Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else noting super poor quality of Lee moulds lately?

Boolit Master
    Most of my experience with Lee has been anywhere from 10 to 17 years ago, but all of it was bad: Lee LoadMaster press, Lee dies, Less FCD's, Lee moulds, and Lee trimmers. I won't buy anything else from them. If you want to call that "Lee bashing", go ahead. I look at it more like providing a public service announcement, and a friendly warning.

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

Boolit Master

Only problem I have had is some slightly undersize gas check shanks on a couple of molds in the .30 caliber to .311 (7.62x39) size. Easy to fix.

Have Lee molds for .357, .40 S&W, .45ACP and .45 Colt and they have been great.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Lee bashing is nothing new and it seems that many are bent on continuing this .

Ben
    Is it bashing when you're speaking of your actual experiences? A lot of my equipment is Lee. I still have it because it's worked perfectly from the start. Can't say this for their molds. I'm one to usually step in and defend Lee because w/out them most wouldn't get into reloading/casting. Their prices keep other manufacturer's prices in check. I can't defend their molds. I sold off the ones that worked and haven't regretted it one bit.

On Heaven's Range

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Is it bashing when you're speaking of your actual experiences?
    ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!!

If the LEE apologists don't want to hear of the end users' REAL EXPERIENCES, they had better just clam up and not start discussion threads about Lee equipment.

I agree that much of the Lee production creates useful and workable gear for handloaders,..... no argument there. I too have some Lee moulds that do rather well for me. They aren't the equivalent of NOE or LBT, but they don't cost anywhere near as much, either.

I recently bought a six-cavity Lee 9mm mould. After almost fifty years of casting, including use of many Lee moulds as well as dozens of moulds from other makers, I will say that this is the LAST six-cavity Lee that I will ever buy. It is dreck. It will be replaced with a Lyman 356402 as soon as I can manage the switch.

Now, that's an honest assessment from an experienced caster. If some choose to regard it as "bashing"..... oh, well.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    What do you mean lately. I've had good & bad ones. I know when I buy its a krap shoot.
    I began handloading many years ago and heard these things about Lee products generally (I worked in a sporting goods store in high school). Later, when I started casting, I heard the same things so I always stuck with RCBS, Redding, Magma, H&G, Saeco, LBT and some Lyman. I have never been happier that I avoided LEE like the plague. As said earlier........their products are a Krap-Shoot at best which makes getting it right a pain in the butt.

Boolit Master
    My time is worth much more than the cost difference between a Lee mold and a quality custom NOE or Mihec. I learned to cast with Lee molds. Once i understood how to cast, I moved up to better quality tools. Just like in any other undertaking, the longer you do it and the better you get at it, the better the tools you demand.

Boolit Grand Master

There is a reason that on the bottom of the order form for LEE molds it says . . .

People that bought LEE molds also bought . . .

Lottery tickets.
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    There is a reason that on the bottom of the order form for LEE molds it says . . .

People that bought LEE molds also bought . . .

Lottery tickets.

I'm not a Lee basher--I default to Lee dies whenever they are available and I happily use tons of their products--but the 2 cavity molds are a real gamble lately.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Well, dang. I bought Lee molds whenever they first started making them, then got out of reloading for 20 years or so. Got back in 5 years ago and have bought several 2 and 6 cavities. They all work. Had a few glitches, easily fixed with advice mostly from here. Boolits not as pretty as RCBS molds, but they're lighter and quicker. Shoot good, too.

I own 1 Lee mould, it is a .475 400 gr double cavity. I casted about 800 bullets with it. The quality of the bullet was as expected for a $20 mold. It was half of the cost of one set of handles from RCBS. I haven't decided if I am going to load them or melt them down and start over. If I load a hundred or so I guess that will have paid for the mold. I didn't expect much from them and I don't feel like I am out of much either.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have been casting for 50 some odd years - most of it for BP. But, as I discovered "cartridges" - my mold collection seems to be growing. Over the years, I've used Lee, Lyman/Ideal, RCBS, OHaus, Winchester, Palmetto, NOE and a few other brands of molds. I have probably 15 or so Lee molds and for the most part, have always been very satisfied with them and they have served me well. BUT, earlier this past summer, I ordered about 3 Lee molds from a good vendor here who gives excellent service. When I got one of the molds, the alignment pin furthest from the handles wasn't even seated in the block nor did it protrude through for the alignment hole. The handle bolt looked like the nut had been put on 1 turn (OK - I have wrenches). Before doing anything, I contacted the vendor who contacted Lee. After several e-mails back and forth and sending pictures - I basically got the "brush off" from whoever was the contact at Lee - let's see . . . I could send it back on my dime and if "they" determined it was defective, they'd replace it, BUT, it was also stated that it was probably due to "me" and that I wasn't using the mold correctly. Hmmm . . . must be my 50 years of casting experience and literally thousands of casts were faulty? I clearly showed in the photos not only the loose handles and the alignment pin that had never been pressed in . . . but the misaligned cavities as well when the mold was closed and all edges of the blocks aligned. In one of their e-mails, they told me to just punch in the alignment pin and peen it in and in the next paragraph warned me that any alterations would void the warranty. Huh?

Yes . . . I know that the Lee molds are very reasonably priced and I take those things in to consideration . . but that is no excuse for poor quality control and a faulty product. . . nor for the "attitude" I got from their e-mail as I was trying to be very polite about it all. The vendor finally told me to send it to them and they would replace it . . which I refused to do. I was in business for many years and I know how some companies refuse to "make it right" and the vendor ends up "eating" the problem. The vendor has been very good in all my dealings with them and I refuse to "put it on them". So . . . I ate the $20.00 and in the future, I will be more cautious. I have since ordered several other Lee molds from the vendor but have requested that he open them up and inspect them before shipping . . and when I received them, the adhesive strips on the blocks were broken so I know he inspected them.

Will I continue to purchase Lee products . . . it all depends on what I'm looking for. I use a Lee turret press and a variety of Lee sizers and dies - no complaints. But, as I add more calibers to my reloading, I'm finding that I am looking to other makes of dies as well even if I have to pay a little more. The whole experience over a $20 mold has left a bitter taste at times - especially when photos were submitted, it was obviously "faulty" but their policy was for the customer to pay the return postage to get a problem corrected that should never have left the factory that way.

Yea . . . I'll probably buy more Lee molds but only if the seller inspects them before shipping. . . and the only reason will be to try a certain bullet design and gr. weight. Once tried, I'll peddle the mold and replace it with a good NOE or other brand whether it be Lyman, RCBS, etc. I'm finding that I have been doing that and I couldn't be happier with the changes.

Am I "Lee bashing" . . . I'll leave that up to the reader's interpretation but I'm not intending it to be. I'm just stating my experience. Like any manufactured product, there will be "bad ones" once in a while . . . but the way to keep repeated purchases from a customer going is to make a problem "right" when one occurs and not lay the blame on the customer or cause further expense to them to correct a problem that started on their end. I'm used to dealing with companies such as Ruger and others who provide such things as return postage when a manufacturing problem occurs at their end. If a problem is "my fault" - I fully expect to pay for it.

Just my 2 cents worth which ain't worth a plug nickel anymore . . . .

Banned

This ^^^ is not Lee Bashing. You discussed, in detail, why you had a problem with a Lee Precision product. An excellent post. It was not a categorical throw-away statement such as "All Lee products are junk" Also, a few of the Lee Bashers are clearly elitists which is one of the worst traits a man can have, in my opinion. I am a Elitist Basher.

I wonder if the people at Lee ever log on and read this stuff. What could be more instructive? A few changes and they would be loved by the casting community.

Banned

Yes they do. I was showing some things that were bad about a mould and said something about it. Brian repeated exactly what I said on hear to me about what I said. They will not ever refund shipping.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    This ^^^ is not Lee Bashing. You discussed, in detail, why you had a problem with a Lee Precision product. An excellent post. It was not a categorical throw-away statement such as "All Lee products are junk" Also, a few of the Lee Bashers are clearly elitists which is one of the worst traits a man can have, in my opinion. I am a Elitist Basher.
    Wow! I've read a lot of posts on LEE, can't remember ever seeing one that said . . . "All LEE products are junk".

I've had LEE molds, literally as in "had". Regardless of price I found them to not be worth the effort, frustration & time to get them to do what I bought them to do or even need to fix it before I ever use it. I don't buy any tool to see what I can do to make it work, not molds, not a screw driver or wrench. I guess I'm an elitist but I buy any tool for one purpose, to do what I bought it to do. LEE molds MIGHT. I might win at the lottery too . . . Some folks say they have had good luck with LEE molds, I can't say that, I'm batting 1000.

Many other LEE tools are fine and some I recommend, not the molds.

No doubt I could have many more molds than I do if they were LEE but this elitist would much rather save up and buy a tool that does what I bought for.

The little ole elitist, Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Anybody else noting super poor quality of Lee moulds lately?

So if I bash an elitist basher does that make me an elitist basher basher? And if it does and someone bashes me does that make them an elitist basher basher basher? This can go on for a long time at this rate :laugh:

Boolit Grand Master
    For production casting lots of handgun bullets to be fired at short range a 6 cav Lee mould is hard to beat. Other than that I avoid them.
    A Chevy will get you around town but a Mercedes will make the drive more enjoyable.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

I tried lee molds in the beginning ,it was a start I made some boolits, shoot them and did a lot of learning, I wanted better results, so I got molds from Accurate,NOE some new and used Lyman and RCBS molds and a lyman sizer, I would say for a $25.00 mold I got my money's worth. I do not plain on buying any more lee molds , I do have to pay a lot more for molds than $25.00

Boolit Grand Master
    Is an elitist someone who won't own a Lee product or is an elitist someone who belittles others for owning Lee products?

There are products I prefer not to own but I keep my mouth shut when speaking to others. Am I an elitist or a mild mannered guy who just knows what he likes?
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

"...an elitist someone who belittles others for owning Lee products?"

This would fit my definition. Some cannot afford molds other than a Lee. Nothing wrong with Lee if that is what the budget allows. I agree with Ben:

"Lee bashing is nothing new and it seems that many are bent on continuing this ."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast