MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Just the facts: Lube recipes

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    45nut ... instead of banging out 10 pages of lube recipes, read this link, the"mother of lube recipes"
    http://www.lasc.us/lubeingredients.htm
    Last edited by John Boy; 04-10-2021 at 03:48 PM.
    Regards
    John

This is the only lube I've ever made/used. I put piece of a green crayola in it for the RCBS look
    Sprue ™

Boolit Mold
    I use equal parts beeswax and bag balm. That is also my recipe for mustache wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprue View Post
    This is the only lube I've ever made/used. I put piece of a green crayola in it for the RCBS look
    What do you mean by “this”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realize that I haven’t been a member for long, and that I have only read “the tip of the iceberg” when it comes to lube recipes, I am intrigued by the 45/45/10 mix, and wondered if anyone had thought of using Butchers wax instead of JPW? also thought of using turpentine instead of mineral spirits. How about that?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwrx View Post
    I realize that I haven’t been a member for long, and that I have only read “the tip of the iceberg” when it comes to lube recipes, I am intrigued by the 45/45/10 mix, and wondered if anyone had thought of using Butchers wax instead of JPW? also thought of using turpentine instead of mineral spirits. How about that?
    those are good questions.

the easy one first...Yes turpentine will work just fine.

a quick search of Butcher's came up with same ingredients as JPW (Solvent, Paraffin, Carnauba)...and since it has a similar application, it's probably a similar formula, so it "may" be ok to use in the same percentage in 45-45-10...BUT too much carnauba wax in a boolit lube can lead to fliers in rifle cartridges, so if that happens, just use less Butcher's.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

BJ's Lube
    6 parts white beeswax
    3 parts Manteca Lard
    1 part Lanolin Oil
    Heat and Stir then pour it into your pan for pan lubing or into PVC 1" tubes to make sticks for your lube/sizer
    Works for me! EZ PZY!

Black powder lube from paul mathews book:
    Beeswax - 2 parts
    Pure neatsfoot oil - 1 part
    Murpheys oil soap - 1 part

Edit: warning, make sure that you use a big pot because when you add the murpheys, that stuff will swell up quick and leave a big mess on your stove top and the wife wont let you forget it either.
    Last edited by almar; 01-11-2022 at 12:28 AM.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    Black powder lube from paul mathews book:
    Beeswax - 2 parts
    Pure neatsfoot oil - 1 part
    Murpheys oil soap - 1 part

Edit: warning, make sure that you use a big pot because when you add the murpheys, that stuff will swell up quick and leave a big mess on your stove top and the wife wont let you forget it either.
    Why do you use Murphy Oil Soap?
    What does that do for the lube?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Bee's wax is the actual lube.

Neetsfoot oil doesn't spoil in storage. It leaves a very small bore residue and softens the wax for easy application on bullets.

Pure soap (Murphy's) softens the fired crud and helps water clean it out.

The mixed ratios of the three components are not critical.

Boolit Grand Master

This is a very simple and very effective lube . It was commercially made and sold by Garth Choate in the 1970's . In 1978 I called to place an order for sticks of their 50-50 alox-beeswax (NRA formula)
    Garth answered the phone and he was telling me the old Alox formula was no more and he wasn't thrilled with the new formula Alox he could get ...But his other lube was made of Lithium Grease & beeswax and he believed it was a better lube and told me if I wasn't satisfied he would refund my money or send the alox-beeswax lube to replace it . Well the stuff worked and I liked it and over the years I would try other lubes ...and come back to the lithium-beeswax lube .
    About 2012 I needed more and tried to place an order but was told they no longer made lube but gave me the recipe and told me it was easy to make .
    blend together : 1 part Lithium Grease with 3 parts Beeswax . That's it !
    The lithium grease doesn't melt with heat only softens , the beeswax will flash at 450 degrees and burn ...it's dangerous and keep a fire extinguisher handy .
    I find melting it in an old crock pot is safest , set the pot on high and use a hevy wire whisk to blend the grease and wax . It's hard to blend in one heating ... do three heatings and whiskings ...turn off and let cool between ... the grease will not "melt" it softens and must be mechanically mixed into the beeswax ...letting cool and repeating seems to help the blending / mixing process .
    I melt the finished lube and pour it into my Lyman 450 ...or you can cast lube sticks .
    I like to use Lucas Red-N-Tacky Lithium Grease ... it makes a nice red colored lube .
    I've never had a leading problem when using it ...Never , that's why I keep coming back to it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Time to move this thread into the archive
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    All Season Emmerts Lanolin Enhanced No Oil Lube

I call this lube mix “ASELENOL” this is an acronym of its full name.

On the Cast Bullets forum 24 July 2019, poster Dale53 says:
    “I now (and for may years) have used a modified Emmert’s recipe consisting of: 50% pure natural beeswax, 40% Crisco and 10% Anhydrous Lanolin.The liquid oil component has been eliminated. It handles and shoots the same and it seems to last forever. A definite improvement and my go to formula for Black Powder Cartridge Rifles and Handguns as well as my Schuetzen lubricant.”
    Note that Dale53’s modified Emmerts formula has no liquid oil in the mixture of ingredients.

I wrote a post in the Cast Boolits Lube Forum where I complained that my Emmerts Improved is causing lube purging in summer hot weather and hot barrel conditions.
    Poster Dale53 replied. He recommended that I drop the oil component entirely in my next batch.
    I also looked at White Label Lube Co. BP lube. White Label says “their has an obscene amount of lanolin in the mix”.

So my next lube batch was a small test batch where I increased the lanolin content from my current 5% to beyond Dale53’s 10% to be a little more like White Label Co. version of BP lube, adding another 4.5% for a total of 14.5% Lanolin.

I have cut back the Crisco by 5 percent to make room for the extra Lanolin as percent must add to 100.
    Also I added half percent of hard Carnauba wax for the bore polishing effect.

I made a 200 gram test batch of ASELENOL
    As Dale53 recommended I eliminated the liquid oil component that is usually in Emmerts lube and like the White Label Co. I increased the amount of Anhydrous Lanolin in the lube.

Hopefully this no oil version with an enhanced quantity of lanolin will work as an all season, all temperature BP & smokeless lube.

All Season Emmerts Lanolin Enhanced No Oil Lube
    The General formula is: Beeswax 50%, Crisco 35%, Lanolin 14.5%, 0.5% Carnauba Wax.

I made a small 200 gram test batch that made 4 solid 1"x4" lube sticks, the format required for my Redding Lubri-sizer.

Component % wt. in g wt. in grains. I hope the nice chart format below will maintain its shape, doubtful though.

Beeswax 50% 100 g = 1,543.2 grains Real BW. I have it in pellet form.

Crisco 35% 70 g = 1,080.2 grains Shortening - no salt added Blue box.

Lanolin 14.5% 29 g = 447.5 grains An Extra 10 percent to make it more like White Label Co. BP lube.

Carnauba 0.5% 1 g = 15.4 grains The hardest wax, supposed to keep the barrel shiny.

Totals 100% 200 g = 3086.3 grains Each stick weighs 50 g or 771.6 grains.

A 796 ml (28oz) soup can was placed on the kitchen digital gram scale the can weighed 79 grams.
    The bees wax then the Crisco then the lanolin were each added to the can until the scale confirmed the required weight increase for that particular ingredient.
    The small amount of Carnauba wax was weighed on my powder grain scale and sprinkled in last.

Melted in the can double boiler style on the kitchen stove.
    The can sitting in an inch of water in the medium size frying pan.
    Not too much water as it would cause the can to float with all the ingredients in the can.

As the sides of the steel can heated the gooey lanolin slid down the can side into the melting BW & Crisco.

Chopping and stirring with a wood tongue depressor speeds melting and mixing of the ingredients.

Poured into my 4 molds and taken outside to -10*C temperature to solidify.

I cut plastic shopping bags to 8.5” x 11” for wrapping the sticks.

This ASELENOL lube version is just slightly more yellow appearance that my previous standard Emmerts Improved lube.
    Next time I'll add a tiny piece of a yellow or orange crayon to darken the appearance of this lube slightly so it easier to distinguish from my standard Emmerts Improved.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 03-25-2022 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Grammar & spelling

Wow!

I read from pages 1 to 11
    Last edited by PP-67; 02-19-2023 at 01:32 AM.
    I'm sorry my English is Google

For the dutchies?
    From "kroon oil" grease nr 2, lithium grease, used in/for hydrolic pistons and bearings
    temp range -25c to 125c.
    With pure fresh clean beewax
    50-50 by volume
    Caster/reloader for 45 years.
    Many thanks to this forum to help me shoot lead in semi auto(223) and my 308 (dad) rifle!!!
    Find the puppy in my profile pic..(4 dogs)

I finally decided to try to do my own, and to say it was a great day, understatement. I did the 50/50 beeswax and lucas red, did a slow melt and mix, used the mold suggestions on the other thread, and low and behold, 6 nice sticks to go in the lube o matic, thanks everyone!!!
    ILSA MEMBER
    CLASS 6 FFL

Well I guess I didnt read it as 50/50, but 1 to 3, mine was way to soft, but easily fixed, re melt re figure and now a nice bunch of stick lube, next into the sizer, Ill let ya know, thx again everyone!
    ILSA MEMBER
    CLASS 6 FFL

Just got some lamb tallow to mix with my bees wax (I’m a beekeeper-Plenty o’ Wax) Currently in Southern California so I’m not worried about extreme temp ranges, however I’ll be moving to IL/WI area in the near future. I’m only Muzzle Loading and CapNball shooting.

Will 50-50 tallow and beeswax be supple enough to use on patches and grease cylinders?
    Member of...
    NMLRA
    NRA

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    Just got some lamb tallow to mix with my bees wax (I’m a beekeeper-Plenty o’ Wax) Currently in Southern California so I’m not worried about extreme temp ranges, however I’ll be moving to IL/WI area in the near future. I’m only Muzzle Loading and CapNball shooting.

Will 50-50 tallow and beeswax be supple enough to use on patches and grease cylinders?
    I'm guessing that will be too hard a mixture for either purpose. A 50/50 mix like that is pretty good for bullet lube. I recently did a 60/40 mix with 60% olive oil, 40% beeswax, and it is a little soft for most bullet lubes, but seems perfect for muzzleloading bullets like the TC maxiballs I used it on. It is still pretty thick to be used for greasing cylinders. It might work for patch lube. I'm pretty sure most people use lamb tallow straight, no mixing for patch and cap and ball uses. I've never tried lamb, but Bear, and Mink tallow are all best used straight, not thickened. Maybe try 25% beeswax if the heat there is a problem. I wouldn't try 50/50.

Follow up on my mistake remake, it works perfect, I have 2 different ones I made and tried, 3 to 1 beeswax to red and tacky, and 3 to 1 beeswax to white labels newer alox 600, added some red candle dye and man this stuff is the bomb, and hardly any smoke, super clean barrel and easy to make, I made mine on my hot plate and bought a candle making pot with handle and pour spout off amazon, made it easy peasy to do! I have a lube o matic so poured all mine into hollow stick form using the molds off here, this place is awesome!!! Thx.
    ILSA MEMBER
    CLASS 6 FFL

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011