Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rice in mould storage

Moderator Emeritus

Rice in mould storage

I recently was told of the fail-safe method of "fixing" cell 'phones which were immersed in water: Place 'em in a sealed zip-lock bag with a handful of (uncooked ) rice for a few days. The rice purportedly gets damp -- while the 'phone is dried to again perform.

The thought came, would this technique "work" for storage of iron (e.g., H&G) boolit moulds? Sure would seem easier than (my method) of spraying with Starrett oil after each use and then degreasing before the next.

Hence, I reckoned I'd ask if any of you pro's at casting have ever tried this, and if so, the result.

Thanks!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't see how it could hurt anything.

As long as you emptied the rice periodically and replaced it with new.

Ben

Boolit Master
    If the rice gets damp, it would be the last thing I would want in my iron molds.

Boolit Master

I'm thinking if you get it totally dry, place in a plastic sandwich bag with a handful of rice it would work well.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master
    My thoughts are not to actually put the mold into the rice, rather keep a bowl of dry rice in your mold storage cabinet. Once the rice in the bowl has collected moisture, discard it and replace it with new dry rice.

I used to use rice to keep my fishing hooks from rusting up-it worked well as long as it was replaced fairly regularly. A lot cheaper than bags of silica gel.

Rice works; but why bother? Everyone has those silica gel bags with the "Do not eat" labels that come with everything from electronics to shoes to food and pill bottles. I save all of them in snap top box. Then just put one wherever it's needed. Pistol rug, die boxes, safe, etc. Easy to recharge in the oven. And free.

http://www.impactlab.net/2010/08/03/...a-gel-packets/ for instructions on recharging.

Love Life
    The kitty litter section also has silica stuff.

Put the molds in a plastic zip lock freezer bag and no moisture should get in. I'd not really add rice. Too big a chance a nice mouse would sniff it out and That would be worse than minor rust

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Put the molds in a plastic zip lock freezer bag and no moisture should get in. I'd not really add rice. Too big a chance a nice mouse would sniff it out and That would be worse than minor rust
    I can't describe what it felt like after pulling my iron Lyman, RCBS, Ohaus, & Ideal molds out of storage only to find mice had made a nest inside the box they were stored in and their urine absolutely destroyed ALL of the molds, tried to make repairs but the damage was irreversible. Hope someone avoids something like this in the future by reading this. Molds are now stored inside my home in a safe place inside plastic storage containers and are checked on a regular basis. I still get sick when I think about the money lost and the collection that I once had. Thankfully so many of them have been reproduced on GB's here & at NOE's online store that I've been able to replace many of them. I don't know where I'd be without all that's available from being here at Cast Boolits!
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master

Just hop over to flea bay and get yourself some VPCI paper I use the cortec brand,I've been to leave a mold on the porch for awhile still no rust The stuff is cheaper than you'd think and it's great for stopping rust
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

bhn22
    You can bake small pieces of drywall low and slow, and it becomes a satisfactory desiccant as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Desiccant crystals are pretty cheap at the craft store. A small bag of them in the mould storage area is enough. Toss it in the oven for a quick recharge.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master

Rice 1 and a half cups, carrots 1 cup chopped fine, half a red onion diced, 1 cup celery chopped, I bag of sharp Cheddar or pepper jack cheese or both I back broccoli one small.chicken ......

Boolit Buddy
    i store my molds with handles on and lead in em inside old shot bags. Stacked in a 50 cal ammo can with vpci paper at the bottom. Seems to work fine, but all stored indoors. Of course, I don't load 12gauge anymore, so my newest molds are bare since I ran out of shot bags. Anyone throwing some away?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I use rice all the time to store my aluminum molds in . . . I've never had one rust yet! Oh . . . wait a minute . . .

Boolit Grand Master

Sealed in a bag rice would absorb any moisture. In the open it will hold moisture till it becomes saturated then it will also release it over long periods of time. Silica pacs and dessicants will do the same when they become full. I still perfer a light oiling and clean before useing.

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Rice 1 and a half cups, carrots 1 cup chopped fine, half a red onion diced, 1 cup celery chopped, I bag of sharp Cheddar or pepper jack cheese or both I back broccoli one small.chicken ......
    Do you like your mold rare or well done............?

Vendor Sponsor

I keep all my mold on Blue cheese
    My molds get sprayed with Birchwood Casy Barricade and put in plastic bags .. Seems the mice do not like that smell at all .. Or it might be the killer blocks I put out 5 to 6 times a year ..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    If your house is air conditioned/central heat; then a simple 5 gallon bucket with a good sealing lid in the back of your closet will do just fine, no need for rice, dessicant, silica or any other stuff under these conditions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast