Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: The biggest cast pot I have ever seen

Boolit Master

The biggest cast pot I have ever seen

One of the local second hand stores has a monthly 50% discount day. Today I found the largest cast iron turkey frier I had ever seen. The bottom pot was bigger than a 20lb. propane tank. And the domed cover was bigger than my normal cast iron kettle by atleast twice. All of the roaster was listed at 50$ so I could have walked out with it for 25$. But I don't melt any quantity of lead any longer so I let it pass.
    The worst part was it had never been used for anything. Kevin

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Now that's a shame. At one time, I coulda made good use of that smelter. Nowdays I don't shoot enough to justify it and have all my lead converted to ingots ready to cast with.

Boolit Grand Master

At the price of cast iron these days it sounds like $50 would be a bargain. Some folks advise against cast iron for smelting but it sounds like a good smelting pot.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

If you need a really big pot you can get Louisiana cast iron sugar kettles that hold 270 gallons, they are seven feet in diameter. Now that's a lot- o-pot.

Boolit Buddy
    I would have bought it on principal. What a deal, and you could raffle it off at your local club.

I've been starting to consider pouring into moulds from a bottom-pour ladle, 1.5lb variety (for pressure pouring), and using my turkey fryer would be great for this. Until now I've only used it for "smelting" WW's and mixing alloys to make ingots for my casting pot. I have a thermometer I could use to get it set up right. I just haven't figured out how to keep several moulds at casting temp so I could rifle through 5 or 6 of them in one pouring session, concurrently! Somehow make the most use of the fast-pour.

bhn22
    I think Tom Dugas has the worlds biggest electric pot record locked up though:
    http://www.hensleygibbs.com/TCD/articles/castingpot.htm

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    If you need a really big pot you can get Louisiana cast iron sugar kettles that hold 270 gallons, they are seven feet in diameter. Now that's a lot- o-pot.
    Seven feet around! 270 Gallons? what are they, just one foot deep and seven feet around ??
    That is like a very large seven foot diameter pizza pan.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 02-05-2015 at 05:25 PM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Bub
    Here is my smelting pot for range lead. It currently has 4800 lbs of range scrap, and when I have about 7000, I will smelt it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	129640

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	58 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	129642
    Last edited by Crosbyman; 02-05-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosbyman View Post
    Here is my smelting pot for range lead. It currently has 4800 lbs of range scrap, and when I have about 7000, I will smelt it.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	62 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	129640

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	58 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	129642
    That is awesome!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosbyman View Post
    Here is my smelting pot for range lead. It currently has 4800 lbs of range scrap, and when I have about 7000, I will smelt it.
    I hope you've tested it at capacity so you know it won't leak! What a mess 3.5 tons of liquid lead would make. Or a weld springs open once the liquid pressure gets into all the crevices... horizontal geyser.. old unfaithful!

I would be very cautious about using a cast iron pot that big. It's one thing to to cook big birds in it, it's another thing to fill it full of molten lead - lots and lots of extra weight!