Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Alox before PC?

Boolit Mold

Removing Alox before PC?

I just started powder coating today. I have a decent stash of boolits that had been lightly alox coated and sized with a Lee push through sizer after casting, but were not re-lubed afterwards. So they have a very light coating of alox. I stripped almost all of the alox with a long soak in mineral spirits, and then gave them a quick wiping with paper towels to remove what was left of it. This seems to have mostly cleaned them off. This appears to have worked. Although the coating required two coats, and wasn't quite as smooth as I hoped, it is hard and doesn't flake even when hammered flat.
    Does anyone here coat over alox? Do I need to remove it completely before powder coating, or am I wasting my time?
    Any other suggestions for cleaning off the rest of my lightly alox lubed bullets before powder coating?

Boolit Buddy
    Pc will not stick if the surface is not clean. I clean mine with acetone so it doesn't leave any residue. I use the harbor freight pc gun one coat one bake. They come out perfect everytime.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I remove all alox completely. A quick swirl in a little gasoline in a coffee or bean can will get it all off, and a quicker swirl in a little thinner or acetone will get all of the gas smell and any residual oils off of them, and as soon as they are all dry (just a few minutes if spread out well), you're good to go!

edit: Poodleshooter, do this outside and don't put your head down in the coffee can.
    Last edited by Beagle333; 01-18-2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: geez.......
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I poorly cleaned some alox bullets a while back before PC. Fail. PC won't stick well enough. Mineral spirits, wipe off and let dry well. Please don't use gasoline to clean anything, valorizes too much and you are using heat to both PC and cast. Acetone is as bad or worse as you are breathing a carcinogen and it is highly flammable. No, I'm not a green nut, but be safe......

Boolit Master

I'd just load them and shoot them up, but that's just me.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned

^ Me too

Boolit Master

I as well would just shoot them, but I am probably lazier than most.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Man
    One minute in boiling water and they are clean

Bill

Boolit Mold
    Well, they did accept a coating, it stayed nice and glossy, and I'm not getting any flaking or peeling, but coverage wasn't spectacular using a basic cool whip bowl shake and bake. I think the alox impeded adhesion of the dry powder. That answers that question!

Seems like a lot of work to take a boolit that will shoot and.......well, make it a boolit that will shoot. I'd melt and recast or just put them down range as others have suggested.

Boolit Mold
    I grew tired of the great clouds of alox smoke, and cleaning and coating was easier than new casting.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WMB30 View Post
    One minute in boiling water and they are clean

Bill
    This was not my experience. I had read that boiling water would remove LLA so I gave it a try. After 10 min I dumped the water out and they still had lube. So I wiped out the lube from the pan using a paper towel, filled it back up with water and boolits, and heated it to a boil again. I did this maybe 5 times before I figured they were "good enough" That batch of boolits ultimately didn't coat very well, but probably well enough. I posted a pic of of my coated boolits in the Shenanigans thread. You can tell which ones I removed the lube from just by looking.

Boolit Buddy
    Personally, I found the most effective way for me was to put all my cast lead into a bucket and add thinner (half a cup to 40 lbs of boolits or so) and tumble them, then pour off the fluid.. do this once more, pouring off as much fluid as you can. I throw in a couple of paper towels, and tumble them a little more in the bucket. Remove the paper.. Then I transfer the boolits to a thick towel (it'll wash clean later), pour another half cup of thinner on top of them.. Spread them out like you're going to roll a cigarette, roll them up, grab the ends and swish the boolits back and forth. This does a great job removing all oils, lubes, waxes and greases. A little time intensive but worth it for big batches.

Boolit Master

i coated some alox boolits just to see what would happen, coverage wasnt great but after a trip to the oven it stayed put, they looked speckled and shot fine, if you just wanna use as paper killers they will be fine.

Boolit Bub
    Brake clean gets it off instantly.

Boolit Man
    There is another thread on this subject:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...powder-coating

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Boolits need to be perfectly clean before PCing. I think mineral sprits or paint thinner could still leave a residue. I would go with acetone or break cleaner (more or less the same thing as acetone I believe).

Banned

it would get expensive cleaning bullets with break clean. Why not just toss them in the pot and recast them? That way your sure.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    it would get expensive cleaning bullets with break clean. Why not just toss them in the pot and recast them? That way your sure.
    That’s a good point.

I used isopropyl alcohol 99% only when I sized my boolits with a Lee sizing die. Furthermore, I would make gradual reductions if needed so for example, if I had a cast boolit measuring .312 and needed .309. I would use a sizing die .311 or .310 first then a .309 sizing die. Bonus, you don't have to clean the boolits after. The alcohol evaporated after.

However, using this technique with my NOE sizing die set made them rust! Oops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast