Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: WW Plus Tin

Boolit Bub

WW Plus Tin

I haven't cast any bullets for about 15 years but am ready to get going again. I picked up over 1,000 pounds of WW over the weekend and have begun melting them down into clean ingots. I want to add a little tin to the WW and was thinking of adding 1/2 pound of 50/50 solder per 10 pounds of WW. Is that enough extra tin for good casting or should I add 1 pound 50/50 per 10 pounds of WW? I am casting for .44 Special & .44 mag (Keith SWC) and for a .41 mag.

Boolit Master
    MtnGunner
    I can only offer one mans opinion and you can deceide whats its worth. If you add 1/2lb tin to 10lb WW you will be adding 5% tin to your WW. As is WW should have about .5% tin so you would be ending up with about 5.5% in your alloy. Since we can cast good boolits in some molds with the existing .5% in WW it doesnt take much more to persuade the obstinate molds to cooperate. If you only add another .5% you are doubling the ammount. I have cast good boolits at 100 to 1 which for practicle perposes is 1% tin. For about the same % tin you could mix your 50/50 with 50lbs WW. Many people eather repeat what they have heard others say or believe from thier own experiance that at least 2% is required. I can live with 1% for my problem molds and straight WW for the ones with manners.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master

I have found that 2% added to wheel weights is plenty. Adding more than that is a waste of Tin as it doesn't make the bullet any harder and exceeds the need for good bullet fill out. Works for me.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator