Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for a lubricant

Boolit Buddy

Another vote for Imperial.
    I also use a 50/50 mix lanolin/HEAT (99% alcohol) depending on the sizing operation, but Imperial is my "go to" lube.
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Boolit Master
    One more vote for Imperial.

Case Lube
    12oz of 91% isopropyl
    1 bottle of RCBS case lube
    8 marbles

I put this in a sprayer bottle with the marbles and agitate it every time I use it.(though I'm not sure it needs that). I use either quart or gallon ziploc bags. I spray 2 or 3 squirts in the bag and then add the brass, work it around and dump them into a cookie tin for the small batches or onto a cookie tray for the big batches. (The bag is pressed flat and reused until dirty, then replaced with a new one.) The alcohol flashes off quickly. The lube is distributed evenly. My hands stay clean enough to load a round from start to finish. I've loaded well over 5000 rounds and I probably have 3-4 oz left. Clean off by wiping with a rag or large batches I vibratory tumble with fresh corn cob media.

Some how I've posted this in the new case forming subforum. This lube does work for forming 223 down to 222 for me. Anything more complex than that and I'll use my tin of Imperial
    Last edited by slughammer; 01-22-2015 at 11:03 AM. Reason: New subforum
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master
    For ordinary forming and sizing I use Imperial.

For really heavy duty or sizing nickle plated rifle brass I use Mystic JT6 synthetic blend chassis lube.
    It is about $5 for a 14 oz tube. This stuff is so slippery, when you pull the handle on your press to break it over center and pull the case out of the die, the case will often back itself out/eject itself from the die. Not recommended for normal use because it is a little bit messy and being water proof - hard to get off of your brass.
    EDG

Boolit Bub
    Still using the same bottle of RCBS lube that came with my Rock Chucker kit 22 years ago! A little goes a long way and I've never needed anything better even for some advance case forming jobs.

Patrick

Boolit Master

Imperial for FL sizing rifle. RCBS on every 10th straight wall handgun case. I actually only twist the mouth of the case on the pad.
    John
    W.TN

Banned
    For everyday use, Ideal lanolin based wire pulling lube. Dirt cheap, and you don't have to mix anything up as when making your own lube. A quart costs under $10. For case forming , and heavy duty work, Imperial.

Boolit Grand Master

For cases that have been fired w/cast and not to high pressure, I use a spray made of 25 percent olive oil, 75 percent Iso Alch. For cases that are fired high pressure, use Imperial. Same for case forming. Like most started with STP on a pad(them days are gone for ever I hope), mink oil works good, and know of one guy way back who claimed he used Crisco. Never verified however!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Dillon spray lube or Hornady One Shot.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Vendor Sponsor

Imperial works every time
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Imperial works great. Haven't found the need nor the time to experiment.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Imperial for common brass lubing, Lanolin, castor oil & sandalwood oil for bullet swaging and cfl-56 case forming lube for radical re-forming made by Rooster. Use a lot RCE's Jacket drawing lube when making Large copper strip jackets. My lube cabinet looks like my wifes beauty products shelf.

HGS

Boolit Master

For heavy duty resizing (LC brass fired in a machine gun) I use Hornady sizing wax. For all others, I use Dillon or Hornady spray. The water base Lee in the plastic tube also works well for full length resizing. It is also easier to wash off your brass that Hornady or Imperial wax.

Boolit Bub
    Years ago someone led me to use Summer chain saw bar oil. I smelled and looked exactly like the factory stuff I was using at the time. I could not believe it. Been using it ever since. Works beautifully, and a one liter bottle is only a few bucks.

Cast Boolits Owner

I was one of the ones who tried to make their own case lube after I tired of miserable experiences related to the use of cheap spray lubes. My Dad kept telling me to "try Imperial" but I never got round-tuit until the day he handing me a can. The feeling I equate to trying it for the first time was the same as first session with my Star sizer - Why did I wait so long!
    Last edited by No_1; 01-26-2015 at 07:28 PM. Reason: kan't spel
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Sounds like I need to get some imperial! Normally use RCBS case lube II. Never thought about mixing THAT with alcohol. Ideal wirepulling lube, well, it might bring back bad memories of when I did commercial electric. We called it duckbutter.

LEE lube, sometime's with the alcohol mix,sometime's straight

Another Imperial user, but I've tried all sorts of concoctions from wire pulling lube, to an old jug of Vaseline when it had high amounts of lanolin in it. About the only thing I haven't tried is Astroglide��

Boolit Master

I like Imperial but have had great results with Lee lube thinned with water and applied with my fingers. Both lubes work well but Lee cleans up easier. I've used both to form 256 Win cases in a full length sizing die, just went slow in stages. Tim

In Remembrance

I have used many different things, but now use lanolin on my palms and rotate 5 or 6 cases between my hands at a time. I drop lubed cases in a zip loc bag until all are lubed, Fastest efficient method I have used. For case forming, Imperial.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast