Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mold mallet/ Sprue Knocker

Boolit Grand Master

Whacking, tapping or hitting dosnt truly descride the action alot use with a mallet, hammer or handle. When I open the sprue plate with the small dead blow hammer it is more of a running push on the sprue plate than an actual tap or blow. When a bullet sticks then light tapping on the hinge pin to vibrate the blocks to free it. I also gice 2 -3 light taps on mould fingers to make sure blocks are fully closed. ( again a tip picked up on brooks moulds website). I also use a couple sets of cabin tree locking mould handles with good results. Cutting the sprue is more of a push thru than a smack or hit.

Banned

I use a glove if at all possible. But, it is impossible to use any implement to strike a sprue plate that will not exert force up or down on the sprue plate. It may be of no consequence, but I doubt it with most molds. A steel mold, built like a tank, can take a whole lot more in terms of non-linear impact. My goal is to exert the least amount of up/down force to the sprue plate. A gloved hand is the best option in my opinion, but even then, there will be some non-linear force. If you use a stick or hammer, that is a time honored method.

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    I never drop the sprue back into the pot because sooner or later you will get splashed.

Lab
    I thought the same way in the past. But after I started using the welders gloves that changed. The glove covers the entire opening of the pot when I drop the sprue in. So if there is a splash, it will hit only the glove.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    I thought the same way in the past. But after I started using the welders gloves that changed. The glove covers the entire opening of the pot when I drop the sprue in. So if there is a splash, it will hit only the glove.
    Hopefully
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

I too have adopted a rawhide mallet for the molds that require tapping. Of course the Lee six bangers with their built in sprue cutter rock!

I tried welding gloves but don't like them, for this particular use, as I don't have much "feel" because they are too thick and clumsy for my liking. The thinner leather gloves I use aren't any good for sprue cutting (hurts my hand). I pretty much do like labradigger, the small wooden hammer doesn't leave my hand when casting.

Works for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Old hickory wood hammer handle, no sense throwing away a good piece of hickory after replacing the hammer handle so it became recycled to tap open moulds .
    Mamma always said " waste not, want not".
    Gary

Boolit Master

Gloved hand
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned
    Hammer from an H&G mold.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0003.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	128896

Boolit Master
    used to use an old chair leg when it broke i started using a light weight thor hammer with nylon replaceable faces

Boolit Buddy
    I turned a small hickory mallet to replace an old hammer handle that I used for twenty years. It really depends on the mould, alloy and my mood at the time of casting. Why use your gloved hand when a tool of wood, leather or plastic will work? Having the mallet helps with my casting cadence too and keeps me just a little further away from something very hot. Reminds me of barehanded catches in baseball, I suspect glove handlers here know what I mean. Whatever works, no judgement or snarky responses.

I have a piece of ash that was once part of the frame for a cot. I tap the sprue plate gently and I always drop the sprue back into the lead pot, totally cognizant of the likelihood of lead splash-back. It's a smooth operation that started when I was 10 or so and now I'm 61.

Boolit Mold
    I use a hardwood cocktail muddler to tap open the sprue plate. When I'm through casting, it goes back on the bar for making Mint Juleps and Mojitos.

In Remembrance
    Gloved hand (the same deerskin gloves I use for driving, loading hay, and fixing fence)

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    I whack every mold spruce plate I have.

I use a piece of dense ipe wood for my whacker.
    Is it denser than spruce?
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    When some one states that they use any kind of implement to move the sprue plate, that does not say how much speed or force they use. To assume that they are hitting home runs with a bat of ash is a bit wrong to say the least. I've been casting since 1971 and I use a hardwood hammer handle that is sold in stores as a replacement. One should not have to explain himself to anyone but I'll play along on this one. While working as a police officer and working what is called "extra duty" for funds to keep the home running, I was working in a club that had dancing girls. They had three men who were drunk and trying to get on the stage with the girls. I went to break it up and the fight began. I was able to knock out two of them before the third grabbed me from behind. There is a technique that is used to release yourself from such a hold. I did it and it worked except the force sent my right hand and forearm through the front plate glass window. When I looked down, I could see bone and other things hanging out of my wrist area. My right hand no longer has any feeling at all.
    When I cast, I choose to use the hammer handle while holding the mold in my left hand. I use bullplate
    mold lube and the push is not with any great force.
    I choose not to wear a glove on my right hand because I have suffered severe burns since my injury because I cant feel anything. That is why I try to keep my right hand as far away from all possible trouble. If that says that I don't know what I'm doing, then I'm ready to sign up for the remedial classes. Give me the time and place. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Banned

"When some one states that they use any kind of implement to move the sprue plate, that does not say how much speed or force they use. To assume that they are hitting home runs with a bat of ash is a bit wrong to say the least..One should not have to explain himself to anyone but I'll play along on this one...If that says that I don't know what I'm doing, then I'm ready to sign up for the remedial classes. Give me the time and place.."

Who said any of that? No one. Touchy touchy. Why so serious? This was a friendly discussion, that you, for reasons unknown,devolved, and managed, once again, to mention that that worked as a bouncer. Got it.
    Last edited by jmort; 01-31-2015 at 03:48 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I think an actual poll on this subject would help provide some interesting numbers and maybe enlighten us more so. As far as hitting the moulds sprue plate and or hinge pin there are many diffrent hammer styles, types, materials along with many types of diffrent blows, and or swings. There are so many variables here to sort out besides just what "wacker" or gloved hand.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=montana_charlie;3116009]Gloved hand (the same deerskin gloves I use for driving, loading hay, and fixing fence)
    Is it denser than spruce?

Ipe wood is a very dense and heavy wood used in upscale exterior wood work. It will easily outlast any cedar or pressure treated lumber. You can not get a nail gun to shoot through it and must pre drill every hole. Makes a dandy whacker.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

Been using a rawhide mallet for decades. Hurt nary a thing. Works great, no damage at all.
    Regards
    Jack

A big old screwdriver handle

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast