Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Potential for pitted barrels?

Potential for pitted barrels?

Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this situation?
    We have often seen surprisingly good shooting from some pretty ugly barrels in pistols, but I've not seen the same from rifles.
    I've had decent success with PC, even to the extent of heat treating to mid 20s bhn , sizing large (.312) while seating the gas check....and even lubing normally while I'm there.

I have a project 1893 MARLIN rifle I was considering to have relined. The bore has extremely strong rifling, but some sad pitting too. It occurred to me that the PC on A hard, gas checked slug MIGHT actually shoot ok to 50-75 yards. I think I'll lap polish the bore and try the full boolit treatment above before going to the reline route, as this will never be a showpiece....but only a curio shooter even when cleaned up and lightly refinished. While the action is smooth and tight, the case hardening is 98% gone, the patina is in takeover state, it's seen LOTS of years in the saddle and weather. This old iron has earned a place in the resting rack but cries to shoot again.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Buddy
    It never hurts to try. I've got a couple of old Yugo Mausers, one of which has some bad pitting in the bore...None by the crown, which might cause problems. Probably a combination of corrosive primers and time. She still shoots OK, I get 4-inch to 6-inch groups at 100 yards with iron sights. Haven't tried PC bullets in it yet, but I don't think it should hurt any. I think you'll be fine, but let us know how it turns out!!

Boolit Master

You never know until you try. Pitted barrels are funny. I have had some old mausers that shot fine with pitted barrels, others that would not. I would think cast boolits in a badly pitted bore would lead quickly, but powdercoating just may solve that problem. Of course there is also copper coating!