WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting a cross cut in boolit nose

Cutting a cross cut in boolit nose

I just wondered if any of you had did this to a cast boolit or heard of it being done for hunting? I've heard older guys talk about doing this back when most ammo didn't have hollow points. Mostly .22 ammo that was loaded with solid lead.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    The idea must go back quite some time as I have some non-headstamped outside primed 50-70 ammo this was done to. I'm sure it was loaded well before 1900 but, of course it's hard to tell when the noses were cut.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    Do it if you want to screw up the accuracy of the bullet. Of course as a kid I tried it on 22rf bullets. Maybe a year or so ago a link was posted here on the forum about this subject. A fellow did some really good bullet-in-flight videography showing the effects of messing with 22 rf bullet noses. In each case, like cutting the nose off, cutting an X, etc., the results were not pretty. The bullets did all kinds of odd things in flight.

Perma-Banned

I have ground a little more meplat on a .358 bullet that I used and it never affected the accuracy of it. I used that bullet hunting and it never failed to shoot as well as I did.

bhn22

They've been around for ages

Boolit Master
    Paco Kelley had a way to nip off the nose of 22rf to help it open up faster, I think.

JMO, but the boolit would be likely to separate into four pieces upon impact.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

I've personally never done it but, a older guy told me once about how he did it so his .22 would kill ground hogs better. Another guy said he cut a cross into .45 ACP 230 FMJ with a hacksaw.

Early 70's, for head / neck shots on rabbits while head lighting in thick cover, hollow point shorts just couldn't be beat. Well, except when a small Philips point screw driver was pushed into the nose. Never effected accuracy that I could see and the rabbits weren't telling. And they didn't disappear into the thickets. In more open country for jack rabbits I just used a '92 lever gun loaded with RCBS 38-162 SWC and very little powder. Just enough to get it there with very good accuracy. Even lobbing them out over a hundred yards it wasn't difficult to connect.

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    I've personally never done it but, a older guy told me once about how he did it so his .22 would kill ground hogs better. Another guy said he cut a cross into .45 ACP 230 FMJ with a hacksaw.

Once read that in WWI if the German's caught you with a file to cross cut bullet noses you were a duster.

Boolit Buddy
    In my younger days, I took some FMJ M1 carbine rounds and, using a triangle file, filed a cross in the end of the bullet. It didn't seem to affect the accuracy much, my standards being pretty low, minute of hog.. If I recall correctly, they were pretty explosive at close range.

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    I have seen it done by a now gone member of the greatest generation. He would saw a .22 lr solid point down to the driving band and use them to dispatch snapping turtles he caught in his duck pond.

Boolit Master

I probably have done it in my younger days but don't remember.The story I always heard that back in the days of the county fairs etc,they would tie a dollar bill onto a silk string and it was yours if you could shoot it off.The ideal that a x cut into the bullet would grab the string and cut the dollar(maybe a 5) off the string.This was suppose to happened in the depression days.Just hearsay for me,just a little early in time for my being here on earth.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Bub
    Probably be more effective on vampires...
    Other than that I think it could only hurt bullet performance.

Boolit Master
    I thought it was from India...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expanding_bullet

Quote Originally Posted by Fatdaddy View Post
    Probably be more effective on vampires...
    Other than that I think it could only hurt bullet performance.
    I remember a movie with Rupert Everett. It was a zombie movie, and he did this to kill them. In the movie, it worked GOOOOD.

We did it as kids with razor blades on 22lr ammo. Drilled a 3/8 hole in a hunk of 1x6 that would steady the round, then slide the round up through the bottom of the hole. A few taps on the back of the blade, cleaved the bullet tip into four petals. This was actually in an Outdoor Life magazine back in the late 1960's. It doesn't hurt accuracy as much as one might think but it is explosive on squirrels and chipmunks.

Boolit Master
    interesting. Paco's tool is great stuff from what I read on it. I have messed with meplats quite a bit and have found them to take quite a bit of manipulation to affect much of anything except benchrest size groups insode 100 yards. Handgun distances meh.....unless your Elmer Keith. They can drastically change a BC but thats not to much to concern yourself with inside 100.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTC View Post
    We did it as kids with razor blades on 22lr ammo. Drilled a 3/8 hole in a hunk of 1x6 that would steady the round, then slide the round up through the bottom of the hole. A few taps on the back of the blade, cleaved the bullet tip into four petals. This was actually in an Outdoor Life magazine back in the late 1960's. It doesn't hurt accuracy as much as one might think but it is explosive on squirrels and chipmunks.
    Did this when I was a kid. I remember a can with an entry hole and three exits.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast