MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with powder coating????

Boolit Master

I've bought some powder classified as a Top Coat which is mostly clear with a tinge of copper tint. That stuff really coats with ASBBDT and of course ESPC. I've only sprayed it once without adding the other colors I mix to make a copper color. The coverage was fantastic but the copper color was almost non existent. When tumbled the boolits are smooth as glass but the tint is blotchy. I tried to see if I could make marks by picking up the boolits with hemostats and couldn't do it. The powder just flowed when it liquified. I think the polyester resin being the predominate component of top coat powder is the key to great coverage.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

barrels: better shot out than rusted away......
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker

I heard that Bell Bottoms cure Restless Leg Syndrome, varicose veins, and arthritic knees.
    I saw on TV that copper condom coated braces cured those problems.
    Marketing blogs. I also saw that that brunette would come to my house if I took the little blue pill (or bought the right auto). Of course the wife would slam the door on her.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Humm has anybody PC their barrel,I might just try that in So I can shot uncoated lead without lube.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    I put an order in with Smoke for some clear and I have plenty of naked boolits jest'a wait'n t' put on a coat of it.

Rooster

Boolit Grand Master

I tried to educate some of the old sticks in the mud in the SmithandWesson forum and they cited Dardass' quote as well as rolling their eyes calling it "snake oil". Oh well, sucks being them.
    As soon as I saw the Dardas post I thought of the S&W reloading forum. Each forum has a distinct personality and some of the "old timers" can and do dictate the flow of some threads. A forum "Guru" will make a statement, usually against whatever OP or prior post, and then the followers will jump on the wagon and agree, and the thread turns into a soap box for the old timer and his "facts" echoed by his "yes men". The forum expert has a huge number of posts so he must have extensive knowledge and experience, right?

I too would likee to se a side by side test of PCed bullets vs plain lead bullets, and even throw in jacketed bullets yo make it fair. I would believe extensive testing be needed as any appreciable wear would take several thousand rounds (unless one is shooting hot loaded 22-250s). From what I've researched on my own and read on different forums PC coating bullets isn't a "fad" but a new alternative coating/lube for home casters...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Vendor Sponsor

Clear PC is between 92 and 98% pure Poly

SECTION II - INGREDIENT INFORMATION
    Ingredient CAS Number PERCENTAGE
    1,3,5 TRIGLYCIDYL ISOCYANURATE 2451-62-9 2 -10 %
    SECTION III - HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
    Emergency Overview
    WARNING! MAY FORM COMBUSTIBLE DUST CONCENTRATIONS IN AIR (DURING PROCESSING)

PRIMARY ROUTES OF EXPOSURE: Eyes, Inhalation, Skin

Skin Contact: Incidental contact is not expected to cause irritation. However, exposure to this product may cause an allergic skin reaction and sensitization in some individuals. Repeated overexposure can cause skin dryness and may eventually lead to contact dermatitis.

Eye Contact: May cause slight to mild redness and burning. May cause mechanical irritation.

Inhalation: This product contains ingredients with established airborne exposure limits – see Section VIII. Otherwise it is considered a nuisance dust. No effects are expected when exposures are maintained below the exposure limits of Section VIII. However, exposure to this product may cause an allergic reaction and sensitization in some individuals. Lung and respiratory conditions may be aggravated by exposure.

Ingestion: May cause pain and upset stomach.
    SECTION IV - FIRST AID MEASURES
    Eye Contact: Immediately flush eyes with cool water for 15 minutes, occasionally lifting lids to ensure complete rinsing. Seek medical attention if symptoms persist.

Skin Contact: Wash skin thoroughly with soap and water. Remove and wash clothing and shoes before reuse. Seek medical attention if irritation persists.

Inhalation: Remove to fresh air. If breathing difficulties develop, seek medical attention. If necessary, give artificial respiration.

Ingestion: Seek immediate medical attention. Wash out mouth with water followed by a cupful of water to drink. Repeat if vomiting occurs. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.
    SECTION V - FIRE-FIGHTING MEASURES
    Flash Range: Not Applicable
    Lower Explosion Limit Range: 30 GM/M3 - 90 GM/M3
    Extinguishing Media: Foam, CO2, dry chemical or water spray.
    Fire and Explosion Hazards: An HMIS flammability rating of 1 applies to the product as supplied. However, airborne dust from the product can present a flammability hazard and may form explosive dust mixtures with air. A potentially dangerous situation exists when powder is transferred from a closed container to a process in which dust concentrations are within the explosion (flammability) limits. The concentration of powder dust in air should be maintained outside of the limits.

Firefighting Instructions: Use fully protective equipment with self-contained breathing apparatus.

Explosion: Avoid generating dust; fine dust dispersed in air in sufficient concentrations, and in the presence of an ignition source is a potential dust explosion hazard.
    SECTION VI - ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES
    Sweep up carefully or use explosion-proof vacuum cleaner. Then dispose of in accordance with local, state, and federal regulations.

Dust deposits should not be allowed to accumulate on surfaces, as these may form an explosive mixture if they are released into the atmosphere in sufficient concentration.

Avoid dispersal of dust in the air (i.e., clearing dust surfaces with compressed air).

Nonsparking tools should be used.
    SECTION VII - HANDLING AND STORAGE
    Keep all equipment clean and work areas free from dust. Avoid excessive skin contact. Do not ingest or inhale. Personnel should be trained in the safe handling and proper use of this product.
    Wash thoroughly after handling, especially before eating, drinking, smoking, and using restroom facilities.

Store in a cool, dry, well ventilated area away from heat, ignition sources, and direct sunlight. Keep containers tightly closed. Protect from physical damage.

Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Routine housekeeping should be instituted to ensure that dusts do not accumulate on surfaces. Dry powders can build static electricity charges when subjected to the friction of transfer and mixing operations. Provide adequate precautions, such as electrical grounding and bonding, or inert atmospheres.
    SECTION VIII - EXPOSURE CONTROLS/PERSONAL PROTECTION
    Product ingredients other than ingredients with established airborne exposure limits may be considered under the PEL for particulates not otherwise regulated (nuisance dust).
    Occupational Exposure Limits
    Ingredients ACGIH TLV ACGIH TLV-C ACGIH STEL OSHA STEL OSHA PEL
    1,3,5 TRIGLYCIDYL ISOCYANURATE 0.05 mg/m3 n/est n/est n/est n/est
    NUISANCE DUST 10 mg/m3 N/est N/est N/est 15 mg/m3 (total)
    3 mg/m3 5 mg/m3 (respirable)
    The Health and Safety Executive (Great Britain) has set a rocommened exposure limit for powder coating products containing less than 5% (w/w) Triglycidyl Isocyanurate (TGIC) of 2 mg/m3 [Engineering Information Sheet No 15 (rev2] . This limit value is based on an occupational exposure limit for pure TGIC of 0.1 mg/m3, which differs from the ACGIH TLV given above. Using the ACGIH TLV for TGIC of 0.05 mg/m3 gives a recommended occupational exposure limit for powder coating products containing less than 5% (w/w) TGIC of 1mg/m3. Exposure limits for products containing less than 5% (w/w) or more can be calculated based on the upper TGIC percentage in section II. The formula to calculate limits is "5/(percent TGIC)=mg/m3."
    ENGINEERING CONTROLS: Provide ventilation to keep airborne particulate concentration below established airborne exposure limits (TLV's or PEL's). It is recommended that all dust controls handling this product be explosion proof, contain relief vents, or other commensurate measures. Ensure that dust-handling systems (such as exhaust ducts, dust collectors, vessels, and processing equipment) are designed in a manner to prevent the escape of dust into the work area (i.e., there is no leakage from the equipment). Ventilation equipment, baghouse, and cyclone dust collection should be grounded. Curing ovens and heating chambers should be properly vented to prevent any fumes from entering the workplace.

RESPIRATORS: Use a properly fitted NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator if needed to avoid breathing dust.

SKIN PROTECTION: Protective gloves & clothing recommended.

EYE PROTECTION: Goggles or safety glasses with side-shields recommended.
    SECTION IX - PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
    Form: SOLID POWDER
    Color: TBD
    Odor: NEGLIGIBLE
    Solubility (in water): INSOLUBLE
    pH Value: NOT APPLICABLE
    Boiling Range: NOT APPLICABLE
    Vapor Pressure (mmHg): NOT APPLICABLE
    Melting Point: < 300° F
    Evaporation Rate: NOT APPLICABLE
    Vapor Density: NOT APPLICABLE
    Partition Coefficient: NOT APPLICABLE
    % Volatile Weight: < 1 (one hour at 110° C)
    % Volatile See Above
    Specific Gravity: 1.20
    Molecular Weight: MIXTURE
    SECTION X - STABILITY AND REACTIVITY
    Stability: This product is stable under normal conditions of storage and use.

Hazardous Polymerization: Hazardous polymerization will not occur.

Hazardous decomposition products: Combustion byproducts may contain
    CO, CO2, incompletely burned carbon compounds, NO2 or other
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

TRIGLYCIDYL ISOCYANURATE is added as a chemical hardener from what I see....I doubt if it is abrasive to any extent.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker

Boolit Master
    Are there not many experts that say I cant use cast in my semi autos safely. Until he shows me proof he is just wind.
    jim

Boolit Man
    I run Smokes Clear on my PC'd cast lead bullets thru my Glock 40 S&W without problems.

Bill

Boolit Master

Off topic slightly but best powder I've ever used for any purpose for coating anything is from smoke4320, thousands of rounds out of a dozen or so weapons and no I'll at all, no leading and good accuracy as well

Boolit Buddy
    The REPUBLIC of TEXAS The state most likely to succeed
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Humm has anybody PC their barrel,I might just try that in So I can shot uncoated lead without lube.
    ha ha ha I like the way you think, you old fart, keep us posted.

bb
    Keep your powder dry....blackbike
    :takinWiz:

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=mdi;3080488]As soon as I saw the Dardas post I thought of the S&W reloading forum. Each forum has a distinct personality and some of the "old timers" can and do dictate the flow of some threads. A forum "Guru" will make a statement, usually against whatever OP or prior post, and then the followers will jump on the wagon and agree, and the thread turns into a soap box for the old timer and his "facts" echoed by his "yes men". The forum expert has a huge number of posts so he must have extensive knowledge and experience, right?

Well put, mdi Well put.

I tried to get the "Old Guard" over at the Cast Bullet Assoc. on board with this for quite some time with much of the same skepticism. One very respected member ran some tests that shed good light on the subject, and It's now being accepted by some, and at least looked at by others. I've never tried to promote this as a bench rest technique, but I truly believe in it as a better option for us recreational shooters. As I've posted before, some guns are going to have there own opinion of the rounds you produce no matter what the variable. Keep in mind that it is somewhat hard to do a side by side test of PC vs. lube as you are changing the dimensions of the boolit with PC . As one member has said " Change one instrument in the orchestra and you've changed the whole tune" GP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12