MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: schmidt rubin

OP says he has a model 1889. GP-11 should not be fired in the 1889; cases for reloading should be shortened to 2.1" to avoid pinching the bullet in the shorter 1889 chamber. Throats are VERY generous; the original cartridge used a lead paper patched bullet with an iron nose cap; the diameter over the paper patching was close to .320. The groove diameter past the throat, however, was about .310. It can be a challenge to get these to shoot up to the accuracy standards of the later Swiss rifles.

Respectfully,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Master
    All the Swiss rifles are extremely well made and at least have a potential for excellent accuracy. But if you really have an 1889, ammunition made for the 1911 and later rifles should not be used in it. I don't think the danger is great, and I believe the Swiss army did authorize its use in the 1889 for emergencies. But in emergencies people do take risks, even if it might only be a progressively damaged rifle, and the user getting a nasty fright.

The 1889 has a longer action than the 1911 (which itself is long), and you will see them illustrated on www.swissrifles.com . The bolt actuating and locking sleeve in both has helical slots. But in the 1889 these grooves come between the locking lugs and the shoulder of the bolt, and so are compressed by breech pressure. In the 1911 action the lugs are adjacent to that shoulder, and the helical grooves aren't stressed by breech pressure.

The case neck and throat of the 1889 chamber are very wide. So a bullet of .308 or so (fine for the rifling) is liable to tip. A bullet expanding the neck to a close fit in the chamber will be swaged down quite drastically in the throat. A jacketed one would produce excessive pressure. Patched lead shouldn't do that, but is liable to take on fins at the rear of the lands, even through the paper. The Swiss solution was to have a heel bullet, although by less than the thick ness of the case neck.

A possible solution, which I haven't adequately tested, would be to make a true 8mm. (.315in.) cast bullet for patching, but under the patch have a disc cut from 8mm. aluminium rod. That should be less inclined to form fins, and since aluminium doesn't solder easily, should drop away with the paper patch.

Boolit Buddy
    I want to thank everybody for their response. I don't cast so where do I get the bullets and brass and where to start . I cleaned it and the bore and rifling look really good .

Boolit Master

The cheapest source of brass is Graf & Sons:
    http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/12649

Before loading anything, read this article:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Rifles-Article

My favorite cast bullet powder, SR4759, was just discontinued. Next in line for me would be 2400. There is a relatively new powder on the market, Trail Boss, which you would do well to look at, as it makes double powder charges very unlikely. A double powder charge will ruin your day (and your rifle).

There are a wide variety of sources of cast bullets. Amongst them is to ask on the sub forum here for bullets of a style you want to test. There are also commercial casters. Someone will be glad to send you some, if you refund the postage. With no experience with the 1889 chamber, and based only on what I have read here and at the SwissRifles website, I would probably start first with a Lovern design, with gas check, about .311" diameter.