RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Dazed and Confused

Dazed and Confused

OK, so here’s the deal. Just got into PC’ing and did a boatload of 405gr hollow base for my 45-70. Asadvertised, the diameter of the bullet grew from .459 to .461ish. No big dealright? Just resize, load and shoot. Aquick visit to Midway, order a Lee push through sizer, wait a few days andBINGO! Range time.
    Problem is, Lee doesn’t make a sizer is .459. They DO makeone in .457. Say what?? I’ve always been under the impression, when shootinglead, to oversize the boolit by .001. Makes sense and has always worked for mein all my other guns. If this is the general theory, than what the heck do yousize with a .457?? I can’t find a single weapon that is chambered in .456! Are some of the early Trapdoors undersized oram I missing something besides the $43 if cost me to special order a .459 diefrom Lee. I guess I’ll find out how these pretty new boolits shoot in 60 dayswhen my new die arrives.

Boolit Master
    Had a big prob w a sizer that was just a tad to small so I opened it up .002 and this is the thread on how I did it with a cast bullet already sized and chucked into a drill using valve lapping compound

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ed-a-lee-sizer

Boolit Master
    Should take you no more than 10 mins doing three passes at 1 min each

I have Lee sizing dies in .458, 459 and 460 for my 45-70... I purchased from ebay a few years ago but havent seen one in quite a while... You can contact BuckShot to see if he will make you a .459 sizing die. He made some dies for me and they are much better then Lee dies!

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Doc Holliday View Post
    I have Lee sizing dies in .458, 459 and 460 for my 45-70... I purchased from ebay a few years ago but havent seen one in quite a while... You can contact BuckShot to see if he will make you a .459 sizing die. He made some dies for me and they are much better then Lee dies!
    Sorry everyone...just noticed I posted this tread twice. Sucks to be a newbie. Anyway Doc, that's good info. So Lee actually made sizing dies that worked, discontinued them and kept the one of four that serves no purpose? Wow!! I'll keep Buckshot in mind the next time I want a sizing die.

Moderator Emeritus

Track of the Wolf has one for $21.19 in .459
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...1/LEE-SIZE-459

That is where I got mine.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Track of the Wolf has one for $21.19 in .459
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...1/LEE-SIZE-459

That is where I got mine.

Ron
    Thanks for the info. Kind of weird that Lee doesn't offer this die through Titan or their own website. Makes me wonder what's going on with them. Lesson learned. Should have ask you all first before ordering.

Boolit Master
    Not a big deal; a little dry/wet 320-400 grit sand paper wrapped around a split rod and chucked into a drill is all it'll take. In a bit of no time you'll have your .457 die honed to .459. Just go slow and check often by sizing boolits until you are at your intended diameter.

Boolit Buddy

Calipers on the die itself

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Not a big deal; a little dry/wet 320-400 grit sand paper wrapped around a split rod and chucked into a drill is all it'll take. In a bit of no time you'll have your .457 die honed to .459. Just go slow and check often by sizing boolits until you are at your intended diameter.
    I understand how to grind out the die. How do I check for deminisons? Resize another bullet thru the press? Or am I able to use a set of calipers?
    Ed
    Last edited by Eddie17; 01-13-2015 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Add info

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Yes, run another boolit through it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Deff the best way is to check w a bullet. Gives you real time changes.
    i would suggest clean and wire brush the inside of the die before you size a bullet through it to make sure your getting a "good clean" sizing