Load DataInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: pickled eggs

Talking pickled eggs

Anybody here make their own pickled eggs? I usally just use the brine from pickles but I would like to make my own brine. I lovem but when the wife see's what im doing she's like " oh dear"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use a mixture of vinegar, boiled pickling spices, some surgur as the main ingredients. Some hot peppers and sliced onions tossed in spice things up. Don't ask me for amount of ingredients, as I have never measured!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    The one I use (make it while the wife is out of the house - it will clear your sinuses while simmering)

Pickled eggs recipe:

1 dozen eggs boiled and peeled
    2 cups white vinegar
    1 teaspoon pickling spice
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 medium size lemon peeled and sliced

Combine ingredients and bring to a slow boil
    Reduce heat immediately and simmer for 8 minutes
    Place eggs in wide mouth jar
    Strain hot vinegar solution over eggs
    Cover and chill 10 - 12 hrs.
    Will keep several days (actually longer)

side notes:
    It will easily make a dozen and a half depending on your jar shape - use glass if possible
    I generally follow the recipe and spice with Tabasco, salt, and pepper when I eat them.
    You can cook in crushed red peppers to taste if you want a spicy solution.
    The cooked lemon is very pulpy(sp?) I found it easier to strain through a metal sifter screen into a seperate bowl, then through a tea towel to get a real clear solution. Going through a tea towel first just plugs the towel and it will not drain through very fast - be sure to rinse the sifter screen and the tea towel thoroughly before the wife gets home and sees it! Left alone it will rust the metal screen.

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

I like mine pink...

Juice from 1 jar of pickled beets
    1 1/2 cups of white vinegar
    2 1/2 cups of water
    1 clove of chopped garlic
    1 bay leaf
    2 teaspoons of mixed pickling spice
    1 onion sliced thin and separated into rings
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine ingredients in a glass or ceramic container.

Add 1 dozen hard cooked eggs.

Refrigerate 1 week before eating.

Cool

Mine's kind of an old time Bar type recipe. You start by getting a 1 gallon jar of Pickled Pigs Feet.

Eat the Pigs Feet and reserve the "juice" in the jar.

Pickled Eggs, a'la Wilma "Billie" Morrison

6 to 8 Bay Leaves
    1/3 c Water
    8 to 10 Dry Red Chiles
    18 Eggs, hard boil and peel
    1 t Salt
    1 Onion; thin slice into rings
    2/3 c Vinegar
    Pickling from 1 gallon of pigs feet

Mix all ingredients in the gallon jar left after finishing the pickled pigs feet. Allow to stand about a week before serving. Great with beer, but watch out tomorrow.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Master
    I use a lot of crushed fresh garlic and onion in mine, I'll use any reciepe but always add the garlic and onion.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

I use the brine from left over Penrose hot sausages.

+1 on the pickled pigs feet. Been there done that but its been many many moons ago.

Boolit Master

Eggsellent idea with the pickle juice! I usually just drink it, but I will try the egg thing. Sounds great! My wife is not hip on me eating eggs either. Once she saw me eat a half dozen boiled eggs and a 16 oz. can of saurkraut, and she asked me "Why do you do this to me?"

Boolit Buddy
    EMC45:

It would be selfish not to share.

Boolit Master

I agree with Crash in using the juice from spicy pickled beets. I also have to mention just put small clove of garlic and a little dill if you have it.

Boolit Master

GSM,
    Believe it or not, that is exactly what I always tell her!!!!!!

I know the leftover juice from commercial pigs feet and sausages works, but every time I have tried to pickle eggs from scratch, they turn purple. Does anybody have a "solution" for preventing that?

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    Eggsellent idea with the pickle juice! I usually just drink it, but I will try the egg thing. Sounds great! My wife is not hip on me eating eggs either. Once she saw me eat a half dozen boiled eggs and a 16 oz. can of saurkraut, and she asked me "Why do you do this to me?"
    ROTFLMAO

You remind me of my little brother

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarmed View Post
    I know the leftover juice from commercial pigs feet and sausages works, but every time I have tried to pickle eggs from scratch, they turn purple. Does anybody have a "solution" for preventing that?
    Yea add some pickeled beet juice and then they will be red.

Good luck

Boolit Buddy
    Help me out here guys.

I remember how my folks used to do it: Big jar of pickled ring baloney (I wish I had some now), eat some baloney, add some eggs.

Kicker is they used to just keep it in a cupboard, not refrigerated. Not to be a pansy, but is this "food safe"? I know the vinegar preserves a lot of things, but sick time is so precious any more.

Would you refrigerate the eggs if you re-used vinegar from some other product?

They make a spicy, pickled okra here locally that is really good, I might have to get me some to set a few eggs aside in.

Mmmmmm, spicy and tart at the same time. I wonder, would an ale or a pilsner be most appropriate for this meal...... Might have to have some of both

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    And you probably washed it all down with a Dark Beer.
    WORK TO LIVE, LIVE TO HUNT
    SHOOT ONCE, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Boolit Grand Master

GSM, I refrigerate mine. I can't see a reason not to.

If you want some pickled eggs that talk to you all the way through, get yorself a gallon jar of sliced jalapeno's for topping nacho's. Pour all the liquid in a pan and toss in a handfull of pickling spices and 4-5 cloves of crushed garlic, then bring it to a boil. When cooled down some, throw in a big onion that's been halved and sliced thin, about a quart's worth of the jalapeno slices, and your peeled eggs. Leave them sit for about a week or two in the fridge. Freeze the rest of the chilies for chili or something.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by GSM View Post

I remember how my folks used to do it: Big jar of pickled ring baloney (I wish I had some now)

Are you from kentucky? They sell pickled baloney there...........I brought 2 jars back with me from our last trip to visit the son I have that lives N. of Bowling Green.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    If you want some pickled eggs that talk to you all the way through, get yorself a gallon jar of sliced jalapeno's for topping nacho's. Pour all the liquid in a pan and toss in a handfull of pickling spices and 4-5 cloves of crushed garlic, then bring it to a boil. When cooled down some, throw in a big onion that's been halved and sliced thin, about a quart's worth of the jalapeno slices, and your peeled eggs. Leave them sit for about a week or two in the fridge. Freeze the rest of the chilies for chili or something.
    No way man. Does the expression "screamin demons" or "barbarians at the gate" maen anything to ya?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast