MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

View Poll Results: Chili: Beans or no beans?

Voters
342. You may not vote on this poll
  • You ain't from around here are ya? No beans!

81 23.68%
  • Dang WILCO! It's got to have beans or it isn't chili!

157 45.91%
  • Who cares! I'll eat three bowls either way.

81 23.68%
  • Get off my lawn!

20 5.85%
  • Really WILCO? Really?

14 4.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: The great chili debate of 2015. Beans or no beans?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    I've had what I consider to be authentic chili, cooked by a pretty little Mexican lady who worked at the dealership where I used to work. She had her green card and was working towards becoming a US citizen, the official way. I'm sure most of you have seen the strings of dried peppers hanging in the markets. That's what chili if made from. Just what do you think the word "Chili" means? Chili, the dish, is chili peppers, meat, and spices. No tomatoes and no beans. And it was the best Chili I've ever had.
    And you didn't get the recipe ???
    I sure would like to see it if you did get it ... Please
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

My oldest sister had a recipe that started out:

Cook a pound of beef suet until it is orange and oily.

The orange from the suet was as close to tomatoes as that chili ever got.

It was, interesting.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    My oldest sister had a recipe that started out:

Cook a pound of beef suet until it is orange and oily.

The orange from the suet was as close to tomatoes as that chili ever got.

It was, interesting.
    I use beef fat trimmed off the stew meat or chuck roast, render it down a bit... or bacon fat if I am to lazy to take that step.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    sorry, America and this forum have spoke. you can keep that bowl of nasty green chilli's right there in texas
    Here in NM, we LIVE and BREATHE green chile. Not remotely the same as cowboy chili so we're allowed to have both on the menu, but no way do we compare the two as if they were even comparable. A different dish altogether. Dang good stuff!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    Here in NM, we LIVE and BREATHE green chile. Not remotely the same as cowboy chili so we're allowed to have both on the menu, but no way do we compare the two as if they were even comparable. A different dish altogether. Dang good stuff!

--Wag--
    The best Chili I ever ate was at a Chili Cooking Compitetion ...
    ... and it Was Green Chili ... I think it was called Chili Verde .
    Now I was a judge in this Cook Off and I tasted everyone's chili .
    There were 12 traditional Red Chili's and 8 Green Chili's entered ...
    And the best tasting , Winner of the Chili Verde Division and winner of the "People's Choice" award was this one Green Chili recipe ... I wish I had the recipe because it was the best tasting stuff I ever put in my mouth ...red , green or blue ...
    It were good !

If anyone has a real good Chile Verde / Green Chili recipe ... I would Love to have it ... I'm clueless !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Tell that to a pregnant woman.
    Exactly!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

to each their own

I don't like hot, but I do like heavily seasoned/spiced.
    Sometimes it seems folks get off on hot for the sake of hot.... I tell them I have a bottle of gas and a lighter for 'em

As for the post about italian pasta...
    When I was in high school, some kids went to italy for a class trip
    They went to a restaurant and wanted pizza
    When the waiter started to take their order... they ordered a few with multiple toppings... the waiter stopped them and said "Pizza?? you get pizza or Deluxe. Pizza is dough and pizza sauce (no meat) and deluxe has cheese!
    He explained traditional italian pizza is just a disc of dough with seasoned tomato sauce, or sometimes has cheese.
    He then told them if they wanted all that other stuff, they need to find a Greek restaurant.

Chili: my mom made it with those disgusting kidney beans. I would use brown beans.... and now IF I want to add beans, I puree them first.
    But usually now, I make a red soup with meat chunks, and call it chili. Sometimes I'll puree beans, and other veggies to add for a different flavoured dish.
    Oh, yeah... and what's this crap about ONLY a few cloves of garlic??? I use a full bulb for every onion I put into food.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Bub
    Chillie con-carnival!

Right or wrong mine is heavily seasoned ( cumin, coriander, paprika and smoked, garlic, onion and a dash of turmeric etc) light on the heat.
    Kidney beans - half mushed for thickness, tomato puree enough to coat. Maybe some bell peppers and or celery, I cook like the chef off the Muppets.

When serving mine gets a good slog of hot sauce

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post

--Wag--
    thats the point its all chili. nobody is right or wrong. cook it the way you like it and enjoy it. i know the way i like and thats how i make it. i could care less if you put bananas in yours. all i ever said was the majority of americans put beans in it and i could care less how they make it in mexico. how many hypocrites trying to tell us were not eating chili right make spaghetti with tomato sauce and beef hamburger when that not the way they ate it in Italy? about everything we eat and call Italian is American. who cares! you are not somehow superior if you dont eat beens in your chili. actual chili from mexico was many things it was like our stew. throw in anything you have. from what i read on it was they used the peppers to cover the taste of the half rotten meat they had so it wouldnt go to waste.

