Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My 44-40 Black Powder Journey

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to hear this. Prayers for his family and friends.

On a separate note, this thread really does need to be a sticky.

Sad news.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Gentlemen - with a sad heart my good friend and shooting companion w30wcf aka ...
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

passed on to his Lord and Savior on March 23,2018. He will be sorely missed by many
    RIP John

Boolit Master
    Make this a sticky.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, please make this a sticky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have come along to this thread ver late, I am loading for both a Uberti '73 carbine and a Henry , both in .44-40 WCF, I would like to thank the late Jack Christian for his wonderful work which has set me up to achieve the mythical 40 grains of FFFg that I was always told was not possible in the modern case which is not balloon headed like the originals. I have just loaded 20 compressed loads using an original Winchester .44 mould, pure lead bullet, but will later correct that. I normally only ever loaded 31 grains of FFFg as that was all I thought could be fitted into the modern case.
    My sincere condolences to Jacks' family and friends, an obvious great loss to the Cast Boolit brotherhood as well.

Kindest regards
    Gordon
    Keep yor hoss well shod an' yo powda dry !

Boolit Mold
    Great Info, thanks!

John Kort (as I knew him) helped me turn a cantankerous 1873 Uberti in 44WCF into one of the most accurate and fun rifles that I ever shot.
    One of the few regrets that I have is never looking him in the eye and shaking his hand. Swiss 2F and the 44WCF are a marriage made in heaven.

Boolit Mold
    That Mav Dutchman in 9-10 brinell with 24 gns. 3F Swiss, CCI primers, SPG, sized 430 in a steel frame Henry will put one right behind the other at 50y. Caution. Pure lead will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzeee View Post
    ....... with 24 gns. 3F Swiss, CCI primers, SPG, sized 430.....
    Do you mean 34 grains of Swiss 3F? 24 grains would leave a lot of airspace.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritzeee View Post
    That Mav Dutchman in 9-10 brinell with 24 gns. 3F Swiss, CCI primers, SPG, sized 430 in a steel frame Henry will put one right behind the other at 50y. Caution. Pure lead will not work.
    Pure lead used to work in the old days - its more difficult to cast with, but compensates in superb expansion for hunting - maybe the dutchman design with that big monster lube groove is distorting on launch ?

Boolit Mold
    good morning. I'm have having a beautiful Colorado snow day. I have a question loading bp for 44 40 reloads for my 73 winchester 24", built in 1886. I have had the rifle inspected by my master gunsmith and she is good to shot. I have years of reloading all kinds of antique ammo using modern powders and substitute powders. Reloading Specs: Star brass, Schuetzen FFG, 200 grn lead, greased with crisco. After doing a few months of research I have found a variety of load suggestions. 2.2 dipper or 39 grain recommended by Goetz (specs found on their website), or my smith recommended 35.
    Should I use a lighter load of bp topped off with creme of wheat to protect the rifle. Thank you for all your responses.
    Last edited by rjmarder; 03-10-2022 at 01:15 PM.
    Randy

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Full charge BP load will be quite satisfactory.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmarder View Post
    good morning. I'm have having a beautiful Colorado snow day. I have a question loading bp for 44 40 reloads for my 73 winchester 24", built in 1886. I have had the rifle inspected by my master gunsmith and she is good to shot. I have years of reloading all kinds of antique ammo using modern powders and substitute powders. Reloading Specs: Star brass, Schuetzen FFG, 200 grn lead, greased with crisco. After doing a few months of research I have found a variety of load suggestions. 2.2 dipper or 39 grain recommended by Goetz (specs found on their website), or my smith recommended 35.
    Should I use a lighter load of bp topped off with creme of wheat to protect the rifle. Thank you for all your responses.
    In our litigious society, you probably won't find many who are eager to answer that question.

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee 2.2cc dipper throws about 35 grains of black powder. I use that for full-power loads under a 219 grain bullet. From the 24" barrel of my Uberti 1873 Sporting Rifle, it averages a bit over 1300 FPS when using Swiss. Goex is less energetic so it will deliver lower velocities.

Enjoy your "new" rifle!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Pure lead used to work in the old days - its more difficult to cast with, but compensates in superb expansion for hunting - maybe the dutchman design with that big monster lube groove is distorting on launch ?
    Back in the 1980s through the mid 1990s I owned a beat-up on the outside but fully functional on the inside 1873 Winchester made in 1887. It was a special order rifle with a round 28" barrel. Originally a 38 WCF the inside of the barrel looked like the proverbial sewer pipe. I had Clifford LaBounty re-bore and re-line it to a .428" 44 WCF. I used Rem or Win brass and loaded 36g of FFFg behind Lyman's 200g RNFP bullet. Alloy was 1-20 and I lubed them with SPG. The memory fades but as I recall they chronographed at a something over 1300 fps.

Shot it for close to 10 years in CAS matches. Back then they expected you to actually be able to shoot so rifle targets would go out to 60 or 70 yards on occasion. That rifle never missed one of those longer shots, even after firing 8 or 9 rounds at closer targets. On a clear still day at the range I shot a 7" five shot group from a sandbag rest at 200 yards with the original barrel mounted sights. And yes, my eyes were much better back then. (smile)

My $.02 would be, don't down load it. Learn what it was like to shoot it in the old days, with BP ammo performing at the same level as the original. But, that's me and what I did with my rifle. Your gun, your choice at your comfort level.

Dave

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    ^^^^This^^^^[
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    NO! FFg Schuetzen is already well down the road to reduced pressure

Boolit Mold
    Again I wish to thank everyone for your input. Yesterday to be safe, I took some test shots with my new winchester golden boy. It became clear how much lower the pressures are using BP over modern powders, I than shot 73 using a full BP load as recommended above. Now that i have some BP experience, I understand why there is no need to cut any BP loads in the future. Easy peasy
    Randy

It became clear how much lower the pressures are using BP over modern powders, I than shot 73 using a full BP load as recommended above. Now that i have some BP experience, I understand why there is no need to cut any BP loads in the future. Easy peasy
    Fun aint it?

Don't let the "low" BP pressures fool you. Full load BP pressures today are not the same as they were yesteryear. While modern BP pressures are between 6,000psi and 10,000psi pending which powders and components are used and how much, original BP loads in original brass produced a bit more pressures, based on my amature tests, between 13,000psi to 14,000psi. Those higher pressure BP loads did not have the same impact on the arms as did the same pressures as with the later faster burning smokeless powders. Winchester didn't use pistol powders in their factory 44-40 loads until about 1950 when they switched from a lower pressure rifle powder to faster burning, higher pressure ball powders. By 1978, they started using flake powders that resemble Unique.

If you are really bored, check out the 44-40 smokeless powder transition years
    https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...ansition-years

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234