isn't as messy as raw egg white or as sweet as candy. While sitting at the kitchen table I was marking different P/P cartridges with colored indelible pens for the purpose of charting the papers used in their patching. As I was holding those colored cartridges and carefully checking their exteriors (final inspection.) I noticed their painted boolit tips had a feeling of sticky-ness when dried. So I patched a few boolits that were deliberately striped on their grease groves prior to their patching. This morning I clipped those same bullets of their tails and not one boolit's patching came loose. I even tried to loosen their patches on purpose by twirling them between my fingers with compression and nothing. Just thought I would pass this info along for others to try and see for themselves if the Tip works for them as it has for me.

OVERMAX, What brand are those markers?
    I don't have any problem with my patches coming undone, but something like that is always good to know.
    Brodie

Boolit Master
    Just Sharpies Brodie. Any color Sharpie when coated heavily seems to have a gripping-ness when allowed to dry on the surface of a boolit's grease groove rings. With a tight first paper wrap. The ink in short order will keep that first wrap stationary. I assume. The Tip will apply to either wet Or dry patches.

Boolit Master
    Upon patching a few boolits today because it certainly isn't a nice Spring Day here being *40.
    I realized those Sharpie painted lube rings on my 311/041 cast once wrapped can accept a tightening of its patch simply by rotating the boolit in the direction of its patch wrap between my fingers while applying some pressure. I notice when tightening many patch's not one ever slipped even one millimeter with this Sharpie painting technique. I also quickly realized with different colored Sharpie's I can also keep track of the different patching papers used being I'm one of those guys that try's different patching paper at whim. {i'm always on the scout for a better patching paper.} Todays paper use was Bunn coffee filters. Transparent, tough, and having lots of cotton strains throughout. Bunn seemed to wrap pretty darn good. But~~~ my cast had to be sized .303 from the usual .301 I have been using. With two wraps of Bunn on those 041s today they mic'ed .312 when dried. No further re-sizing was required. For a Winny 94 barrel. .311 is perfect. But a .312 is a shade better than ideal.

Boolit Master
    After some experimenting. {Paper Patching} It only get better & better. My Winny isn't scoped. So I'm kind'a limited to a benchrest 75 -80 yard target shot with my old eyes. Which is OK as I do have a scoped 270 for those way out and touch somethings occasions. Been a fun adventure paper patching. No doubt about it.
    A little spendy having to buy a better mold for the purpose and Mil spec surplus powder. But what hobby isn't these days.
    End results: Old 30-30 patched {.301 BHN 10 cast} is doing better in speed than a 2-1/2 410 slug!! My last grouping were three inch or smaller depending on the winds direction & its gusting. So I'm quite happy with the end results. Was it worth the effort having to learn how? I think so. A whole new aspect in reloading keeps the interest alive for me. __BTW: Met some other C/B Members who were also into the technique and a helluva good machinist (Buckshot.) So it's been a win-win proposition when all said and done.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123