RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: I broke my Dillon 1050

Boolit Buddy

I broke my Dillon 1050

Hi Guys,
    I don't know how this can happen.
    I didn't think this part can ever break
    Just so you know, It can.
    I wonder what Dillon will say in the morning?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dilon=broken-3.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	128020

Name:	Dilon=broken-1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	128022

Name:	Dilon=broken-2.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	128023

Boolit Man

Oh man, that sux. You might try cleaning your next one once-and-a-while.... I'm just saying.....
    Because freedom isn't free....

Boolit Buddy
    Actually it didn't look dirty when it wasn't broke.
    Most of the "dirt" you see is grease that should be there.
    This press had about 500k-700k cases run through it.
    But still from all the part in the press this one doesn't look like the part that could break.

Boolit Master
    You broke the crankshaft. Maybe you should go with a forged unit and have a high performance grind and heat treatment done so that the specs are perfect and the stroke exactly the same on each piston..............Oh wait, we are talking reloading presses here.

That is a lot of brass. Has it always been cranked by hand? Is there any interference of parts when it is run? It seems like a sizing die set too far down would cause the machine to cam over and I could picture that type of a failure as a result after many, many rounds.

When I tore down my 1050 for cleaning and a caliber change, I was impressed with how well it is built. Working on it was like working on my 79 Chevy pickup. The parts are more simple and beefy than some of the new stuff that was built to do the job as cheaply as possible. There might not even be 20k rounds of use on my 1050 and I have only broken a c clip on a sizing die so far.

Let us know how the repair goes.

What Dillon will say is "How old is it?" Hope it's less than a year old.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yep, if its over a year old, Dillon is going to quote you a price for the replacement parts
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Buddy
    LOL, its over a year old, no warranty.

I like to call Dillon tomorrow and see if they can offer an explanation to what happen.
    Since I have few converted press I do have the spare part as it is not used on the automated ones.
    The press will be up and running before noon tomorrow.

I'm more worried about the reason for one of the strongest parts of the press to break.
    It could be that the dies as suggested have been dial very low. The only thing I wonder is how can it be "Too low" when the dies that are used are Dillon dies and I should be able to dial them low enough for the neck to form where it needs to be without breaking the equipment.

The dies are touching the press to a point where you can feel them touching.
    Though i didn't personally adjusted the press in the specific occasion I did notice that dies have to be dial low in order to get the neck where it needs to be on both the 223 and 300blk. I did check the brass that came out f this press and the neck is spot on according to the Wilson case gauge.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...owtopic=204091

Dillons reply in this thread suggests they can let go in a million rounds forming cases. Guess you can lower their number a bit. Also looks like they have changed the design as some point.

Boolit Buddy
    A friend of mine is a professional reloader, uses a lot of 1050's. He has broken 3 or 4 of the rams, all breaking at the same place as yours. He told me that it comes about when a small primer shell (.45ACP) gets in the system with large primer cases, to avoid having to stop everything he just "powers thru" and discard the case. Every now and then this breaks the ram, he just gets a new one and keeps going. Remember, the 1050 has a built-in primer pocket swager and every pocket gets swaged.

Dillon has been very good about honoring its "No BS" warranty, he has several spare rams also.

Steve

Boolit Buddy
    Hi,
    Yup, this make sense.
    We are not doing large small primer cases on this press but every now and then a primer is returning back to the case pocket and then get swagged. This stop the press and we are taking out the brass and trash it.

I'm out of the 1 year warranty, though Dillon have been proven very good in the past I dont have many hopes in getting a "free" part. Ill give it a shot with low expectation.

I don't keep annual count on how many cases run through the press I could have run over a mil in it by now.
    When we do put it to work it is doing a min of 6k a day and that can last for 2-3 weeks strait.
    Figure I have it for about 18 Month or more the actual no. could be very high.

Thank you guys for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Steven View Post
    He has broken 3 or 4 of the rams, all breaking at the same place as yours. He told me that it comes about when a small primer shell (.45ACP) gets in the system with large primer cases, to avoid having to stop everything he just "powers thru" and discard the case.

He needs one of these.

Small primer on a large primer setup will be stopped by the swage rod not entering the pocket. Just pay attention and don't force anything.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.