Boolit Master

Okay lets drift the thread what is the weirdest thing you have seen or put in Chili!
    I added apples once rather then peppers for my father that complained about indigestion from bell peppers , It turned out well too!
    I have seen peanuts , celery, cheese , noodles, and other things I can not recall in peoples chili.

P.S. I have put 8 oz of Sharps Cheddar chees in a 5 quart chili batch it made a creamy tasty chili in hunting camp . I just let the cheese block melt into cooking chili near the end of cooking stirring occasionally . I also added a single home grown Ghost pepper to another five quart chili batch and I really liked it but others complained it was to hot!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Beans, no beans, if it's called chili, I will eat it.
    If it's hot enough to dissolve a horseshoe, so much the better.

Prefer chili with body and real substance. Coffee is a drink not supper, same for red water.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

The best chili is after a chili cook-off, all the remnants are mix together and let sit over night. Next day's lunch at the club.

Can't be beat.

No beans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I made a pot of the best chili I've ever had last week. Over the top chili in my Camp Chef pellet grill. All ingredients in a cast iron dutch oven except the meat. set a cooling rack over the pot with the meat on it and cook till meat reaches the desired temperature. Crumble up the meat and add to the pot and cook to your liking. Easy peasy. Sorry you bean haters, This stuff, along with any red chili had beans. Chili Verde you have a case for no beans.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    Okay lets drift the thread what is the weirdest thing you have seen or put in Chili!
    I added apples once rather then peppers for my father that complained about indigestion from bell peppers , It turned out well too!
    I have seen peanuts , celery, cheese , noodles, and other things I can not recall in peoples chili.

P.S. I have put 8 oz of Sharps Cheddar chees in a 5 quart chili batch it made a creamy tasty chili in hunting camp . I just let the cheese block melt into cooking chili near the end of cooking stirring occasionally . I also added a single home grown Ghost pepper to another five quart chili batch and I really liked it but others complained it was to hot!
    Prunes - it was surprisingly good.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...urprise-chili/

https://www.mashed.com/205733/the-se...ding-to-chili/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I know I've said this before. I say it every time someone puts kidney beans in Chili.

ANYONE WHO PUTS kidney beans IN ANY KIND OF CHILI SHOULD BE HORSE WHIPPED.

There were only 2 kind of beans in Chili; pinto beans or small red beans.
    It was the Easterners who came out west and tried to change our food to suit weird Eastern tastes.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I know I've said this before. I say it every time someone puts kidney beans in Chili.

ANYONE WHO PUTS kidney beans IN ANY KIND OF CHILI SHOULD BE HORSE WHIPPED.

There were only 2 kind of beans in Chili; pinto beans or small red beans.
    It was the Easterners who came out west and tried to change our food to suit weird Eastern tastes.
    id bet chili was ate in the east before there even was a west. out west was probably the place chili recipes were first altered. cooks on cattle drives that had to have food that didnt spoil had dry beans and probably put the in everything. cheap coinvent protein. like i said before chili to mexicans was a throw anything you had in a pot. even not so fresh meat and use chili's to cover the taste. if all they had was chili's then thats what they ate. this chili snob bs came from texas. i like texas and have some texas friend that are good people but its their way or the highway with everything. a high school drop out on welfare in texas thinks hes better and more intelligent than anyone from any state. newsflash for you guys down south. you didnt invent chili. mexicans did and id bet a dime to a 100 bucks they didnt care what was in it as long as it fed their kids. now we have Californians telling us what chili is. now if this was about sushi id be paying attention but i wont take chili advice advice from ca any more than surfing advice from someone here in the UP of michigan. by the way didnt all westerners come from the east? at least the caucasian ones

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    id bet chili was ate in the east before there even was a west. out west was probably the place chili recipes were first altered. cooks on cattle drives that had to have food that didnt spoil had dry beans and probably put the in everything. cheap coinvent protein. like i said before chili to mexicans was a throw anything you had in a pot. even not so fresh meat and use chili's to cover the taste. if all they had was chili's then thats what they ate. this chili snob bs came from texas. i like texas and have some texas friend that are good people but its their way or the highway with everything. a high school drop out on welfare in texas thinks hes better and more intelligent than anyone from any state. newsflash for you guys down south. you didnt invent chili. mexicans did and id bet a dime to a 100 bucks they didnt care what was in it as long as it fed their kids. now we have Californians telling us what chili is. now if this was about sushi id be paying attention but i wont take chili advice advice from ca any more than surfing advice from someone here in the UP of michigan. by the way didnt all westerners come from the east? at least the caucasian ones
    They surf Lake Superior... in winter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgfQ68Z8Bc

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    They surf Lake Superior... in winter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgfQ68Z8Bc
    what a bunch of idiots. it proves there in every state. i would even jump in and jump out of lake superior in august. that lake NEVER is warm. only one that ever enjoys it is my chocolate lab

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast